• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16min change at Edinburgh Waverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallguy

in the midst of my multiple Edinburgh to London journeys I need to do the route in reverse!! Am looking at the 7am from KX LNER direct to Waverley then Waverley to Perth Which is my final destination. Split ticketing gives me my best pricing. The LNER arrives at Waverley at 11.22 with the Scotrail train leaving at 11.38. I will be buying advance single tickets. If the LNER train is late in to Edinburgh will my split ticket Scotrail AS from Edinburgh to Perth be valid on the next train, even though I’m not through ticketed?

Also, what about my Chiltern ticket from Risborough to KX. If that train is delayed and I miss my LNER train can I get on the next?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Also, what about my Chiltern ticket from Risborough to KX. If that train is delayed and I miss my LNER train can I get on the next?
As long as there isn't a gap...

If the LNER train is late in to Edinburgh will my split ticket Scotrail AS from Edinburgh to Perth be valid on the next train, even though I’m not through ticketed?
Yes. You might need to get LNER staff to endorse the ticket though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You're covered.

If you buy it as a through journey through a split ticketing provider you will get a through itinerary as clear evidence of the contract, which may assist in the event of any dispute (either over the acceptance of the ticket or in any resulting Delay Repay claim).

A split ticketing provider will ensure appropriate tickets are sold for the throughout journey and that any minimum interchange times are adhered to.

Do bear in mind that trains can be re-timed or deleted from the timetable between the time of booking and travel, so buying all tickets from one provider may smooth things over in any such event.

Tallguy

So I’ve hit a problem with this. The LNER booking engine is offering me a great deal from Princes Risborough to Waverley, but it won’t let me book the trains I want. 05.21 out from Risborough arriving Marylebone at 06.21 will not connect to the 7am from Kings Cross to Waverley despite there being 39 mins to get from Marylebone to KX - I could walk it in that - it will only let me connect to the 07.30 Waverley service, same problem with other split ticketing suppliers. Is 39 mins below the minimum connection time for this route? If I take the 7.30 from KX I will miss the connection at Waverley and not reach Perth until much later. So is my option to buy separate tickets from each TOC which presumably won’t cover me for a missed train or can someone think of a way to force the LNER engine to give me what I want please? Or do I bite the bullet and get to Perth post lunch? Travel date is 3rd Sept. Thanks.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So I’ve hit a problem with this. The LNER booking engine is offering me a great deal from Princes Risborough to Waverley, but it won’t let me book the trains I want. 05.21 out from Risborough arriving Marylebone at 06.21 will not connect to the 7am from Kings Cross to Waverley despite there being 39 mins to get from Marylebone to KX - I could walk it in that - it will only let me connect to the 07.30 Waverley service, same problem with other split ticketing suppliers. Is 39 mins below the minimum connection time for this route? If I take the 7.30 from KX I will miss the connection at Waverley and not reach Perth until much later. So is my option to buy separate tickets from each TOC which presumably won’t cover me for a missed train or can someone think of a way to force the LNER engine to give me what I want please? Or do I bite the bullet and get to Perth post lunch? Travel date is 3rd Sept. Thanks.
It's not a valid connection. Minimum connection time is 10 (MYB) + 23 (Tube) + 15 (KGX) = 48 mins.

If you do book the tickets separately, you won't be covered if the train to Marylebone is delayed and causes you to miss your connection.

paul1609

Established Member
I reckon most people wouldn't be able to make a platform to platform walk from Marylebone to Kings Cross in 48 minutes let along 39!

Veteran Member
I reckon most people wouldn't be able to make a platform to platform walk from Marylebone to Kings Cross in 48 minutes let along 39!
Googlemaps tells me 2.0miles. I agree.
In practice it is do-able but you would have no comeback if Chiltern or LU had problems

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Google Maps says 43 minutes but you need to allow time to get to/from stations and there are a lot of side roads on the Euston Road .

In any case doing this would invalidate the tickets if the connection was not made.

