• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16:24 Manchester Piccadilly to Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
This has been bugging me for a while now.
There's a 16:24 Virgin train from Manchester Piccadilly to Derby.
There's just one a day and it only runs on weekends.
I've seen the actual train that says Derby on the front and everything but thing is, they're always getting cancelled and I've never seen one actually leave the station.
Anyone know whats going on with these trains? Has anyone ever caught one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Not sure. Weird isn't it?
I'm guessing it'd go to Stoke and then round through Tutbury & Hatton to Derby.

Established Member
In effect a Manchester-Brum and then a Brum-Derby to get unit back to Central Rivers for maintence.
The standy hauled set worked it once (at least) with a 57 throughout

There is a similar working off Derby in the morning

7.47 off derby in the morning! and 16.24 in the evening! reason that it gets cancelled alot or start/ terminate at BHM is due to the fact we are quite short on avaiable units! I never trust that train to get to work! shame it dont work over north staffs! Have seen a voyager over it though!

metrocammel

This has been bugging me for a while now.
There's a 16:24 Virgin train from Manchester Piccadilly to Derby.
There's just one a day and it only runs on weekends.
I've seen the actual train that says Derby on the front and everything but thing is, they're always getting cancelled and I've never seen one actually leave the station.
Anyone know whats going on with these trains? Has anyone ever caught one?

It didn't used to run only at Weekends, as it was a Friday i think when the 57+mk3 rake worked it last year. The day before (or after - I cant remember off the top of my head) the 57, a 90, unbranded GNER-liveried, 90024 worked it, but it was caped at Brum, as Derby aint electrified. When Ive travelled on the 1624, I've noticed it confuses people, in particular at Stoke, there are people who get on it, thinking it will be a 30 min journey to Derby, when if fact, it ends up as an hour and half journey across the Midlands! (though I suppose they have got better value for money mileage wise!)

Status
Not open for further replies.