• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

158 Air-conditioning and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Now it is getting hot again, just interested to see how the 158 / 159 air-conditioning is getting on. In Scotrail land, in the central belt it is all 158s have open windows again. I need to get a photo of the sticker Scotrail have placed next to the window "for you comfort this train is fitted with improved air-conditioning" which is the open window :lol:

As built the air-conditioning was a dog, but some TOCs such as CT, SWT, and Scotrail had Liebert air-conditioning. Is this any any more reliable (it doesn't seem to be in Scotrail, I can't remember the last time I had a 158 without its windows open when the temperature is about 20oC)

Northern seem to be a mix of normal and Liebert depending on where it aquired them from. Some of the Scotrail units still have the orginal (158868 - 871)

The other question following the EMT upgrades, do EMT still have a hotchpot of units and it is only the seating configuration that is standard?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Some Northern 158s also have the Liebert-type, although I'm not sure if it is all of them or not. I can remember a few summers back, commuting home from Leeds, some of the 158s were fantastic and some others terrible for the aircon.

Established Member
There is also usually some sort of panel near to the door panel at each end, which will have some status lights and 'Liebert' (on Northern ones I've seen at least).

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Last summer, quite a few EMT units were running round with their windows open. Prior to that the air-conditioning had been working very well, how it will perform this year I've yet to see.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last summer, quite a few EMT units were running round with their windows open. Prior to that the air-conditioning had been working very well, how it will perform this year I've yet to see.

Travelled on an EMT refurbished set today Manchester-Liverpool.
At least there were no windows open admitting defeat.
I would describe the aircon as "very light", just below the level at which you get cross.
Most people sat on the shade side of the train.
Much more comfortable than the Northern 150/156s I endured just beforehand, though.
For once it was nice to be in the cool of the Wirral line tunnel on Merseyrail.
Very pleasant today in Buxton, at altitude...

TEW

Established Member
SWT ones are fantasic, feel lovely...

All SWT units are fitted with the most reliable Liebherr system. Some FGW units also have it fitted, in general it's the coaches with Richmond seating although some with Richmond seating don't have the Liebherr air-con.

455driver

Veteran Member
That is something you do well with sprinter stock in SWT land!

TBH Siemens and SWT do a damn fine job of looking after all the stock on SWT land, Salisbury have a fairly captive fleet with them returning "home" every few days which means they can keep an eye on all the little problems before they become big problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.