I really would strongly advise sticking to official accredited split ticketing websites rather than trying to do it yourself.

kieron

Established Member
So is my option to buy separate tickets from each TOC which presumably won’t cover me for a missed train or can someone think of a way to force the LNER engine to give me what I want please? Or do I bite the bullet and get to Perth post lunch? Travel date is 3rd Sept. Thanks.
If you can get to Milton Keynes by 6.20, you could catch a Glasgow train and get to Perth at 12:56. I haven't looked at tickets for this, but at least you wouldn't need to pay Avanti's anytime fares.

It shouldn't take anything like 39 minutes to get from Marylebone to Kings Cross if you go that way (TfL say the quickest route takes 14 minutes by bus), but the railway won't have to compensate you if you miss the 7am train for any reason, or allow you to travel later on an advance ticket.
It's not a valid connection. Minimum connection time is 10 (MYB) + 23 (Tube) + 15 (KGX) = 48 mins.

If you do book the tickets separately, you won't be covered if the train to Marylebone is delayed and causes you to miss your connection.
Not that it matters here, but it's 53 minutes between 5:29 and 6:59. I haven't seen anything in writing to say that you'd use this figure when trying to catch a 7am train, but it makes sense that way to me.

Tallguy

So, after much playing with fares and split ticketing options, the cheapest and guaranteed connection way is for me to board the 5.21 at Risborough and take the 07.30 out of KX to Waverley which is what I have booked for £68 On the LNER app. I have then purchased an AS from Waverley to Perth from the Scotrail website for £9.10. The gap at Waverley is 26mins which will hopefully be enough time. If I do miss the connection at Waverley due to LNER running late then I’ve only risked less than a tenner and am happy with that risk. Thanks for all comments And help.

alistairlees

Established Member
So, after much playing with fares and split ticketing options, the cheapest and guaranteed connection way is for me to board the 5.21 at Risborough and take the 07.30 out of KX to Waverley which is what I have booked for £68 On the LNER app. I have then purchased an AS from Waverley to Perth from the Scotrail website for £9.10. The gap at Waverley is 26mins which will hopefully be enough time. If I do miss the connection at Waverley due to LNER running late then I’ve only risked less than a tenner and am happy with that risk. Thanks for all comments And help.
Unless I have misunderstood you there is no risk. A 26 minute wait at Edinburgh Waverley comfortably exceeds the minimum connection time, and you should be able to use your Advance ticket between Edinburgh and Perth on a later ScotRail train (assuming it’s a ScotRail Advance fare) without issue, if the LNER train from London kings cross to Edinburgh is sufficiently delayed to miss this.

Tallguy

Unless I have misunderstood you there is no risk. A 26 minute wait at Edinburgh Waverley comfortably exceeds the minimum connection time, and you should be able to use your Advance ticket between Edinburgh and Perth on a later ScotRail train (assuming it’s a ScotRail Advance fare) without issue, if the LNER train from London kings cross to Edinburgh is sufficiently delayed to miss this.
I booked the Risborough to Edinburgh section direct with LNER. The Edinburgh to Perth section was booked direct with Scotrail and is indeed a Scotrail AS. I didn’t realise that 2 separate tickets booked direct With 2 different TOC’s count as through ticketed as long as I exceed the minimum connection time at Edinburgh. This goes against my understanding of DIY split ticketing rather than using a split ticket provider.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I booked the Risborough to Edinburgh section direct with LNER. The Edinburgh to Perth section was booked direct with Scotrail and is indeed a Scotrail AS. I didn’t realise that 2 separate tickets booked direct With 2 different TOC’s count as through ticketed as long as I exceed the minimum connection time at Edinburgh. This goes against my understanding of DIY split ticketing rather than using a split ticket provider.
The validity of tickets, either on their own or in combination with others, is completely independent from which retailer you choose to buy them from.

Whilst using one split ticket provider might make it easier to show your entire itinerary at once, your rights are unaffected if you choose to use multiple retailers.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Even on split tickets you are still okay if you allow the minimum connection time.

Tallguy

The validity of tickets, either on their own or in combination with others, is completely independent from which retailer you choose to buy them from.

Whilst using one split ticket provider might make it easier to show your entire itinerary at once, your rights are unaffected if you choose to use multiple retailers.
This is welcome news to me, thanks Watershed and AlterEgo.

Status
Not open for further replies.