• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

156460 - Off Booked Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBSchenker

On the night of 18th August / early hours of 19th August 2011 156460 was tripped from Blackpool North to Preston (first), and then from Preston to the Ribble Rail depot in Preston Docklands.

This was because on of the bogies had suffered a siezed final drive and required a wheel skate. It was decided rather than have it travel all the way from Blackpool to a Northern maintenance depot, tripping it to Ribble Rails depot - where it could be loaded onto a low-loader - was the most efficient way of transporting it.

I went to capture this movement on camera. A disclaimer, the photos are not the best quality as it was taken with my point and shoot.

The start is 156460 leaving Network Rail infrastructure and crossing Strand Road onto Ribble Rail infrastructure.

Viewed from the Ribble Rail control centre, by invitation, 156460 proceeds along Navigation Way and crosses the River Ribble.

156460 winds its way through the overgrown depot at walking pace, to a loading siding where an EWS BRUFF team was waiting to assist in the movement onto the low loaders.

Hope that you have enjoyed these pictures from my archive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Great shots...

First time a 156 has visited there - I bet some quick calls were made to check the unit could get around the yard

TBSchenker

I think it was all planned to make sure it would work, Ribble Rail will load/unload their own vehicles there so although the sidings looked overgrown, presumably the track would be kept for for purpose.

I'm sure this was definitely the first Class 156 down there. Usually it is the Class 60 and bitumen tanks. A few railtours have made the trip, and Ribble Rail do occasional Maintenence on Tampers.

Status
Not open for further replies.