• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150s - did they have a First Class section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Just a thought that came to me earlier when I was on the Weymouth - Gloucester line; I was sat near the cab at the 'country' end (if such a distinction can be made on that line!) and noticed that the small section between the door and the cab looked like it had at one time been partitioned off.

Was this once a First Class section of the train? Did all the 150s have such a section on them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't recall 150's having first class down my way, but it's possible that provision may have been made for it in the original plans.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Someone who knows better might correct me, but I think the partition doors were there so that an end section could be used to carry parcels. Much like the parcels lockers on the 156s though, I don't think they were used for the intended purpose much.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Ah, that would make sense. I cant imagine the 150s having a First Class section, which is why I wasn't sure. It definitely looked like an area that could be closed off, so a parcel section would make sense - even if such an area would be seldom used, even when the 150s were introduced!

Marklund

The first time I was on a 150 was a Birmingham to Aberystwyth service in the mid 1980s, not long after I first started using my Privs.
I was turfed out of that section on the return leg for parcels to be loaded.

driver9000

Established Member
Ah, that would make sense. I cant imagine the 150s having a First Class section, which is why I wasn't sure. It definitely looked like an area that could be closed off, so a parcel section would make sense - even if such an area would be seldom used, even when the 150s were introduced!

Pacers had the parcels section too and the leading end doors can be isolated to prevent passengers opening them by removing them from the door release circuit. In the 1980s these areas were used more than people expect.

Someone who knows better might correct me, but I think the partition doors were there so that an end section could be used to carry parcels. Much like the parcels lockers on the 156s though, I don't think they were used for the intended purpose much.
Before they were refurbished in 2002/3 the Wessesx Trains 150s still had the sliding door to this compartment in place.

Last edited:

Established Member

Indeed so and the only sprinters to have 1st class have been 158's to my knowledge, possibly 156's might have had a 1st class area when they briefly worked Glasgow - Edinburgh services but if they did I imagine it was Southern style first class:oops:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the 317/5 and /8 fleets at GA still sort of have the section- the seating is longitudinal and can be tipped up.

Established Member
the 317/5 and /8 fleets at GA still sort of have the section- the seating is longitudinal and can be tipped up.

Also the 317/1s on the Great Northern, except they only have longitudinal seating for half of the section.

I also seem to remember the GOBLIN 150s still having the tip-up benches and door right up until they were cascaded elsewhere (they might still have them, never thought to look!).

sprinterguy

Established Member
Indeed so and the only sprinters to have 1st class have been 158's to my knowledge, possibly 156's might have had a 1st class area when they briefly worked Glasgow - Edinburgh services but if they did I imagine it was Southern style first class:oops:
Having discussed it quite recently, the 156s were never fitted with first class, but 156s destined for the Far North line had antimacassars added to a couple of bays of the usual standard class seating, to act as first class as an interim measure when briefly used on Edinburgh to Glasgow services before the 158s were ready.

Only the Scotrail class 158s were fitted with first class from new - Though Transpennine and (I think) Crosscountry units subsequently gained it around privatisation.

tadhatter

I can't imagine the 150s ever needing 1st class - and all also even to bother with a parcels section.

I would have suggested that a smoking/non-smoking section would have been the most likely scenario.

quarella

I can't imagine the 150s ever needing 1st class - and all also even to bother with a parcels section.

I would have suggested that a smoking/non-smoking section would have been the most likely scenario.

Possibly designed with parcels in mind but I am sure at the start of the South Wales and West franchise in the mid nineties it was the smoking area.

Parallel

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I was on a FGW 150/1 that still had the sliding door at the area that could be partitioned off recently, though it was open and I'd imagine FGW have altered it so it cannot be closed. Unless I imagined it, but I'm pretty sure I saw it because I wondered if it was a first class modification at some point!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I did wonder if that might have been a use in the early days, in addition to the parcels use. I'm too young to have observed it but I do remember 150s on Trans-Pennine services in the late 1980s.

The lockers on the 156 were perhaps a more realistic level of provision, and were easily converted to luggage space by being locked open.

Status
Not open for further replies.