• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

158 Tour de France livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossforth

Established Member
Hey guys

I passed Neville Hill this evening and saw a 158 in some form of yellow Tour de France livery. Anybody know what it is or have any better pictures than this one?

I assume it's a Northern Rail unit?

Cheers

Luke

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Noticed some 150's with small stickers on the side promoting it, but that looks like a full job! Looks like a Network Rail unit. Have to keep an eye out this week...

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Yep here it is at Leeds awaiting time for 1Y33, the 1305 to Nottingham. Apologies for the poor pictures - combination of an awkward platform and not having much time!

Attachments

• IMG_20140629_123212.jpg
    IMG_20140629_123212.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20140629_123129.jpg
    IMG_20140629_123129.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 268

BantamMenace

Will the 158 actually be used to 'take you to the tour' though? Surely doing a couple of 150s that will work on the Harrogate line would've been better?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
158849 today allocated 2H81 05:50 Carlisle to Leeds, 2H10 08:49 Leeds to Carlisle, 2H89 11:51 Carlisle to Leeds, 2H92 14:49 Leeds to Carlisle, 2H97 18:14 Carlisle to Leeds.
It's paired up with 153351 until it arrives at Leeds at approximately 14:37 on 2H89.

SeanG

Somehow reminds me of the wessex trains/alphaline (think that's it) livery end on

Oswyntail

Established Member
Yellow stickers now appearing on 333s. I wonder how long these lverie changes will last (I am thinking of the Liverpool culture ones here)

deltic08

On Moderation
Yellow stickers now appearing on 333s. I wonder how long these lverie changes will last (I am thinking of the Liverpool culture ones here)

Tour de Farce would be a better description. The amount of money that has been wasted locally for a here today gone today event just for the cameras. Miles of roads completely planed and relaid because they are not smooth enough. Traffic islands removed for the day and then replaced for no sound reason. Are race entrants poorly sighted and likely to run into them at 30mph anymore likely than motorists at 60mph?

How much has tarting up a 158 unit in overall yellow cost for just two days?

Anybody unfortunate enough to live on the route will be unable to go anywhere on the day as roads are closed from 5.30 am until an hour after the race has passed.

50 lashes for anyone suggesting it comes this side of the Channel again.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I think most units will have seen a transfer stuck to the outer ends of them. Lets just hope its just 158849 that will have the full splatter of it.

33Hz

Tour de Farce would be a better description. The amount of money that has been wasted locally for a here today gone today event just for the cameras. Miles of roads completely planed and relaid because they are not smooth enough. Traffic islands removed for the day and then replaced for no sound reason. Are race entrants poorly sighted and likely to run into them at 30mph anymore likely than motorists at 60mph?

Anybody unfortunate enough to live on the route will be unable to go anywhere on the day as roads are closed from 5.30 am until an hour after the race has passed.

I'd say looking at the turn out at the side of the road your opinions are in the minority...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

How much has tarting up a 158 unit in overall yellow cost for just two days?....

Race entrants might not be more likely to hit the traffic islands than motorists, but I suspect it might hurt them a bit more if they did.

There were large numbers of extra travellers to the event, so I'd suggest the cost of the vinyls was more than paid for, though they might have gained some extra revenue if they hadn't bothered.

If it means I get more overtime I'm all for it.......:roll::lol:

ash39

Established Member
The timing of this was strange, a few days before the tour. Surely it'd have made sense to do it a few weeks prior?

Be interesting to see how long it lasts. If it's anything like the Sky HD on the East Coast set, we'll still be seeing the Yellow 158 into 2015!

Incidentally today I saw it leave Leeds at 1400 headed for Carlisle so hardly 'taking you to the tour' !!

Established Member
The timing of this was strange, a few days before the tour. Surely it'd have made sense to do it a few weeks prior?

Be interesting to see how long it lasts. If it's anything like the Sky HD on the East Coast set, we'll still be seeing the Yellow 158 into 2015!

Incidentally today I saw it leave Leeds at 1400 headed for Carlisle so hardly 'taking you to the tour' !!

