• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

156s on Liverpool-Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
If I've got to be honest, I don't think that many board the 0825 EMT service at Stockport towards Manchester. It certainly isn't noticeable through the 4 carriages, not often is there more than 10 standing in the carriage I sit in, 2nd from front in a 4 car set. No hope of getting Hazel Grove passengers on at all if just 2 carriages turns up, never mind Stockport.

If the passengers are evenly distributed that would mean about 40 standing in total so you certainly not almost guaranteed a seat as edwin_m suggested.

There did used to be quite a lot of passengers using that service between Stockport and Manchester Oxford Rd but maybe if they got fed up with EMT only sending 2 cars some of the time they resorted to using other services instead.

From my experience most passengers boarding at Stockport seem to board the 3rd carriage when it's a 4 car formation (unless the 3rd carriage looks very full.) With there being no train length announcements at Stockport (except for Virgin) passengers waiting at Stockport don't tend to spread out along the platform that much (except for XC and Virgin services.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Assuming it's an off-peak service that is 4 cars (not 2 cars) and no special event are on. Unless your definition of west of Nottingham only means Sheffield-Nottingham?

With Stockport not having that many direct services to Manchester Oxford Rd, the EMT services finish up being heavily used commuter services on that section. (One of the morning alternatives to the EMT service on that section is a pair of packed Pacers.)

While 4 carriages can easily have all seats filled when sporting events are on in Manchester or Liverpool.

The earliest I regularly use is the 0745 from Nottingham and I've had a table to myself after Sheffield on occasion.

Can't speak for the earlier trains at commuter times into Manchester, but if they fill up with Stockport commuters those people wouldn't reserve seats anyway so the only people possibly disadvantaged by lack of reservations would be anyone who'd booked from Stockport and then had to stand as far as Oxford Road.

Southern Dvr

Is the 'loan' 158 crewed by EMT? I'm just thinking that it must be difficult for GA drivers to maintain competency on it if it runs just two trips a day. I presume 158s are not on GA safety case either.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the EMT and GA units are similar enough that the crew competency would read across.

TheEdge

Established Member
Is the 'loan' 158 crewed by EMT? I'm just thinking that it must be difficult for GA drivers to maintain competency on it if it runs just two trips a day. I presume 158s are not on GA safety case either.

The 158s when on a GA service are driven by GA drivers and guarded by GA guards.

Southern Dvr

I think the EMT and GA units are similar enough that the crew competency would read across.

Not from 156 to 158 I wouldn't have thought. I presume they have a small number of drivers who can maintain competency.

TheEdge

Established Member
Not from 156 to 158 I wouldn't have thought. I presume they have a small number of drivers who can maintain competency.

GA local guards and a reasonable pool of drivers (don't know how many) all sign 158s in their own right, not as a hold over from 153s and 156s.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Sorry, I was referring to the 156s. Both fleets were with Central originally and although EMT have refurbished theirs, I don't think it affects any of the things the crew need to know about.

dk1

Veteran Member
Sorry, I was referring to the 156s. Both fleets were with Central originally and although EMT have refurbished theirs, I don't think it affects any of the things the crew need to know about.

Only cosmetic differences. Nothing compared to when we got those 2 LM Scuds. Took me a minute or two to change the tail lights :lol:

TheEdge

Established Member

I know the local door functions slightly differently on the EMT 156 to the GA ones, beyond that no real operational differences.

talltim

Established Member
On a 156 on this service today (19:23 ex Chesterfield) I find the 156s more pleasant, more open an airy, more tables and enough headroom for me to stand up in the vestibules. I think it's the first time I've been on the EMT version and I like the interior

CJ

Just saw a pair of EMT 156's leaving Piccadilly at about 11:43. I believe they were 156497 and 156413 heading to Norwich.

MichaelAMW

156414 made it to Norwich last Friday. It should have headed out on the 16:57 to Manchester Piccadily.

Indeed it did, I was on it. It arrived at Nottingham, where I boarded, with the 156 at the rear of a 158, which was supposed to have continued alone to Norwich, but there was a fault on it and it was taken off to the depot, leaving the 156 to continue.

Tomnick

Established Member
156406 currently making its way to Norwich on 1L14, where it'll presumably spend the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.