• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-30 Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some unsurprising news, which will save a few quid for my generation...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42052750
"Railcards offering discounted train travel are to be extended to people up to 30 years old.

Chancellor Philip Hammond is set to announce the extension in Wednesday's Budget after a successful trial that convinced the Treasury the move would be revenue neutral.

Currently, the young persons' railcard is for the 16-25 age bracket, but a new 26-30 card will be introduced.

The so-called millennials' card will be available from about Spring 2018.

A trial of the 26-30 year-olds card took place in East Anglia and will now be rolled-out nationally."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Being 27, and really feeling the loss of my railcard, I'm very happy about this :) And I would travel more than I currently do if I had one :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
yeah! still to old/ to young/ to childless for a railcard.

Millennials get a discount but not people working on the railway. huzzah! Should go down well with many here who will continue to be insulated from the real world.

cuccir

Established Member
It does seem an odd decision to continue to shrink the Railcardless group is so that it's now only able-bodied 30-60 year old non armed forces workers travelling alone outside the South-East of England or selected rural lines. The more and more this group shrinks, the less reasonable it seems to not have some sort of national railcard.

Given that most definitions of Millenials start at some point between 1981-1986, btw, there's plenty of 'millenials' (myself included) who won't be getting this card!

yeah! still to old/ to young/ to childless for a railcard.

Find yourself a friend and get a TwoTogether Card ;)

who will continue to be insulated from the real world.

I'm intrigued to know what definition of 'real world' you're using that doesn't include Railcards. I didn't realise that they were imaginary products.

Last edited:

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Heard an interesting comment on this a while ago when the news first broke (can't remember where, so can't link to it). It was from somebody who presumably is in the range that isn't eligible for it (which, annoyingly, also includes me!) and was along the lines of "If they can give railcards out to a larger group, why don't they just make all rail fares 30% cheaper?"

I know it's more complicated than that, but the commenter possibly has a point...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Heard an interesting comment on this a while ago when the news first broke (can't remember where, so can't link to it). It was from somebody who presumably is in the range that isn't eligible for it (which, annoyingly, also includes me!) and was along the lines of "If they can give railcards out to a larger group, why don't they just make all rail fares 30% cheaper?"

I know it's more complicated than that, but the commenter possibly has a point...
I don't think it makes sense to make all fares 30% cheaper, but it does make sense to have a National Railcard that anyone can use. It could even cost a three-figure sum; people would pay that.

Status
Not open for further replies.