• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

175 Air Conditioning unit noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheridan

Has anyone else noticed that when leaving stations (i.e. when the train has been sitting stationary for a minute or two) the Air Con in 175 units makes a lot of noise while it gets to the right temperature? The last 3 times I have travelled on one it has been clicking and whirring for a few minutes after departing each station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I have noticed this on a few of the class 175's I have been on although the air con has been quiet on one or two class 175's I have been on especially 175004

Established Member
On the subject of 175s, has anyone heard 001 lately? Coach C makes a very strange whining noise when power is applied, I travelled on it yesterday from Chester to Llandudno Junction!

anthony263

Established Member
On the subject of 175s, has anyone heard 001 lately? Coach C makes a very strange whining noise when power is applied, I travelled on it yesterday from Chester to Llandudno Junction!

I keep a listen out when I next travel on it.

ryan125hst

Established Member

It's not the same class of train, but part of the same family: I traveled on a class 180 between Retford and Doncaster back in February and that was making a strange noise all the way! I think it might have been something to do with the transmission (can anyone confirm this?). It was a Hull Trains service, and they have had a lot of failures lately.

With regards to the air conditioning, again it's a class 180, but a few years ago on the way down to London (again with HT), I noticed that the end of the coach my family and I were sat in was quite warm (it was a hot day, but it seemed to be blowing out warm, or at least uncooled, air), while the other side of the coach was nice and cool. Typical as we had seat reservations! Are there two separate A/C systems per coach? Does this apply only to modern units, or does it apply to older trains (HST's, 225's etc.) as well?

Erniescooper

It's not the same class of train, but part of the same family: I traveled on a class 180 between Retford and Doncaster back in February and that was making a strange noise all the way! I think it might have been something to do with the transmission (can anyone confirm this?). It was a Hull Trains service, and they have had a lot of failures lately.

With regards to the air conditioning, again it's a class 180, but a few years ago on the way down to London (again with HT), I noticed that the end of the coach my family and I were sat in was quite warm (it was a hot day, but it seemed to be blowing out warm, or at least uncooled, air), while the other side of the coach was nice and cool. Typical as we had seat reservations! Are there two separate A/C systems per coach? Does this apply only to modern units, or does it apply to older trains (HST's, 225's etc.) as well?
The 175/180 have virtually the same air con, it's a single unit but has two separate cooling and heating circuits that can operate independently of each other at either end of the saloon. The normal cause of one hot end is that low refridgerant pressure has caused the air con at one end to trip out and the damper at that end opens to let the outside in, while at the other end the air con is working flat out to maintain an average temperature of 22 degrees across the entire saloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.