• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1700 King's Cross-Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

Hi all,

I've been trying to get an East Coast seat reservation changed on this service for a while now (because the seat selector was down and I was put in coach M by default, but wanted the quiet coach). After the latest email and reply, I have this amazing response from their Web Support:

East Coast web support email said:
Having replicated your booking, I can see the 17:00 service does not exist, the only East Coast service around the time you wish to travel is the 17:30. I can issue you seat reservations on this service however your travel tickets will be invalid. Having spoken to my Supervisor we would like to offer you a full refund for the ticket.

Err, well in that case the timetable is completely wrong, then - because according to that there certainly is a 1700 to Edinburgh, and the 1730 is to Newcastle. Not to mention that I had already attempted to replicate the booking and not had the same problem.

Not quite sure where to take it from here now...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
East Coast Web Support are absolutely useless, so this does not entirely surprise me.

You could try contacting Customer Services, but that's based in Plymouth these days I think, and the people there are less than helpful. But worth a try - after several phone calls you might, just might, get through to someone with some brains. Maybe.

In fact, I would be shocked if they actually changed your seat reservations without attempting to charge you for the privilege. When I tried they said it would attract a £10 admin fee, and the station said that too (that was just before the seat selector facility was added, and I had booked 4 tickets and wanted them all to be at the same table but it had put us all over the place. They wanted £30! :lol: Needless to say they did not get £30 and we sat at an unreserved table!)

To be honest, I expect bad customer service from TOCs "support" or "customer services" departments these days. I am pleasantly surprised when you actually get to speak to someone helpful. It is so, so rare.

Fortunately on board staff are generally very good. I am sure you'll have no problem swapping seats on the day if you arrive say 20 mins before departure.

carriageline

Established Member
If you can afford to, why not let them refund the ticket, then rebuy the ticket online?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you can afford to, why not let them refund the ticket, then rebuy the ticket online?
That will work providing the ticket is available at the same fare. If not, then I would just swap seats on the day.

Robinson

That will work providing the ticket is available at the same fare. If not, then I would just swap seats on the day.

I did think about that, but it isn't, sadly. £64.35 for the ticket I currently have; if I buy again it's £97...

calc7

Established Member
Be there for 1630 on the day so that you can run to the quiet coach as soon as the departure is announced.

Alternatively, some Virgin clerks are happy to provide for free an extra seat reservation with an Advance ticket if your first one is not preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.