• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

153 376 named

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty133

Established Member
A special naming event of one of East Midland’s Trains’ took place at Lincoln station today.

Representatives from East Midlands Trains, the Lincoln Submariners Association and naval personnel from RAF Waddington gathered to mark the 70th anniversary of the UK’s last remaining World War 2 Midget Submarine today.

A special naming event of one of East Midlands Trains’ Class 153 trains, used to operate services through Lincolnshire, took place to honour HM Midget Submarine, X-24 Expeditious, built by Marshall and Sons in Gainsborough in 1943.

X-24 Expeditious conducted two successful operations on April 10, 1944 and on September 11, 1944.

Read more: http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/train/story-20942228-detail/story.html#ixzz2yVmWORzE]
from the Lincolnshire echo.
Is this the first named 153?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Don't some ATW 153s carry names. Sure I've seen Dylan Thomas on the side of one ...

[His name, not the chap himself you understand.]

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Don't some ATW 153s carry names. Sure I've seen Dylan Thomas on the side of one ...

[His name, not the chap himself you understand.]

Somebody has just asked on another thread if the name of "Dylan Thomas" is still carried. Apparently, according to the reply, it has been removed which was very bad timing as this the centenary year of his birth.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Somebody has just asked on another thread if the name of "Dylan Thomas" is still carried. Apparently, according to the reply, it has been removed which was very bad timing as this the centenary year of his birth.

I do wonder what Dylan Thomas would think of having a 153 named after him...

Dogbox to Llareggub, anyone? :lol:

fgwrich

Established Member
I do wonder what Dylan Thomas would think of having a 153 named after him...

Dogbox to Llareggub, anyone? :lol:

I find it more ironic that this Dogbox / Scud has been named after or dedicated to Submarines - Well, they are Noisy, Cramped and occasionally rather uncomfortable but relatively fast! :lol: Perhaps that ought to be Sub Scud 376?

Kneedown

Established Member
I find it more ironic that this Dogbox / Scud has been named after or dedicated to Submarines - Well, they are Noisy, Cramped and occasionally rather uncomfortable but relatively fast! :lol: Perhaps that ought to be Sub Scud 376?

Not to mention the aptness of applying the name of a "Midget Submarine" to a midget unit!

...but a midget unit which has more seats than any other type of coach in a British train (according to an ATW guard recently).

sprinterguy

Established Member
...but a midget unit which has more seats than any other type of coach in a British train (according to an ATW guard recently).
Well, that's not right. Even within the Sprinter family they're trumped by 155s and 156s.

And then looking further afield they're behind the majority of mark 3 standard class carriages, particularly XC and FGW examples, and any 23 metre carriage with 3+2 seating (165s, 323s and 333s), as well as the intermediate vehicles of some 20 metre units, too.

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I saw X-24 Expeditious at Lincoln yesterday, and I think information has also been put up inside the unit explaining the name and its significance. The naming was the brainchild of a conductor at Lincoln, who's father worked for Marshall's.

Status
Not open for further replies.