Well it was this morning on a 6 car set with 2 other 158's on the Calder Valley Route

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
If anyone knows its diagram for Monday please post. Thanks.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

This post highlights the problem with this country - the inability to see the bigger picture!

I bet you that the costs of staging the event are dwarfed by the revenue made by local business this weekend, not to mention those who may be tempted back to Yorkshire because of the welcome they got. That is before you consider the people around the world, and especially Europe (one short flight from Leeds Bradford away remember) watching one of the biggest sporting events of the year and seeing what a fantastic place Yorkshire is and thinking “you know what – that looks like a decent place to go!”

Or we could just not bother because some roads might be shut

As for the yellow unit i saw it pass through Hebden Bridge yesterday on the front of a 3 x 2 car 158 train. It looked quite smart.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
There were some amazing comments from locals here about how they would be "trapped" in their town for a whole day and the tribulations of people having to do their shopping a day earlier. I had to tell some people that Sunday trading was a pretty new thing that a few years back they couldn't have done anyway and the lack of moving around was really no different to a snow day (but with the benefit of 4 months notice). As for the council redoing the roads - why is that suddenly a bad thing?

Just a good thing that we don't have any regular road closure events like a marathon or motor race or Yorkshire might become some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Fortunately like all these sort of events, the nay-sayers spoke loudly but were obviously a minority given the whopping crowds. Pretty much the whole of Steeton and Silsden turned out to watch it through and really enjoyed it.

Oswyntail

Established Member
There were some amazing comments from locals here about how they would be "trapped" in their town for a whole day...
I was one such, dwelling in that part of Ilkley between Skipton Road and the river, with the added bonus of being just by the "hub" park. What got my goat is that the local council did not respond in any way to queries about access, parking, noise etc. I had to ask permission (at 08:00) to cross the road to get a newspaper (as the usual delivery could not take place); and, yes, I had to miss an annual event at my sports club. And the event in the park was very noisy and went on over 90 minutes after time
The event itself was highly enjoyable, and will bring much money in to tourist-based enterprises. On the other hand, local hairdressers, haberdashers, clothing shops etc on the route had to close. And I have yet to see how the event will benefit the ordinary citizens of Ilkley (Addingham, Skipton, etc) - because no one has seen fit to tell us.

SeanG

There seemed to be winners and losers from the event, as with most things like this.
However I think it can be safely said that is was a success on all fronts, I'm sure we have all seen the pictures.

On a railway front, I travelled on the half 9 from York to Harrogate. It was a 2 coach 158 and a 150. All seats taken upon departure but it was full to the rafters by Knaresborough. I got off here to see my mate then the plan was to get the train to Harrogate, however the platform was full and all trains full so we got the bus.

Coming back there was a queuing system in place at Harrogate station. Long queues but they seemed to be moving fast and well organised. We got the bus back to Knaresborough though as the queue seemed shorter.

What was refreshing was that there were few people complaining about how they "haven't got enough trains" etc, like you usually get. I thik it was understood that even if the trains were 8 coaches long, for example, they would still be crammed (yes I know 8 coaches isn't possible).

I did wonder why one of the relief sets was 67 + Mk3s +DVT +67. Surely another carriage could take the place of a DVT (obviously needing to be a brake coach)

Established Member
Meanwhile you only had to look at the enjoyment on the school kids faces in the Olympic Park at Stratford today to see what a success the event was (or they were just glad of a day off school). You can't begrudge that surely.

Transport wise London copes easily enough, Stratford was busy but only briefly. A nice touch was the DLR train in 'va va Froome' livery.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The "Allez Cav" DLR unit was a little unfortunate though!

DownSouth

Established Member
Nope, nor was there one for Geraint Thomas.
On the bright side, at least the Cavendish one was not quite so embarrassing as if he had been less injured and had to be disqualified by the commissaires!

DownSouth

Established Member
And your point is ?
Just a little curious that the capital of England is a little reticent in supporting the English rider!

Here in Adelaide we don't seem to have any trouble supporting South Australian cyclists like Rohan Dennis at the same time as Aussie superstars like Cadel Evans and Simon Gerrans.

Status
Not open for further replies.