• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

156503 @ Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wikipedia

156503 has been sat in Carlisle station for a couple of days now from what I have heard! Upon looking into the secondmans window on 57503 (nearest the stops) I noticed that the TPWS isolation flag was raised and on the back wall of the other cab I noticed that the GSM-R 5A breaker was tripped out! Any ideas about when it will be moved if ever, or why it is there in the first place?!?!?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It was probably at Carlisle in the first place as several Scotrail 156s work to Carlisle daily on all the G&SW services. Perhaps it has failed.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
By the rulebook, I believe having the TPWS isolation flag raised means they won't be able to move the train from that cab, unless a second man can be found and can travel with the driver to confirm signal aspects and speed indications. Not sure about GSM-R, but I suspect there is an issue with not having it available when in service, there is with NRN and CSR.

Another unit may be required to get the unit back to the depot.

D6975

Established Member
156503 has been sat in Carlisle station for a couple of days now from what I have heard! Upon looking into the secondmans window on 57503 (nearest the stops) I noticed that the TPWS isolation flag was raised and on the back wall of the other cab I noticed that the GSM-R 5A breaker was tripped out! Any ideas about when it will be moved if ever, or why it is there in the first place?!?!?!

I was at Carlisle all day on Fri 13 July and it wasn't there then.

Wikipedia

I don't know whether or not it was there for a few days it was just what I over heard one of the S & C volunteers saying to the guard on my train!

Geeves

Established Member
On Northern at least, they normally just add another unit to burry the fault inside the coupled sets. I guess being at the block end, they might have to get some special dispensation to shunt it.

The GSM-R MCB was switched off because there is no operational GSM-R network south of Kilmarnock and the driver would have been fed up with the network lost tones.

By the rulebook, I believe having the TPWS isolation flag raised means they won't be able to move the train from that cab, unless a second man can be found and can travel with the driver to confirm signal aspects and speed indications. Not sure about GSM-R, but I suspect there is an issue with not having it available when in service, there is with NRN and CSR.

Another unit may be required to get the unit back to the depot.

True! I imagine options are (if it is an AWS/TPWS fault):

- Drive from the other end (if faulty end was trailing)
- Couple to another DMU and drive
- Drive with 2 qualified drivers for additional observation
- Send fitters to fix original fault

- GSM-R MCB are always tripped when out of range so this is likely to be unrelated to its predicament.

Status
Not open for further replies.