• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1521 York to Manchester Airport (Saturday, 16th February)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
We had chosen this as our return journey and had seat reservation tickets booked A19/A20 and this was supposed to be a service from Newcastle leaving from platform 9. However, this train started from the bay platform 1 at York. Does anyone know the reason why this service did not start from Newcastle?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From Real Time Trains
This service was cancelled between Newcastle and York due to an issue with the train crew.
You can't use the public open data feed as a reliable, authoritative, descriptive source.

The reason given on internal systems is that a driver wasn't available but the underlying reason for that isn't given.

Trainfan344

Established Member
From Real Time Trains
This service was cancelled between Newcastle and York due to an issue with the train crew.

You can't use the public open data feed as a reliable, authoritative, descriptive source.

The reason given on internal systems is that a driver wasn't available but the underlying reason for that isn't given.

Not always reliable but usually are. Especially in this case as confirmed by your post.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
We had chosen this as our return journey and had seat reservation tickets booked A19/A20 and this was supposed to be a service from Newcastle leaving from platform 9. However, this train started from the bay platform 1 at York. Does anyone know the reason why this service did not start from Newcastle?
Transpennine turn many trains back at York and Darlington that are bound for Newcastle. When I was in Tyneside IECC the other day they said it is happening 6 or 8 times a day. The general reason is due to late running that happens in the Manchester area but there are other reasons too.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Thank you for the responses. Do you think that the next day trip we hope to make, this time from Manchester Airport to Durham (and return) on the TPE Newcastle service, should be one service to be put on the "back boiler" for the foreseeable future?

Intermodal

Established Member
Thank you for the responses. Do you think that the next day trip we hope to make, this time from Manchester Airport to Durham (and return) on the TPE Newcastle service, should be one service to be put on the "back boiler" for the foreseeable future?
I wouldn't say so. There are lots of services that run from York to Durham should it get cancelled.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say so. There are lots of services that run from York to Durham should it get cancelled.

Would tickets booked at Manchester Airport for journeys from Manchester Airport to Durham (and return) only be valid for use on TPE services? We always book seat reservation tickets at the time of booking on longer journeys, being in our mid-70s.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
The railway is bound to get you home and I imagine you'd be told to take the next service to York and pick up TPE from there. I don't know if "they" could make you wait for the next TPE if you had an advanced purchase TPE only, but I suspect it is most likely they would not. Conditions of Travel say if your train is late you have to get the next one of the same company for advance tickets, but don't deal with cancellations as far as I can see. If you bought an open ticket it will be valid by any train company and any permitted route.

Last edited:

Intermodal

Established Member
Would tickets booked at Manchester Airport for journeys from Manchester Airport to Durham (and return) only be valid for use on TPE services? We always book seat reservation tickets at the time of booking on longer journeys, being in our mid-70s.
This is technically true however you may find reality is a bit more lenient than that. I wouldn't let it put you off t ravelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.