• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

158 at Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
This afternoon at around 1600 we passed Eastleigh in our car. 70018 was at the head of a long container train in the usual platform for Fareham, and a 158 passed it in the usual Down platform. The DMU then went slowly forward and headed for the Botley line whilst the container train ran forward towards Southampton as expected. I wonder if the 158 was terminating at Eastleigh and reversing next to the Works or is there a scheduled service down to Portsmouth?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This afternoon at around 1600 we passed Eastleigh in our car. 70018 was at the head of a long container train in the usual platform for Fareham, and a 158 passed it in the usual Down platform. The DMU then went slowly forward and headed for the Botley line whilst the container train ran forward towards Southampton as expected. I wonder if the 158 was terminating at Eastleigh and reversing next to the Works or is there a scheduled service down to Portsmouth?

There's 5T91 runs ECS from Salisbury down to the Harbour weekday afternoons, but it should be through Eastleigh a bit earlier, at about 1540 (this is the one I mentioned in passing in response to your point about the Totton train a few days ago).

It then forms the 1649 Portsmouth Harbour to Fareham peak extra all stations stopper, then runs up to Eastleigh ECS. It then sits in Eastleigh down carriage siding until forming the 0030 down to Portsmouth.

cm39275

first great western diverted some off their cardiff portsmouth service via eastleigh this afternoon due to 70019 failing while on a shut move from maritime to millbrook flt terminals blocking all 4 lines. so the 158 may have been on of fgw services being diverted.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
first great western diverted some off their cardiff portsmouth service via eastleigh this afternoon due to 70019 failing while on a shut move from maritime to millbrook flt terminals blocking all 4 lines. so the 158 may have been on of fgw services being diverted.
Tp help to confirm, could the OP say in what livery the 158 was

cm39275

well i know for sure fgw diverted some service as it came through on tyrell and i found out the distruption was caused by 70019 by checking the delay attribute to 1345 off bournemouth to manchester x country service on trust as it ran about 54 mins late by the time it left oxford and was terminated short at new street.

Oracle

Established Member
SWT 2-car 158. Never seen one head down towards Hedge End/Botley/Fareham before..

I would be interested to know how a loco is moved from one side of the tracks to the other (from the depot to Millbrook and vice versa)? It could feasibly be done at Redbridge using the crossover from the Down to Up just east of the station.

Roylang

SWT 2-car 158. Never seen one head down towards Hedge End/Botley/Fareham before..

I would be interested to know how a loco is moved from one side of the tracks to the other (from the depot to Millbrook and vice versa)? It could feasibly be done at Redbridge using the crossover from the Down to Up just east of the station.

I drove past Eastleigh on Monday evening about 18:45 and there was one exactly as you describe at that time also.

Roy

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I drove past Eastleigh on Monday evening about 18:45 and there was one exactly as you describe at that time also.

By that time there is the 158 that stabled in the down carriage sidings at 17+54 to form the 0030 off Eastleigh to Portsmouth Harbour (as I posted yesterday).

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Thats where the siding is, directly next to the Botley line, only a short one.

GearJammer

If you mean how do locos get from Freightliner Millbrook over to Maritime then there is a crossover just west of the Millbrook terminal, they then run into Maritime as would a normal container train, and vice-versa.

Roylang

Thats where the siding is, directly next to the Botley line, only a short one.

I know the siding you mean and I am fairly certain that the unit I saw was not on it. When stabled on the siding you see the running line for Hedge End on the right as you drive past. From what I saw there was no line immediately to the right of the unit. I could be wrong, but I did think it was odd at the time.

Roy

wintonian

Established Member
I got on a SWT 2 car 158 at Shawford on Monday at 07:05 ish (missed the 06:39 so the one after that) and got off at Eastleigh, think it was going to Southampton Central to terminate and then do a figure of 6 run I assume.

There are a couple of booked calls at Winchester in the evening that terminate at Basingstoke after coming up from Portsmouth I think. Allways makes a plesent change if I'm going in the right direction at the right time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I got on a SWT 2 car 158 at Shawford on Monday at 07:05 ish (missed the 06:39 so the one after that) and got off at Eastleigh, think it was going to Southampton Central to terminate and then do a figure of 6 run I assume.

That service is normally diagrammed as a 159, but a bit later at Shawford.

It does the following in public service, arriving ECS from Salsibury:

2B98 Southampton 0542 Eastleigh 0556
2B89 Basingstoke 0655 Southampton 0741 (at Shawford 0716)
2E13 Southampton 0751 Portsmouth Harbour 0858
2E24 Portsmouth Harbour 0933 Southamnpton 1038
2S23 Southampton 1044 Salisbury 1122 (attached as rear portion of the relevant Romsey - Salisbury rounder)
thereafter it is on the Waterloo route

Status
Not open for further replies.