• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

158 943

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedman

I've tried the search facility but it won't work on my phone so sorry if its already reported! Northern have formed 158 843 into a 3 car hybrid using the undamaged car from 158 842. Its currently sat spare on NL

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tramfan

I was on it earlier this year and I remember thinking it could do with an internal refurbishment, I still remember its badly worn away carpets. Still had Welsh language signs inside as well.

Last edited:

WillPS

Established Member
What happened to 158842? I was on it earlier this year and I remember thinking it could do with an internal refurbishment, I still remember its badly worn away carpets. Still had Welsh language signs inside as well.

Same condition. Whoever gets the franchise next is going to have a massive job - not only will they need to find a large fleet of DMUs to replace their Pacers (with a government determined to stop purchasing DMUs), they'll also need to embark on a total refurbishment of the remainder of their fleet.

158842 dropped its carden shaft somewhere between Sheffield and Nottingham and thus requires a lot of repairs on one vehicle. 158943 is formed 52843+52842+57843.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 161

Tramfan

Oh dear hadn't heard about that. 158943 looks quite odd, with a front end cab in the middle of the unit.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Oh dear hadn't heard about that. 158943 looks quite odd, with a front end cab in the middle of the unit.
First Great Western have 12 units semi-permanently formed like this :)
I think First Great Western's 3-car 158s look odd too, except the real 3-car 158 with a cab-less centre car.

158943 is formed 52843+52842+57843.
Aren't FGW's sets formed with the two vehicles that come from the same set marshaled together, with the 'forigen' coach on one end of it?

TEW

Established Member
Aren't FGW's sets formed with the two vehicles that come from the same set marshaled together, with the 'forigen' coach on one end of it?

Yep, the sets have to be marshalled in their original format when undergoing some exams and having the additional coach on the end allows it to be removed easily. The hybrid 150s FGW have are formed with the extra carriage in the centre of course.

SprinterMan

Established Member
They 150/0 hybrids at london midland used to be like that before they got split with the 150/2 being used as the middle car in between the 150/1s.

150121 and 150127 are currently at FGW in this configuration, although weirdly the centre cars retain snowploughs, and the staff doors are still designated as such. :)

fgwrich

Established Member
158842 dropped its carden shaft somewhere between Sheffield and Nottingham and thus requires a lot of repairs on one vehicle. 158943 is formed 52843+52842+57843.

Is this the unit that dropped its Cardon Shaft near Belper back in January? If it is, it would have managed to make quite nice mess of things - Affecting the 'Banna Beam' Cardon Shaft, transmission, mounting brackets, potentially the fuel tank if located nearby, and anything else in the affected area....Ouch!

It's also interesting to see that it's been reformed with 52842 in the middle of 843, as opposed to the FGW way with the foreign vehicle on the outer end - wonder why?

150121 and 150127 are currently at FGW in this configuration, although weirdly the centre cars retain snowploughs, and the staff doors are still designated as such. :)

Not anymore i think you'll find - Not sure as to why they retained the plough for a while, but since the brackets get in the way of the jumper cable, both 57xx/2 cars have had them removed. Not sure as to why they were painted up with the narrower cab doors in Blue as opposed to Rubine Red - Considering they will be passenger use doors for the time being.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Is this the unit that dropped its Cardon Shaft near Belper back in January? If it is, it would have managed to make quite nice mess of things - Affecting the 'Banna Beam' Cardon Shaft, transmission, mounting brackets, potentially the fuel tank if located nearby, and anything else in the affected area....Ouch!

It's also interesting to see that it's been reformed with 52842 in the middle of 843, as opposed to the FGW way with the foreign vehicle on the outer end - wonder why?

Not anymore i think you'll find - Not sure as to why they retained the plough for a while, but since the brackets get in the way of the jumper cable, both 57xx/2 cars have had them removed. Not sure as to why they were painted up with the narrower cab doors in Blue as opposed to Rubine Red - Considering they will be passenger use doors for the time being.

Finally got the snow ploughs gone eh? Great :) They looked very strange in the middle of the unit. The doors thing is a bit of a niggle though. Central had them in yellow, so why FGW can't have them in pink I don't know. They aren't staff doors in the current configuration, although I accidentally upset a guard at Norwich when I wandered onto the ATW 150 GA have through the guard door, which is the normal place for doors on 153/156s, hence my confusion. If that guard is a member of this site, my apologies. :P

Established Member
Not anymore i think you'll find - Not sure as to why they retained the plough for a while, but since the brackets get in the way of the jumper cable, both 57xx/2 cars have had them removed.

They want to be careful with the jumper cables.

TinPot Express had hybrid 158s for some time, and they usually consisted of a good (ex RRNE) two car, with a wreck (ex FNW) stuck in the centre. Going along at 85mph over the ship canal bridge I heard some severe banging on the underframe. I brought the train to a stop, and spoke to my driver.... the train was halfway down the other side of the bridge, and when we got out, found most of the jumper cables attached to the cab end of the extra middle car had come loose.

The loose cables were flicking ballast up hitting our underframe, and passing Irlam station rocks had hit people waiting for the stopper!!

Not good :roll:

sprinterguy

Established Member
TinPot Express had hybrid 158s for some time, and they usually consisted of a good (ex RRNE) two car, with a wreck (ex FNW) stuck in the centre.
The hybrids that TPE operated towards the end of 158 operation were formed of an ex-RRNE 2 car set with a centre car inserted taken from splitting three units that Northern Spirit gained from Scotrail in about 2000. I don't recall the FNW units ever being "hybridised", but then again I didn't really see them around until they started being deployed on Transpennine services.

Status
Not open for further replies.