• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1846 Euston-Preston ThFO relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just noticed that my First Advance noted in another thread is on this train (joining at MKC).

I know it's too late for a meal service, but is it actually First Class? I have noted a few people suggesting it's declassified, but I thought it wasn't any more, and the Manchester relief nearer 1900 was now the Standard Class train.

Is any service provided - tea/coffee etc or nothing at all?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So it is, I guess it must be the Manchester relief that runs Thursday too. I knew one of them did.

Question still stands, though (the journey is on a Friday).

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is Friday only, and it does carry First Class. I would expect drinks etc to be available. Only the 1857 Manchester is declassified.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
don't worry - there is a Greggs and a Costa outside MKC. It will be fine.

Planning a Subway for scoffs as I know it's not a dinner train, but I wouldn't bother with a Costa if it's likely to have drinks service, though if I have to go to the buffet I probably will, as it's a long walk from First.

FWIW it, and my return on Sunday, are two cases where I would happily pay through the nose for a proper restaurant car meal...if only! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is Friday only, and it does carry First Class. I would expect drinks etc to be available. Only the 1857 Manchester is declassified.

Cheers.

Last edited:

RAPC

I'm booked on this in 1st in a couple of weeks and I would certainly expect a regular service of drinks and some food as there is nothing to suggest a limited service. The pricing certainly doesn't reflect a decrease in standards!

All Line Rover

Established Member
According to the Virgin Trains timetable, website, and the NRE website, there is no evening meal service. You are likely to be restricted to a choice of a chicken sandwich or 'deli snacks'.

I have never travelled on the 18:46 because it is tediously slow, but whenever I have seen it at Stafford or Crewe it has been surprisingly empty in both first and standard class (when I first saw it I thought it was a broken down train as I couldn't spot any passengers!). It appears to function primarily as a commuter service for Milton Keynes and Rugby passengers (although first class passengers travelling to Rugby would be better off on the 18:33 evening meal service). It bewilders me that Virgin offer some (rather expensive!) first class Advance tickets for travel through to Stafford, Crewe, etc.

When you travel, it would be good if you could let us know how many passengers (as a proportion) remain on the train past Rugby.

For future reference, if travelling to Crewe you are better off travelling on the 18:10 ex Euston (£48 for a 1ST AP vs. £91 for the 18:46 ex. Euston) - which is one of two trains a day to have the high quality 'Bryn Williams' evening meal - and this connects at Crewe with the 20:09 for Warrington, Wigan and Preston, with 1ST AP fares of £42, £43 and £43 respectively (oddly, they are lower than the fare to Crewe only, even though you get the evening meal on the 18:10 ex Euston plus the late evening offering on the 20:09).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have never travelled on the 18:46 because it is tediously slow, but whenever I have seen it at Stafford or Crewe it has been surprisingly empty in both first and standard class (when I first saw it I thought it was a broken down train as I couldn't spot any passengers!). It appears to function primarily as a commuter service for Milton Keynes and Rugby passengers (although first class passengers travelling to Rugby would be better off on the 18:33 evening meal service). It bewilders me that Virgin offer some (rather expensive!) first class Advance tickets for travel through to Stafford, Crewe, etc.

When you travel, it would be good if you could let us know how many passengers (as a proportion) remain on the train past Rugby.

Will do if I remember :)

For future reference, if travelling to Crewe you are better off travelling on the 18:10 ex Euston (£48 for a 1ST AP vs. £91 for the 18:46 ex. Euston) - which is one of two trains a day to have the high quality 'Bryn Williams' evening meal - and this connects at Crewe with the 20:09 for Warrington, Wigan and Preston, with 1ST AP fares of £42, £43 and £43 respectively (oddly, they are lower than the fare to Crewe only, even though you get the evening meal on the 18:10 ex Euston plus the late evening offering on the 20:09).

Not a lot of choice for me unfortunately as I'm boarding at MKC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As requested... there is service in 1st, and it is near empty - Standard busier but not full. Heading into the holidays I guess!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.