• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-25 Railcard discount on Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsLeng

Have tried searching but could not find it... :(

Does anyone know if I have to reload the discount onto my oyster again when I renew my railcard?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTChris

Is it easy to load a card on? I just ordered my Oyster card and was wondering if I can add my railcard to it online later, or whether I have to call up or something?

dan_atki

Established Member
You should take both the Oyster card and railcard to a London Underground ticket office for them to apply the discount on your card.

TsLeng

Yups. Need to fill up a form before that, which you can get from the ticket office.

Daniel

Established Member
Need to fill up a form before that

The form is registration - you need to register your card before the discount entitlement can be added.

Or register it online (as I recall, I did that and it worked fine)

You can register your card online, but to add the discount entitlement you need to visit a staffed LU ticket office.

Chris-P

The form is registration - you need to register your card before the discount entitlement can be added.

You can register your card online, but to add the discount entitlement you need to visit a staffed LU ticket office.

That was what I meant :oops: the LU ticket office needs to see your railcard before the discount can be added (would be cool if they could do it based on railcard number/registered name, but they can't :()

Daniel

Established Member
Does this discount include PAYG fares?

Yes and no. If you make a single journey on PAY-G, then you will receive no discount - all it changes is the price at which the card 'caps' for the day.

Edvid

Established Member
The individual off-peak fares and their respective caps are discounted these days, however their peak counterparts are not (and probably never were).

will1337

It appears that not just the Zone 1-6 travelcard is allowed with a 16-25 on Oyster now. Today I mysteriously ended up with a cap of £3.35 after a local tube journey and two bus journeys and the TFL site has changed, explaining that it must have been a Zone 2-6 travelcard:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/singlefares/6769.

Do the 10AM restrictions still apply while using Oyster? The information on using Railcards is rather lacklustre and it doesn't give any detail on how much the single fares are reduced by but I'd assume 34%.

Fincra5

Established Member
Yups. Need to fill up a form before that, which you can get from the ticket office.

i didnt fill in a form, the woman at the desk typed some stuff in the PC and it was done. I checked the price after i finished my journey and it was less.

GodAtum

On Moderation
You onlt get this discount on NR rafes and not TFL (underground) fares?

glynn80

Established Member

Railcard discounts are available for single PAYG prices for journeys inclusive of travel on National Rail services, and lower priced ‘Off-Peak daily cap for Oyster card holders.

Last edited:

TsLeng

i didnt fill in a form, the woman at the desk typed some stuff in the PC and it was done. I checked the price after i finished my journey and it was less.

That's weird then....

To answer will1337, The 3.35 cap if not mistaken is the discounted off-peak daily capping on zone 1-2(LU). Normally it would be 5.60

Edvid

Established Member
The Z1-2 cap is now £3.70.

Incidentally, the bus/tram cap is £3.90; however, the system is not programmed to transition to lower caps so the bus/tram cap for those with 'Railcard' Oysters is £3.35 (also the Z2-6 cap).

will1337

Well it was 2-6 in this case which I worked out after a bit of head scratching as to why it had capped so low. I loaded the 16-25 on to the Oyster yesterday and beforehand it was as far as I knew only possible to buy an all zones travelcard with it. This is going to reduce my local travel costs a fair bit.

I registered the card beforehand online but still had to fill in a form at the tube station as apparently the two systems are different.

Daniel

Established Member
I registered the card beforehand online but still had to fill in a form at the tube station as apparently the two systems are different.

It's nice and confusing, that - the ticket office machines have no external connection to the internet, they can only talk to each other - so they will know if a card has been registered on another ticket office machine, but not if it has been registered online...

googolplex

I ordered my Oyster card online, and so didn't have to register it when I took it to the ticket office for the railcard to be added.
Is it set as registered at the shipping centre, which is connected to the ticket office machines?

Daniel

Established Member
I ordered my Oyster card online, and so didn't have to register it when I took it to the ticket office for the railcard to be added.
Is it set as registered at the shipping centre, which is connected to the ticket office machines?

It's possible that the oyster control centre register it on a TOM before sending it out - I'm not sure really, everything I say in this thread is from my experience working in a London Underground Ticket office, I've never been to the OCC unfortunately.

HSTChris

The single fares are not discounted if you use your railcard. All that changes is the daily price cap.

For example, the price cap without a railcard is something like £8. Which means if you do single journeys all day, you won't be charged more than £8.

But if you add your railcard, the cap is lowered, to something like £5, so you will not be charged any more than £5.

+will1337 As I understand it, the price of a Day Travelcard is what they will cap you at, but only for the zones travelled through. So if you only went through zones 1 2 and 3 on your journeys for that day, you will only be charged the price of a zone 1-3 Travelcard instead of a 1-6 one.

Sorry if anything I have said sounds incorrect, but the TFL website is very confusing, especially as some pages still say you can only use it on some national rail services!

Edvid

Established Member
See glynn80's post - off-peak single fares involving NR travel are discounted.

I agree the TfL site is confusing though.

GodAtum

On Moderation
So if I was going from Guildford to Waterloo and taking tube lines in Z1 the best way would be to buy a return to Waterloo only and then use my Oyster on the tube? Or would it be cheaper buying an all-day travelcard which is £10.50 on the weekend?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So if I was going from Guildford to Waterloo and taking tube lines in Z1 the best way would be to buy a return to Waterloo only and then use my Oyster on the tube? Or would it be cheaper buying an all-day travelcard which is £10.50 on the weekend?
Assuming that the return to Waterloo is a 16-25 discounted CDR route Clandon/Woking at £10.35, then unless the Oyster cap is as low as 15p, the Travelcard is a better option!

GodAtum

On Moderation
Assuming that the return to Waterloo is a 16-25 discounted CDR route Clandon/Woking at £10.35, then unless the Oyster cap is as low as 15p, the Travelcard is a better option!

There is a super off peak day return for £8.20 which mean a £2.30 cap?

Established Member

No with a Railcard you get a 1/3 off the combined bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and National Rail services Daily Price Cap.

e.g. if JoJo was an unknowledgable 22 year old and had an oyster card with no railcard loaded on it and used it for 3 DLR and 3 Tube Journeys, she would pay the Zone 1-2 price cap of £5.60, which she would reach on her fourth journey.

However if JoJo was a clever 22 year old and had an oyster card with a railcard loaded onto it, and used it for 6 DLR/Tube journeys she would only pay the Zone 1-2 1/3 discounted railcard cap of £3.70, which she would reach on her third journey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.