• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1820 GC Service off kings cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
On the aove service which has left the cross 10 down due to crew rest requirements. Very strange consist on this service today 3xfc and 3xsc with no buffet. There is a tech fault with the buffet - I wonder what that could be

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
When I was at Kings Cross yesterday, late morning, there was a GC HST that had one FC coach deputising for an |SC coach; it had "this is for Standard Class ticket holders" in the door windows.

Why do they seem to have such trauma with their HST coaches? I thought they'd sorted all the problems?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
When I was at Kings Cross yesterday, late morning, there was a GC HST that had one FC coach deputising for an |SC coach; it had "this is for Standard Class ticket holders" in the door windows.

Why do they seem to have such trauma with their HST coaches? I thought they'd sorted all the problems?

That is always like that - I think they are short an sc coach. In fact i am traveling in that coach now and very comfy it is to! I just didn't know they had so many fc coaches

sprinterguy

Established Member
Both the FOs and TSOs were converted from loco hauled mark 3s.

Grand Central have an imbalance in carriages, with six first class vehicles and nine standard class ones to allow for two first class vehicles in each formation, but of course only one designated first class coach is used. This means that at least one HST will have at least one declassified first class coach acting as standard class accomodation at any time, often more.

Grand Central HST formations have always seemed fairly fluid to me, certainly more so than those of the franchised TOCs.

Bridge189

The faulty buffet thing has been going on since at least Monday. Must be pretty serious otherwise it would have been sorted by now.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm on the mid-afternoon service off KGX tomorrow on the West Riding route, which I *think* is a HST diagram...if it is, I'll post as to what its formation is :)

wensley

Established Member
Bradfords are solidly 180s, crew not fully trained to work HSTs north of Doncaster. Not sure about the buffet problem, as I'm in the US. The TF issue ma be particularly bad in one set due to coaches being away on refresh. 10min delay could have been worse as well!! :)

BOSCH

The Buffet car is not in the formation as its at LNWR works in Crewe for C4 overhaul and not due to a "technical fault" as stated ;)

34D

Established Member
Bradfords are solidly 180s, crew not fully trained to work HSTs north of Doncaster.

I didn't think that was the issue, but more that one part of the route (in west yorks) wasn't cleared. A HST set did the duty at least once, being terminated at somewhere like Kirkgate. Others will know more.

Both the FOs and TSOs were converted from loco hauled mark 3s.

Grand Central have an imbalance in carriages, with six first class vehicles and nine standard class ones to allow for two first class vehicles in each formation, but of course only one designated first class coach is used. This means that at least one HST will have at least one declassified first class coach acting as standard class accomodation at any time, often more.

Grand Central HST formations have always seemed fairly fluid to me, certainly more so than those of the franchised TOCs.

Do they actually have three rakes of stock formed up? If so where is the third buffet car (if one is in one rake, and one at LNWR)?

wensley

Established Member
I didn't think that was the issue, but more that one part of the route (in west yorks) wasn't cleared. A HST set did the duty at least once, being terminated at somewhere like Kirkgate. Others will know more.

That set was conducted by trained staff, there was a clearance issue but as far as I am aware that has been resolved. Sets don't work the route due to short platforms and lack of training.

Waddon

I wonder if GC will ever get round to fixing the drafty windows and the low level of heating in their mark 3 stock? On every journey I've made with them I've heard at least one complaint to the guard about the temperature, and sometimes several

Bridge189

I'm surprised they didn't source another buffet while that one was away on exam. EC always have a spare one.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Out of Interest how do GC deal with catering when the Buffet Car is out? Do they have any trollies stowed away anywhere? or do they have no catering at all in those circumstances?

Crossover

Established Member
I'm surprised they didn't source another buffet while that one was away on exam. EC always have a spare one.

Sorry to take this slightly OT but do all EMT services have buffets?

The service I was on this morning (2 x 5 car Meridians) had no open buffet in the front set, with a note in the window of the buffet saying it was now trolley service and the trolley was sat there next to the buffet

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry to take this slightly OT but do all EMT services have buffets?

Buffets have been replaced with trolleys on all services, though the buffets themselves are still fitted they are out of use unless the service is very busy in which case the trolley sets up there.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Buffets have been replaced with trolleys on all services, though the buffets themselves are still fitted they are out of use unless the service is very busy in which case the trolley sets up there.

That is terrible, have they not learned from Cross Country's mistakes? :roll:

No doubt they use Rail Gourmet too........:roll:

wintonian

Established Member
SWT use them, so more than likely.

EMT is a bit like Ryanair anyway a cheap and cheerful alternative.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is terrible, have they not learned from Cross Country's mistakes?

No doubt they use Rail Gourmet too........

Everyone uses RG to one degree or another, some to provide the entire catering service others to only supply the stock. In EMTs case RG supply the standard class catering in it's entirety and for first class it supplies the stock but the delivery of the first class service (on weekdays and weekend breakfast trains) is provided by in-house EMT CSAs.

Well so far unlike XC they haven't physically removed them from the trains so the buffets could easily be brought back into use again should the need arise in the future.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
TBH i never really have a problem with GC - they offer a fast cheap (ish) service from the North East /York to London.

They use decent trains, the staff are nice and friendly, the stock is comfortable they are reliable (ish) and you can often get a seat.

The other night they did seem to be offering refreshments from the first class service point for sale to the second class passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.