• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-25 Railcard discount on Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
However if JoJo was a clever 22 year old and had an oyster card with a railcard loaded onto it, and used it for 6 DLR/Tube journeys she would only pay the 1/3 discounted railcard cap of £3.70, which she would reach on his third journey.

So if I go from East Croydon to Uxbridge and back I only play £3.70?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SF-02

Can I add the railcard onto the oyster at all manned NR stations, or is it Underground stations only, or certain TOC stations? I'm hoping to add it on at a southeastern station.

Secondly - as they've now introduced a new peak afternoon period does that mean I won't get the 34% discount if I travel between 4-7pm using both oyster and paper tickets?

Helvellyn

Established Member
Can I add the railcard onto the oyster at all manned NR stations, or is it Underground stations only, or certain TOC stations? I'm hoping to add it on at a southeastern station.

Ticket Offices at Underground stations definitely. National Rail stations I would expect only if they retail Oyster, and any doing that would be in the Zones.

General Zod

If you had a YP Railcard discount loaded onto your Oyster card would you be entitled to a discount on a single NR journey made , for example, between Clapham Junction and Earlsfield ? According to the TfL Farefinder the Off Peak fare for the journey is £1.50, by how much would this reduced if a discount was applicable , a third perhaps ?

HSTChris

If you had a YP Railcard discount loaded onto your Oyster card would you be entitled to a discount on a single NR journey made , for example, between Clapham Junction and Earlsfield ? According to the TfL Farefinder the Off Peak fare for the journey is £1.50, by how much would this reduced if a discount was applicable , a third perhaps ?

Single fares are not reduced, it's only the daily cap.

Edvid

Established Member
HSTChris, please read the thread again. :lol:

(General Zod - your journey would indeed be discounted by about a third.)

General Zod

HSTChris, please read the thread again. :lol:

(General Zod - your journey would indeed be discounted by about a third.)

Thanks Edvid. I assume this means that NR fares which are priced the same as TfL e.g. South Ruislip (NR) - Marylebone (NR ) will also be available at the discount price ? £1.60 ( after discount) for South Ruislip - London Marylebone (NR) is good value.

Magicake

glynn80 said:
Railcard discounts are available for single PAYG prices for journeys inclusive of travel on National Rail services, and lower priced ‘Off-Peak daily cap for Oyster card holders.

Does this mean that a journey from a tube station to a national rail station may actually be cheaper if i'm catching the train after?
For example if I travel by tube to waterloo and then catch a mainline train to vauxhall will it all count as one journey and so get 34% off ending up cheaper than if I just caught the tube to waterloo?

Daniel

Established Member
TOPH said:
In addition to the discount on the Zones 1-6, 1-9, or 1-9W
Day Travelcard (Off Peak), holders of Annual Goldcards
and NR Railcards are also entitled to discounted fares on
certain wholly NR journeys after 10.00 Monday to Friday,
and at all times at weekends and on public holidays.
The discounted fares for Railcard and Annual Goldcard
holders are shown in the ‘Through Fares to NR Stations’
book supplied by Rail Fares. Discounted tickets have the
same validity as the full price equivalent. Holders of Annual
tickets issued on an Oyster card must present their Gold
Record Card to obtain a discount.

TOPH said:
No discount is available on LU journeys, or on through
fares to NR destinations, which involve travel on LU
services, except where there is joint availability between
LU and NR services and additionally to Great Missenden,
Wendover, Stoke Mandeville, Aylesbury and Aylesbury Vale
Parkway.

It's showing as 34% discount available on Off-Peak and anytime tickets, subject to the minimum fare.

Further Down:

[quote="TOPH]Holders of Senior, HM Forces, 16-25 and Disabled Persons
Railcards can have a Railcard discount entitlement added
to a registered Oyster card.
Once the discount entitlement has been loaded, PAYG
will be deducted at normal rates, but a lower Off Peak cap
will apply.[/quote]

HSTChris

I am a little confused about the price capping, can someone explain it better?

What I don't understand is:

It says that my tickets will be capped at the price of a day travelcard for the zones I have travelled through. Does this mean that each individual journey will be capped at that price, or does it mean that my entire days travelling will be capped at that price?

Daniel

Established Member
Once your card is capped for that day for the zones you are travelling in, provided you travel only in those ones, you will simply be charged a £0.00 fare for subsequent journies.

HSTChris

Cool. So if a 1-6 travelcard was £5 with my YP card, and I only travelled in those zones all day, I wouldn't be charged anything above £5?

Daniel

Established Member
If the appropriate fare was £5, then you wouldn't be charged anymore - correct.

HSTChris

And thats for all modes of transport, not just the underground? That cap includes National Rail as well?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(And any combinations of transport)

Daniel

Established Member
This is where I am going to be cautious.

Once your card has capped, you will not be charged more - over all modes of transport.

However, it will cap at the appropriate fare - the price of an LU cap and an LU/NR cap may be different..

General Zod

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/singlefares/6769.aspx

You have to be careful though. For example, the z1-2 cap is £3.70 but don't expect unlimited travel on Oyster ( within z1-2) after 0930am if you have ONLY £3.70 on your card. You must have £3.70 + the minimum fare for zone 1 travel. Although you won't be charged anything once your cap is reached your card must have a minimum balance on it for you to be allowed through the "ENTRY" ticket gates.

General Zod

I fell into the trap the first year I had my discount loaded. The balance on my card was £3.30. I travelled in z2 for 3 journeys ( £1.10 x 3) and assumed that my cap had been reached so I would be charged any more. However, the balance was now down to £0.00 and when I went on my 4th journey the gates would not open as my card had zero balance. I topped the card up with a pound or two , was subsequently let through the gates but was not charged for the journey and the money remained on my card.

Status
Not open for further replies.