• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

170101 at Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd0733

Established Member
About a month/6 weeks or so ago 170101 was in Crewe station and then ran onto LNWR, yesterday when I went past the centre car could be seen in the shed at LNWR with its doors removed. Anybody know why its there/what happened to it. It looked ok when it went in so guessing its some form of overhaul that's being done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
170101 is the first of all of the 170/1 fleet to be 're-furbished' (a refresh to us) This includes new toilets/ new seat covers. Basically mid franchise up-lift. 170101 won't be out until October at the earliest.

Thanks,

sd0733

Established Member
Thanks for that, no need to wonder now when keep seeing it.

Welcome to the forum too XCTurbostar.

387star

On Moderation
170101 is the first of all of the 170/1 fleet to be 're-furbished' (a refresh to us) This includes new toilets/ new seat covers. Basically mid franchise up-lift. 170101 won't be out until October at the earliest.

Thanks,

Any voyager refresh on the cards? This is after all the second refurb XC have given the 170s

MCR247

Established Member
And any voyager refresh would be the second given to voyagers so its not as if they've never had anything done :?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Thanks guys! Nice to be welcomed to the forum!

I travel on the 170s daily from Nuneaton to Birmingham and I mentioned to CrossCountry that 170101 had vanished off the face of the earth! As far as I am aware this refresh is also related to the latest overall (C6?) I don't actually know if the 170/5, 170/6 & 170/3 are also included in this considering that they are all newer. I wish that the automated announcements would also be included as I can't tell you amount of times the guards have forgotten to do the announcements or just said the station name as the train stops in the station. Surely it's not that difficult to implement considering LM have automated announcements on their 170s?

Thanks,
Ross

sd0733

Established Member
LMs 170s haven't got auto-announcers, the 172s have but 170s just have the screens as built.
The scotrail 170s do have the auto announcements added though.

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member
Thanks guys! Nice to be welcomed to the forum!

I travel on the 170s daily from Nuneaton to Birmingham and I mentioned to CrossCountry that 170101 had vanished off the face of the earth! As far as I am aware this refresh is also related to the latest overall (C6?) I don't actually know if the 170/5, 170/6 & 170/3 are also included in this considering that they are all newer. I wish that the automated announcements would also be included as I can't tell you amount of times the guards have forgotten to do the announcements or just said the station name as the train stops in the station. Surely it's not that difficult to implement considering LM have automated announcements on their 170s?

Thanks,
Ross
I'd suspect they would be, they were all last refreshed at the same time 2007-2010 ish. Also if anything the /3s are in the worst condition, and could do with new seats.
Hope they've choosen a brighter coloured seat covering than the current ones which makes them seem much darker than the LM ones.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I'd suspect they would be, they were all last refreshed at the same time 2007-2010 ish. Also if anything the /3s are in the worst condition, and could do with new seats.
Hope they've choosen a brighter coloured seat covering than the current ones which makes them seem much darker than the LM ones.

The 170/3s are definitely in a worse state than the rest of the fleet. I don't think that CrossCountry will be in the position to change the seats as their colours are well presented in the seat colours. The Class 170/3s are the anomaly of the fleet because of their different seat types (Which need to be standardised in my opinion)

Thanks,
Ross

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Service was cancelled. This was apparently supposed to be 170115.

Thanks,
Ross

Qwerty133

Established Member
The 170/3s are definitely in a worse state than the rest of the fleet. I don't think that CrossCountry will be in the position to change the seats as their colours are well presented in the seat colours. The Class 170/3s are the anomaly of the fleet because of their different seat types (Which need to be standardised in my opinion)

Thanks,
Ross

Only just seen this, but unfortunately standardising the seats would require replacing the seats on all units, and really would struggle to be justified in my opinion. This is because neither the seats on the /3s or the others are still manufactured.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
This morning the 06:43 from Leicester to Birmingham was only 2 coaches (170115) This obviously resulted in a lot of people standing and a lot of discomfort. The train guard blamed the fact that and I quote "quite a lot of units have gone away for refurbishment at brush and crewe" now I know that crewe was refurbishing 170101 but I wasn't aware of more than one unit having gone for refurbishment. Anyone got any extra info?

Thanks,
Ross

Minilad

Established Member
Brush are doing below solebar and Crewe are doing internal. Not sure how many are OOS at any one time though. I am guessing maybe one at each location at a time

XCTurbostar

Established Member
170112 has now returned to service having been refurbished.
170104 has also received 'Part of Arriva, a DB Company' Stickers
170101 also sounded a little rough today with shaking panels and dodgy engine notes.

Thanks,
Ross

387star

On Moderation
170112 has now returned to service having been refurbished.
170104 has also received 'Part of Arriva, a DB Company' Stickers
170101 also sounded a little rough today with shaking panels and dodgy engine notes.

Thanks,
Ross

What work has been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.