• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150s still allocated to long runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty9120

got on a arriva trains service from smethwick yesterday was expecting a doubled up 158 but it was actually a 150 with a 158

the unit looked very old and tired looking. definitely in need of a refurb

do they still run this old units for long distance. it was working hard on the way to bham international. are these units a 75mph top end like the old lm 150s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
got on a arriva trains service from smethwick yesterday was expecting a doubled up 158 but it was actually a 150 with a 158

do they still run this old units for long distance. it was working hard on the way to bham international. are these units a 75mph top end like the old lm 150s

FGW's 06:00 Penzance - Cardiff Central. Over 6 hours. Often a 150/1 with 3+2 seating - no further comment required! :roll:

Established Member
I'll probably be shot for this, but in terms of both comfort and traction preference, give me a 150 over a 170 anyday!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Just wondering what train it was. Had it come from Holyhead ? Not diagrammed for a 150. If it had come from Holyhead, the return goes to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli in which case it would have come off at Shrewsbury as only 158s are authorised to run on the Cambrian.

monty9120

probably come from aberystwyth. not sure. it was to bham international think it was the 13.22 from smethwick galton bridge

pemma

Veteran Member
In their early days 150s with 3+2 seating worked services like Scarborough to Holyhead.

They're still used on services of up to around 3 hours with Northern.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'll probably be shot for this, but in terms of both comfort and traction preference, give me a 150 over a 170 anyday!

Can't agree with you on that one.

Apart from certain Class 150/2s in the FGW Fleet then yep, i'll agree with you on the /2 front.

Is that all 150/2s including ATW and Northern ones? ATW have 2+2 seating and tables. Northern have some original interiors and some refurbished with 3+2 seating either like this: http://www.gbrailwayworld.co.uk/Tra...-Interiors/i-p92fJth/0/M/150-1-interior-M.jpg or similar in a 3+2 style but with facing seats. Before the LM cascade if a Northern 150/1 approached you knew it had been refurbished and if it was a 150/2 then there was a small chance it hadn't been. Now there's plenty of both types that haven't been refurbished.

High Dyke

Established Member
150237 added to the formation at Shrewsbury forward to Brum Intl. 158833 worked on its own from Holyhead to Shrewsbury.

A failed freight (6M07) on the Marches line caused a displacement of stock requiring a change to the formation of 1G30

Robinson

Predictably, I have to disagree with this <D

And that's coming from someone who used to have to use them quite often (having been at boarding school in Manchester for 6 years...)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
150237 added to the formation at Shrewsbury forward to Brum Intl. 158833 worked on its own from Holyhead to Shrewsbury.

A failed freight (6M07) on the Marches line caused a displacement of stock requiring a change to the formation of 1G30

Normal 1 Unit Holyhead to Shrewsbury but should have been 158 detached of Birmingham Int to Holyhead.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
On Friday (15th) I was expecting a 3-car 158 on the 1530 Cardiff to Portsmouth service. I nearly cried when 150221 and 150202 (which has an interior like the 150/1!) turned up. Luckily enough I was only going to Bristol.

But yes, the one that shocks me the most is the 0600 Penzance to Cardiff, which finally crawls into Cardiff at 1218, with a journey time of six hours and eighteen minutes. Absolutely dire for such a service, but I certainly don't think anybody would do the journey end to end, unless there's some seriously bonkers enthusiasts or if there's elderly passengers who'd rather not change trains. It is actually quicker to board the 0628 Penzance to Glasgow service and change at Bristol and it is possible to arrive at Cardiff at 1143. Certainly my most preferred option anyway!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Sometimes you can get a 150 on the Cardiff to Portsmouth route too (although this is usually only when a 158 isn't available for some reason).

Tracky

On Thursday a 150 was used on at least 3 Shrewsbury-Birmingham workings due to sets been out of place following a freight train failure early that morning. It rarely happens these days as all the Birmingham trains either run off or onto the Cambrian (where 150s cant go). Having said that they are brilliant for the Birmingham commuter runs at rush hour as they can take more standing passengers and they load and unload at Wolves, Telford and Wellington much more quickly. That said - they aren't very comfortable for the passengers. They are limited to 75 but do achieve it.

As always a train of virtually any kind is better than no train at a time of disruption and if the alternative was a 2 car, I'd add a 150 any day.

83G/84D

Established Member
On Thursday a 150 was used on at least 3 Shrewsbury-Birmingham workings due to sets been out of place following a freight train failure early that morning. It rarely happens these days as all the Birmingham trains either run off or onto the Cambrian (where 150s cant go). Having said that they are brilliant for the Birmingham commuter runs at rush hour as they can take more standing passengers and they load and unload at Wolves, Telford and Wellington much more quickly. That said - they aren't very comfortable for the passengers. They are limited to 75 but do achieve it.

As always a train of virtually any kind is better than no train at a time of disruption and if the alternative was a 2 car, I'd add a 150 any day.

Not sure about the last sentence, a single 153 from Plymouth to Penzance is a nightmare whatever working it is. I'd rather take twice as long and get on a bus!

Robinson

Or even on the 0900 Brighton to Great Malvern, which only happens if a 150 has been stabled at Fratton the night before.

Or, much more commonly, on the 1227 off Southampton Central-Great Malvern. (I've also seen that as a single 153...)

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Not sure about the last sentence, a single 153 from Plymouth to Penzance is a nightmare whatever working it is. I'd rather take twice as long and get on a bus!

Ive done truro to plymouth on a single dogbox and ive done penzance to plymouth on a 150 with the 3+2 seating. The 153 was way better by a country mile, better seats, cleaner and tables.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Use to be a 153 prior to December 2011 but how many passengers travel through from Southampton to Great Malvern. I should imagine the passenger turn over is quite common thus turning it into several local journeys so far as they are concerned.

Goatboy

Established Member
Use to be a 153 prior to December 2011 but how many passengers travel through from Southampton to Great Malvern. I should imagine the passenger turn over is quite common thus turning it into several local journeys so far as they are concerned.

Quite a lot of people will use this service for Southampton to Bristol and Gloucester or Bristol to Great Malvern, both 2+ hour journeys.

TEW

Established Member
It didn't used to be too bad as a single 153, the main problem was the return working from Great Malvern, back to Southampton, this time via Swindon and Melksham, which got rather busy from Cheltenham. The return working now runs to Westbury via Bristol with the Southampton service starting at Cheltenham instead.

Searle

Established Member
I joined 150264 at Bridgend today, which was working Shrewsbury - Cardiff Central via Llanelli, a journey time that ended up being 5 hours 45 minutes due to delays x_x

william

Established Member
Ive done truro to plymouth on a single dogbox and ive done penzance to plymouth on a 150 with the 3+2 seating. The 153 was way better by a country mile, better seats, cleaner and tables.

I agree. I tend to dislike those 150's with a commuter seat formation.

455driver

Veteran Member

I have done Plymouth to Penzance on a 143, quite a pleasant journey with the big windows.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
When 150's came in , they used to work North Wales coast to York ! - Central Trains had "operational linked" Lincoln - Cardiff.

The ultimate 1980 horror was a Friday only Sudbury to Peterborough 2 car Cravens DMU - which was linked through Sudbury - Colchester - Ipswich - Peterborough for operational reasons. I pitied any genuine long distance traveller who had to endure this ...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgot my favourite of all times - a daily Treherbet to Lostwithiel ! - way back in Wales and West days.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Forgot my favourite of all times - a daily Treherbet to Lostwithiel ! - way back in Wales and West days.

I wish I had been older when that was in existence.
Seems mad that they used to run such a service.
Was there any operation reason for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.