• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150s vs 153/5

Which is prefered stock?

• 150s

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • 153/5s

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
I've heard various opinions about which of these is worse than the other, so just thought I'd canvass the forum with a poll.

Personally, prefer the 153/5s, no change of 2+3 seating, and at least the Northern versions always feel more spacious and less tired.

EDIT: Can a moderator edit the poll question to say 'Which is your preferred stock?' Sorry for that.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Up to 80 seats in a 23m carriage in 2+2 formation is preferable to the same number in a 20m carriage in 3+2 formation.

bramling

Veteran Member
I've heard various opinions about which of these is worse than the other, so just thought I'd canvass the forum with a poll.

Personally, prefer the 153/5s, no change of 2+3 seating, and at least the Northern versions always feel more spacious and less tired.

EDIT: Can a moderator edit the poll question to say 'Which is your preferred stock?' Sorry for that.

Too hard to make a binary choice.

2x153 may be preferable to 1x150 on a crowded service simply on seating capacity and absence of 3+2.

Likewise there are different variants of class 150. I most like the FNW refirbished examples with facing seating, these are quite comfortable and acceptable in my view. Meanwhile the DDA toilets now being fitted do have a quite heavily detrimental impact on seating capacity.

Generally 156 or 158 is preferable to both, although having said that legroom on those types is poor too.

J-2739

Established Member
153 by a country mile. Four words to describe the 150s; stinky, dirty, cramped and slow. Then again, a 158 absolutely sits on a 153.

Status
Not open for further replies.