• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

18.23 London Bridge to Eastbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymroglan

I've decided to catch up with the Wessex Electrics which once played an important part in my life. I was wondering whether anyone knows much about this working?
In particular, it would be helpful to know whether it is a regular 442 working. I would also appreciate any info about the loadings - is it packed out, is it full of groups of day tripping language school students, or mainly commuter types, anything else I meed to know?
Many thanks for any help! I have tried several internet searches before posting!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Always a 442 except in a few extremely rare cases where a 377 has replaced it.

Its busier the closer to the barriers it is, not that busy towards the front of the train (always 10 car). Mostly just commuters that use it, some daytrippers do get on at East Croydon and Haywards Heath though, connecting for Lewes and Eastbourne.

neilm

Always a 442, as Ushawk said, plenty of room at the front. Best to go on a Thursday and Friday if possible, always plenty of room on it, I normally get two seats to myself.

Cymroglan

Thanks for the really helpful, detailed replies! I'm hoping to catch a 442 to Eastbourne during next week. I'll post a brief report. Love the Wessex Electrics!

6Gman

Established Member
Thanks for the really helpful, detailed replies! I'm hoping to catch a 442 to Eastbourne during next week. I'll post a brief report. Love the Wessex Electrics!

Having sampled one for the first time a few weeks ago they are rather lovely aren't they?

Cymroglan

Yes they are! My very first experience of them was at an open day at Bournemouth depot. My daughter was a train loving toddler at the time and we had a memorable picnic at one of the tables on board. Truly happy days!
I never had one break down on me in all the commuting I was later to do on them.
Love the design of the front in particular. To me they manage to look both retro and futuristic. Good old British Rail I say.

junglejames

Established Member
Beware, they arent really as nice inside now. Southern ruined the interior. Still fantastic trains though.

Status
Not open for further replies.