• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-25 Issued wrongly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie

Afternoon all,

I hold a 16-25 railcard, which expires on 22/3/12. Trying to be organised, I renewed it at Warrington Central on Friday afternoon (24/2/12), using the "renew up to 30 days in advance" rule, as part of a journey to Durham for the weekend.

On the Warrington Central-York leg of the journey, I realized that what I'd been issued was a railcard valid until 23/2/13, not 22/3/13 as I'd expected. The railcard receipt has an expiry date of 23/3/13, but the issued coupon and POS receipt both say valid until 23/2/12. It appears that what's been issued is a brand new railcard, not a renewal.

I spoke to the travel centre at York when I changed there, and the supervisor there informed me that it would be easy to correct, but that it would need to be at Warrington, as they'd issued it.

I rang TPE customer relations when I arrived into Durham, and they agreed with the supervisor at York; saying if I take both railcards and the receipt into Warrington before 22/3/12, they'll be able to sort it out for me.

I've just got back from Warrington Central, and they've told me that Customer Relations don't know how the TIS works, there's nothing they can do in the station, and the best I can do is try and apply for a refund (which "will probably take a few months") for the wrongly-issued one then buy a new one.

Any advice forumites?

Cheers,

Freddie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I don't know what TIS they use, but certainly with Tribute what Warrington said is correct, its not straight forward to do as say the same mistake with a season ticket would be. The way around it would be for the clerk to do it as a replacement (with the correct dates) and then the TIS would expect a £5 payment, which would need Supervisor/Station Manager sign off as a write off.

In the interests of customer service they cocked up, they shouldn't be referring to customer relations.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Something similar happened to me after a number of attempts to renew a F&F card online failed with server errors, and I went in to GLC to renew it. I lost a week or so from it because the young lady behind the counter issued me a new one starting that day.

Of course if I had checked right away I might have noticed, but it never occurred to me that a simple renewal would be a problem.

Only about 50p worth, so I put that down to experience.

Parham Wood

It seems incredible to me that the issuing office cannot correct a mistake of theirs free of charge and immediately. I say report them to trading standards:D

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I don't know why they can't just issue a replacement railcard if they can't non-issue it, that would be my first choice of action, two minute job.

pemma

Veteran Member
It seems incredible to me that the issuing office cannot correct a mistake of theirs free of charge and immediately. I say report them to trading standards

They've been sold a 11 month railcard instead of a 12 month railcard. Doesn't consumer law allow them to get a full refund within 30 days of purchase* if the product they purchased isn't as described?

* I mean the customer has 30 days to return the item, not the seller has 30 days to refund them.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
IANAL, but the Railcard is valid for twelve months, the fact that the passenger already has a Railcard for one of those months is neither here nor there in that regard.

pemma

Veteran Member
but the Railcard is valid for twelve months, the fact that the passenger already has a Railcard for one of those months is neither here nor there in that regard.

It was sold as a renewal though - that should 12 months after the expiry date of the current railcard.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It was mistake that I think they should have corrected certainly, all I was saying there was that the product sold was as described, a twelve month Railcard.

Freddie

Cheers for the replies guys.

Have written to customer relations expressing my displeasure, with copies of both railcards, receipts, etc.

Will wait and see what they come back with...

Status
Not open for further replies.