• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

153's with '158' seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
No, thankfully. It must have been a contender for one of the worst ever interiors. The seats were so low that you were pretty much unable to see out the windows.

fgwrich

Established Member
No, thankfully. It must have been a contender for one of the worst ever interiors. The seats were so low that you were pretty much unable to see out the windows.

Not helped by the condition the Wessex Units got into internally either. Colourfully grim is probably the best description I could think of.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not helped by the condition the Wessex Units got into internally either. Colourfully grim is probably the best description I could think of.

Leg room was awful too. Whoever on choosing a moquet for the seats could honestly look at that & think it looks smart? My first reaction would have been it's going to look grubby very soon.

Tracky

The ATW ones have seats in removed from 158s. They were raised by a couple of inches to improve the view... I don't think they are too bad really. I would be keen to remove the small cabs and pair them up though!

starrymarkb

Established Member
I would occasionaly skip a train if those 153s turned up for my commute home, (around 2006-7) putrid was an understatement

TEW

Established Member
The ATW ones have seats in removed from 158s. They were raised by a couple of inches to improve the view... I don't think they are too bad really. I would be keen to remove the small cabs and pair them up though!

They're Chapman seats which are found in much of the 153 fleet. The seats that are the problem are the ones which were previously fitted to ATW 153s, and also to Wessex 153s. They were the original 158 seats which Wales and West installed when they refurbished the 153s.

fgwrich

Established Member
They're Chapman seats which are found in much of the 153 fleet. The seats that are the problem are the ones which were previously fitted to ATW 153s, and also to Wessex 153s. They were the original 158 seats which Wales and West installed when they refurbished the 153s.

It's also were the merry-go-round of seats begin, as as you say these ones were fitted with the ex ATW 158 Chapman seats, while I gather the ex ScotRail Richmond seats made spare by the First ScotRail Inverness 158s went into the First Great Western ex Wessex 153s and 158s, which replaced the chapman & other seats in the 158s - which is were the BR Seats in the Wales & West 153 seating originally came from. Got it yet?

159jim

Cheers for letting me know.

To be honest on the 158s that no logner have the BR 'sofas' I prefer chapman seating to the Richmond seating found on the FGW 158's refurbished from Wessex Trains, (and I beleive some Irish stock?!).

Does anyone know if any of FGW's 'sofa' (Ex-tpe 158's) had their seats replaced by Richmonds?

What happened to the pink 'Electrostar' seats that were found on units like 158748?

Thanks,
Jim.

387star

On Moderation

Hmmm torn wall carpeting broken hazard taped arm rests cushions falling off or non existent missing tables... And Wessex were good? Mind you...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

To be honest on the 158s that no logner have the BR 'sofas' I prefer chapman seating to the Richmond seating found on the FGW 158's refurbished from Wessex Trains, (and I beleive some Irish stock?!).

Does anyone know if any of FGW's 'sofa' (Ex-tpe 158's) had their seats replaced by Richmonds?

What happened to the pink 'Electrostar' seats that were found on units like 158748?

Thanks,
Jim.

No more electrostar seats afaik only chapman replaced by Richmond which bizarre?

TEW

Established Member

Thanks,
Jim.
158762 and 158767 had the original 158 seats replaced by Richmond seats. I believe there was a small shortfall of original 158 seats when the refurbishment was carried out due to changes in the seating layout from the original TPE sets, in particular the removal of the low density First Class area. All the Wessex units were given Richmond seats. I guess it was to give a degree of uniformity. It was only 158745 and 158746 that had Chapman seats, and the ex-Virgin units 158747, 748, 749 and 751 had the Electrostar seats. All the ex-Wessex units had a fairly low density layout too so again there might not have been enough of the types of seats fitted for the new layout, so they had to replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.