• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185102 out and about

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramboy

Hi all.

I don't know if anyone else has spotted this, but 185102 has been seen out and about this week in the North West region...see North West Scene for more, and the links page there for more photos of it.

Looks quite good to me!

Merry Christmas to all too...

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJP

Cant wait to see them Through Kirk Sandall on the Cleethorpes- Manchester services.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pictures of a press trial in 185105 in Today's Railways UK too.

I'm trying to imagine them pulling into Manchester Piccadilly, it would be a very strange sight!

They look comfy though, can't wait to see one either. Bring on March 14 when I get to see and try them!

Jim

Established Member
Watcher In The Rye said:
before too long ppl will begin complaining about them being plastic anyway.

That is as maybe, but it is true isn't it. IF they are made of plastic that is only fair

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGWFan said:
Bring on March 14 when I get to see and try them!

You'll have to do them to Hull, as that's the route which they will be running on at first :D ;)

Harold

The 185 was apparently to have been scheduled to be on test in the Manchester area on the 22nd of December. Dunno if anyone saw it :)

AlexS

Established Member
For the last time. These units are not made of bloody plastic. They are made of steel and aluminium. They are just of a more advance body design than something out of the 1960s so have much cleaner curves and a shinier more flush body finish.

The next person to say a train is plastic I'm going to smack their heads into it to see if it shatters like plastic.

AlexS said:
For the last time. These units are not made of bloody plastic. They are made of steel and aluminium. They are just of a more advance body design than something out of the 1960s so have much cleaner curves and a shinier more flush body finish.

The next person to say a train is plastic I'm going to smack their heads into it to see if it shatters like plastic.

Here Here

joeholmes

AlexS said:

About time someone said it!!

Joe

Sprog

Established Member
Its just a term aint it.........often, its not ment litterally ;) :lol:

But yes, people should lay off of them....its getting abit silly. :(

The dessies do look really nice though :!: ...i hope the mock up in the NRM was an accurate representation of the actual units, as if its the case, i think theyre are gonna be great!

Cant wait to travel on them..ive yet to do the Pennines routes... :idea:

RJ

Established Member
Watcher In The Rye said:

Do you ever stop being a pessimist
retard.gif
retard.gif
retard.gif
retard.gif
retard.gif
?

Jim said:
Watcher In The Rye said:

That is as maybe, but it is true isn't it. IF they are made of plastic that is only fair

Mk IIIs have alot of plastic. are they "plaz"? your argument makes no sense.

joea1 said:
Watcher In The Rye said:

Do you ever stop being a pessimist
retard.gif
retard.gif
retard.gif
retard.gif
retard.gif
?

i don't think it is pessimism but merely an accurate judgement of the mentality/attitude of enthusiasts who like their old stuff, and only like them instead of opening their minds. to me, a train is a train, and i like trains, so i like most of them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
the term "plastic" can mean 'of inferior quality; not the real thing', it is SUBJECTIVE so there's no point arguing about it. It does NOT mean literally plastic as in the substance :roll:

If people want to use that expression, they are free to do so if they wish.

Yorkie said...
the term "plastic" can mean 'of inferior quality; not the real thing', it is SUBJECTIVE so there's no point arguing about it. It does NOT mean literally plastic as in the substance

When the term plastic is used, are you reffering to your model railway?

37s, slammers are all inferior by todays standards of trains. If we call anything plastic it should be those i mentioned above, that being if yorkies definition of plastic is correct!

The Dictionary defines plastic as
noun

-Any of various organic compounds produced by polymerization, capable of being molded, extruded, cast into various shapes and films, or drawn into filaments used as textile fibers.

-Objects made of plastic.

-Informal. A credit card or credit cards: would accept cash or plastic in payment.

Adj

adj.
-Capable of being shaped or formed: plastic material such as clay. See synonyms at malleable.

-Relating to or dealing with shaping or modeling: the plastic art of sculpture.

-Having the qualities of sculpture; well-formed: “the astonishing plastic beauty of the chorus girls” (Frank Harris).

-Giving form or shape to a substance: the plastic forces that create and wear down a mountain range.

-Easily influenced; impressionable.

-Made of a plastic or plastics: a plastic garden hose.

-Physics. Capable of undergoing continuous deformation without rupture or relaxation.

-Biology. Capable of building tissue; formative.

-Marked by artificiality or superficiality; synthetic: a plastic world of fad, hype, and sensation.

-Informal. Of or obtained by means of credit cards: plastic money.

The railway cant run on sentiment. All these trains are life expired. We live in a modern world, not in the past.

Jim

Established Member
I know, you can't call them plastic. Thanks Alex, I thought the interior would be made of some.

However, as we call say 377's 'Plastic' then MK2's are plastic, as the seatbacks are...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
-Marked by artificiality or superficiality; synthetic: a plastic world of fad, hype, and sensation.
I think that's the definition which applies here. People use it, live with it. It's subjective, and so people are going to disagree, and we have to accept that. Why get all bothered over it? There's no need.

Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
The railway cant run on sentiment. All these trains are life expired. We live in a modern world, not in the past.
This is a topic about 185s replacing 158s. I don't think 158s are anywhere near "life expired".

So far, no-one has actually referred to 185s as "plastic", but if they wish to do so, because they feel the 185s are "a plastic world of fad, hype, and sensation", then that's up to them! The person who brought up the word 'plastic' in this topic is a known troublemaker, Watcher in the Rye, whose entire posts on this forum have been designed to cause problems. Why should we let him succeed? There's no argument here, no-one is calling the 185s "plastic".

tramboy

It appears that 185102 has made it as far as Darlington on one of its latest runs...Chris Wall (of TPE) has more on his Fotopic site here.

Also 185103 is getting ready to start going out and about at Longsight.

I'm looking forward to getting a shot or two of one going over Durham Viaduct when I'm back there!

Cheers

Dave

AJP

Not a unit fan butthey look great, 100000 times better than 158's :D

Are any on test on the Cleethorpes trains yet?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hull is the first area for the 185s? I'm adding Hull to my ALR plan now! So long as the times the 185 is out suits my requirements...

These times were posted to North East Gen for Thursday:
3N71 0803 York-Darlo
3N72 0935 Darlo-York
3N73 1015 York-Darlo
3N74 1118 Darlo-York
5N74 1205 York-LG

I passed it at Darlington on my way up to Newcastle. Not sure if it's running next week or not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.