• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

175 at Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddlesnap419

Hello everyone

I was in Chester yesterday (18th May) and while waiting for my train I noticed a single Class 175 driving end car stabled in the sidings across from Platform 7. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture because another two coach 175 was in the way. I've not seen this before, so does anyone know why it's there?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
As for the question of why it's sat at Chester, the 175s are maintained at the depot just west of the station (platform 2 end).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This might give you a lead

I've just picked this up from the Chester Chronicle.
http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/ne...-rail-11310885

...Four Class 175 Coradia units operated by Arriva Trains Wales are already out of service at the company's Chester depot, and all its other 175s – which are used on most Holyhead-Cardiff and Llandudno-Manchester services – are in need or urgent repairs.

A company spokeswoman said: “We can confirm four of our 175 units are currently out of use for corrosion repairs, also our 150 fleet is undergoing corrosion repairs.

“We have not seen any significant impact on performance.

“However we’ve tried to use 158 stock instead of 150 stock where possible as 158s can attain 90mph vice a 175’s max speed of 100mph (and there are not very many 100mph stretches of track on our network.)

“We hope that all of the corrosion maintenance work will be completed by summer 2016.

Charlie Hulme, who runs an online noticeboard on the North Wales coast railway, said the corrosion affects window frames, stump pillars and solebars....
It would appear there have some corrosion issues affecting the window frames, stump pillars and sole bars, according to the article. Also, I can't turn them up at the moment but there have been posts already.
There are one or two 175s have their carriages transposed but this particular one was due to tree bashing damage during storms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip

On Moderation
175110 (the coast ghost) has had its centre car reinstated - seen working the 11:10 Milford Haven to Manchester today.

Last edited:

paddlesnap419

I hadn't noticed that. I presumed it was something to do with the corrosion repair issue that ATW have been having of late, but wanted to just check as a single 175 car is not something I've ever seen before.

Thanks to all who replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.