• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1644 London Liverpool Street - Clacton-on-Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Does the 1644 London Liverpool Street - Clacton-on-Sea still detach a Harwich Town portion at Colchester?

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
On which day?

Mon-Fri
It always used to detach a portion to Harwich Town at Colchester departing from there at 1747, but since December 2011, this is no longer shown in timetables for some reason. Timetables 2 has led me to believe this is now operated as a separate train, but I am unsure. This is the last timetable to show it being split, all timetables after this no longer show splitting trains.
It still waits at Colchester for 4 mins so a set could be detached, and I'm sure I have seen it on the boards in London as to Clacton & Harwich Town.

Searle

Established Member
If it helps, on Timetables 2 it shows that the 1744 to Clacton waits on platform 1 for four minutes, before leaving. Then the 1747 to Harwich leaves from platform 1 as well (just three minutes later), with no indication of how it got there. Seems like it still splits to me, but I have no knowledge apart from what I can see on Timetables 2.

Here's the page I'm looking at on Timetables 2, for reference :P

15MPHMAX

Yes it does split at Colchester. I think we're booked in at 17:39, the front 8 coaches go to Clacton and the rear four coaches go to Harwich at 17:47 following the 17:00 to Norwich which doesn't stop at Colchester.

Broadside

Does the 1644 London Liverpool Street - Clacton-on-Sea still detach a Harwich Town portion at Colchester?

Sure does. And still contains many travellers who don't know if they're in the "front 8" or the "rear 4".

I take it the Class 360 PIS can't show different messages per unit? ie "This carriage is for Harwich Town" etc.

EDIT: Actually I think it might well do now. It's the splitting 1708 LST-Clacton/Colchester Town Class 321 that definitely doesn't.

Last edited:

15MPHMAX

The PIS code doesn't work for this service, it has been faulted but still not been rectified.

slick

Passenger/Public Information System. Driver enters a code into a PIS interface in the cab and the train should then do automatic announcemts enroute of the trains progess aswell as internal scrolling displays and the destination indicator on the front and sometimes on the side of the train.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Passenger/Public Information System. Driver enters a code into a PIS interface in the cab and the train should then do automatic announcemts enroute of the trains progess aswell as internal scrolling displays and the destination indicator on the front and sometimes on the side of the train.

Oh right, thanks :)

Why/how is the 1644's broken?

15MPHMAX

For some reason the PIS code doesn't work for this service and hasn't ever as far as I know. Personally I just do manual announcement when safe to do so. Hopefully they can get it fixed sooner rather than later.

SprinterMan

Established Member
For some reason the PIS code doesn't work for this service and hasn't ever as far as I know. Personally I just do manual announcement when safe to do so. Hopefully they can get it fixed sooner rather than later.

How strange, what does the PIS say then? Is it off?

Last edited:

15MPHMAX

In reagrd to the PIS code it just comes up incorrect number, then we have to do manual announcements.

SprinterMan

Established Member
In reagrd to the PIS code it just comes up incorrect number, then we have to do manual announcements.

Oh ok, thanks :)

Moved from other post:
Why don't they show splitting trains in the timetables anymore (NXEA/GA's, not NR's) and why does Open Train Times/National Rail show them as separate trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.