• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150285 to Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Has a class 144 ever been further west than Manchester Victoria - to Salford, Bolton, Wigan etc? Also has one been seen in Piccadilly since Northern started using them to Manchester?

No to the second question because I can't imagine Piccadilly and Oxford Crews sign them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
There are no train crew based at Oxford Road. Manchester Victoria and Barrow are the only west depots to sign 144s. Barrow sign them for working to Heysham Port.

Saxonia

Has a class 144 ever been further west than Manchester Victoria - to Salford, Bolton, Wigan etc? Also has one been seen in Piccadilly since Northern started using them to Manchester?

I would very much doubt that a 144 has ever been west of Man Victoria under the Northern regime - only Man Vic crews sign them, although many of us don't (myself included), & there are many drivers that don't sign them. As for Piccadilly, you can safely say absolutely not.
That said, a class 155 has made it to Clitheroe at least once, & there have also been extremely sporadic appearances at Clitheroe by class 158's. Thw only route that 144's work on to penetrate the ex FNW area, are Calder Valley routes (via Bradford/Brighouse), & Leeds-Skipton-Morecambe-Heysham Harbour.

strange6

Established Member
I would very much doubt that a 144 has ever been west of Man Victoria under the Northern regime - only Man Vic crews sign them, although many of us don't (myself included), & there are many drivers that don't sign them. As for Piccadilly, you can safely say absolutely not.
That said, a class 155 has made it to Clitheroe at least once, & there have also been extremely sporadic appearances at Clitheroe by class 158's. Thw only route that 144's work on to penetrate the ex FNW area, are Calder Valley routes (via Bradford/Brighouse), & Leeds-Skipton-Morecambe-Heysham Harbour.

I have never seen a 144 at Wigan Wallgate and I have been going there regularly from the late 80's

Established Member
Man Vic link signs 144s for the Calder Valley / Leeds service which sees them frequently nowadays.

Saxonia

I have never seen a 144 at Wigan Wallgate and I have been going there regularly from the late 80's

Hard to believe now, but whilst very infrequent, visits by the 144's to Man Piccadilly under ATN were not unknown, & they also found themselves on the odd trip over Copy Pit with York/Leeds-Blackpool Nth services. Then again, appearances over the S+C aren't exactly unknown.

driver9000

Established Member
144s still make the odd appearance on York-Blackpool services along with 155s from time to time. They will only appear on diagrams worked both ways by 'eastern' crews though.

buses7675

Hi All,

I'm sure I've seen a photo of a class 144 at Liverpool Lime Street taken back in the early 1990s.

As fotopic is down though I can't find the photo sadly - I've certainly never seen one here myself!

Cheers

buses7675

pemma

Veteran Member
Hi All,

I'm sure I've seen a photo of a class 144 at Liverpool Lime Street taken back in the early 1990s.

As fotopic is down though I can't find the photo sadly - I've certainly never seen one here myself!

Cheers

buses7675

To me that sounds like either:
1. It was a 143 not a 144.
2. It was filling in for a Sprinter on a TPE service.

Saxonia

To me that sounds like either:
1. It was a 143 not a 144.
2. It was filling in for a Sprinter on a TPE service.

A 143 ?? Somehow, I really don't think so.
The notion of a 144 appearing at Lime St is quite feasible actually - back in the day, Regional Railways ran an hourly service from Leeds via the Calder Valley, Man Victoria & Chat Moss to Liverpool, which saw classes 155, 156 & 158 making daily appearances - a class 144, as well as class 142, must certainly have made it "across the border" at some point or other.

buses7675

A 143 ?? Somehow, I really don't think so.
The notion of a 144 appearing at Lime St is quite feasible actually - back in the day, Regional Railways ran an hourly service from Leeds via the Calder Valley, Man Victoria & Chat Moss to Liverpool, which saw classes 155, 156 & 158 making daily appearances - a class 144, as well as class 142, must certainly have made it "across the border" at some point or other.

Hi All,

The photo I saw was definitely a class 144 as it was in WYPTE Metro Train livery!

If I find the photo anywhere I'll post a link to it

Cheers

buses7675

bluenoxid

Established Member
Just looking at a similar thread on northern railways and it appears to have gone back to ATW.

Saxonia

I worked it on Tuesday, when it had 153328 for company - on Wed, it was noted at NH next to 150150, so I reckon that Tuesday was its last day in service with Northern. A shame to see it go - a pleasant unit, & always felt far less claustrophobic than its Northern brethren.

pemma

Veteran Member
A shame to see it go - a pleasant unit, & always felt far less claustrophobic than its Northern brethren.

The ATW 150 interiors is effectively as similar to the ex-FNW 156s as it can be with the same seating, leg room, arm rests and tables. If 150s like these replaced the Northern 150s they'd really need to be 3 car or a lot of extra people would have to stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.