• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185143-Trip Publishing Expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
London Midland shack clearout (04/02)

First serious trip report , so feel free to give feedback. Not sure if I’m planning to make this a regular thing, and I’d be lying if I said I was doing this one to make Southport-Liverpool South Parkway feel a bit quicker!

Here goes:

I was awake at 04:30, that alarm was not welcome by any means! I had breakfast and made sure I was fully prepared and had everything I’d need for the bash (except, unhelpfully, my Oyster Card). I was ready to leave around 05:20 and I set off driving to Runcorn station, with my Dad supervising due to a)I was driving his car, which he needed at home as I wasn’t returning to Runcorn, and b)only holding a provisional licence.

The journey to Runcorn itself was largely uneventful, however the town centre was a maze with roadworks. Dad took over driving so that I wouldn’t miss my train, and I arrived at the station with adequate time to get an additional ticket and catch my train.
Dud 390134 took me to Stafford on the 06:03 service, which was an alright journey despite being reserved in Kite159s hated seat, Coach C Seat 03. The seat is ok if you don’t have anyone next to you, which I didn’t. Wouldn’t fancy being wedged in all the way to Euston though!

The Virgin service didn’t call at Milton Keynes, and the LM 350 is always much cheaper and more likely to produce a winner, which was why I bailed at Stafford vice Nuneaton. (Are advances available between Nuneaton and the Keynes anyway?). I settled in nicely onto dud 350101 for the 80 minute journey to Milton Keynes. The rear coach was largely empty for most of the journey, which was passed quite nicely by watching episode 4 of The Grand Tour on my tablet, which was quite entertaining. Milton Keynes was reached a few minutes down, which meant I only had a couple of minutes to make my connection. Thankfully it was just across the island platform! The rare sight of a GTR Southern 377(702) was duly noted in the short time I waited.

I boarded double winner 350124+350248 for the bus stop leap to Wolverton, after speaking to the guard on the platform at MK to explain why I needed a ticket (I certainly didn’t have time to go up to the ticket office!) and I hadn’t thought of getting Wolverton until I boarded 350101 at Stafford. A ticket was sold without issue and I soon alighted at winner shack Wolverton.
Around 25 minutes later, after a quick supply raid in one of the local supermarkets, I boarded the slightly delayed 08:37 Euston service, formed of double duds 350373 and 350368. I was quite amused by the small group of people who boarded at Milton Keynes and said it was ‘disgusting’ that people travelling on their own sat at tables. They even acknowledged that there were empty tables in the 7 coaches behind, but clearly being at the front was more important! Southerners eh?

I alighted at winner shack Leighton Buzzard for a short wait for the Euston stopper, during which time I utilised the cash machine outside the station, which was working quite slowly, and nearly missed the train (winner 350114) as a result! Thankfully I didn’t as I was catching the 1 train per hour to winner shack Cheddington.

I spent the next hour spotting, not something I usually do, but there’s little else to do during long (ish) festers in the middle of nowhere when one is under 18! To put it differently, I’d never go out spotting, but I’d spot while I’m out. (If that makes sense?) Lots of pendos, a couple required, and two of my last 4 VT 221s were spotted. Kite159’s last 350 was spotted quite quickly, on a Crewe service that was curtailed at Rugby. I did the responsible thing and passed on the gen, whilst knowing it would be no use . A couple of GTR 377s were noted ,along with 57311, 68011 and 68008 all lashed together. (The 377s weren’t lashed to the locos before someone has ideas ). Dud 350118 arrived after an hour to take me one stop down the line to Berkhampstead. Thankfully Berkhampstead had a warm waiting room, which was gratefully recieved! I was considering getting a hot chocolate but decided against it when winner 350123 arrived to cart me one stop down the line to Apsley.

Anyone who follows me on twitter will have seen how I spent my 30 minutes at Apsley-sat in the waiting room with a big bottle of Pepsi Max, crisps and a film on my tablet! I barely noticed winner 350369+350129 roll in. After a mad dash, I got onboard to winner shack Kings Langley. Another 30 minute fester was due here, as was a PNB. The fester was spent opposite the ticket office charging my phone and watching some more of my film. Returning to the platform I noticed that the very warm waiting room had a plug in it, which wasn’t a welcome sight! As I boarded a full and standing 350246 I noticed both the onboard facilities were out of use. I also spotted a facility on the platform. GRR!

I gladly bailed at Watford Junction for a PNB and to transfer to 378234 for the winner track to Watford High Street. While I was waiting for the next service, one of my friends messaged me asking for cheap tickets to London as he could only find walk up fares. 378256 rolled up after 20 minutes to take me a few chains down the line to Bushey. While I was here, I found out that my friend could only see walk up tickets as the return date was beyond the booking horizon. Took a long time to realise that! A fellow passenger kept asking what time the train was due-despite being sat right infront of the screen, which went from amusing to quite irritating! 378228 soon (ish) rolled up to take me to Carpenders Park. A PNB was again required, but no facility was spotted at or near the station so it was a slightly uncomfortable 20 minute wait for the 13:09 to Hatch End, formed of 378223. A PNB and a small supply raid was much appreciated in the Morrisons near the station before taking 378214 to Headstone Lane. I watched the WCML for 20 minutes before joining 378208 to Harrow & Wealdstone.

After a lengthy 13 minute wait, it was 72 stock time! 3245+3366 rattle into the station to take me to Kenton. Noting an open LU ticket office and getting the compulsory shack sign phot, it was time for 378234 (again) to South Kenton. I always seem to have shocking luck with winner when on London Overground for some reason! After a short wait, 3261+3248 take me to Wembley Central, where I take advantage of a slight gap in the service for a PNB before 3342+3351 to Harlesden. It is here when I realise that gap in service has cost me Kensal Green, as I needed to be on the next 378 to Euston. Ah well. 378256 takes me to South Hampstead, where I note activity on the opposite platform-a passenger and LO staff member stood infront of a bloke passed out across the platform. He appeared to be ok though, as they both boarded the next service. 378234 arrived shortly after to take me to Euston. The (LO) station announcements refer to Euston, yet the onboard PIS mentions London Euston. To confuse things further, VT Voyagers on the front and sides simply say ‘Euston’!

I headed onto the Victoria Line with the intention of clearing some circle line shacks. I’ve never really taken the tube seriously for shacks and units, so I need loads of both! I was intending to head over to Euston Square but couldn’t be bothered, so it was onto the Victoria Line for the one stop bash to Kings Cross St Pancakes, the traction being 11035+11036. I’d planned to make my way round to Victoria on the circle line however I’d learnt at a shack earlier of a closure between Aldgate and Edgware Road. The sub-surface lines out of Kings Cross St Pancakes were also suspended due to a points failure, so it was to the Piccadilly line, along with all the other intending circle passengers. I boarded a very busy 329+154 to Russell Square, for a short wait for 190+391 to Holborn. 60+72 take nearly 5 minutes to arrive to take me to Covent Garden. Another short fester was taken before 192+395 take me the very short distance to Leicester Square. I knew that was a short journey, but I didn’t know it was *that* short! I didn’t manage to identify the next train due to a rammed platform, but it took me to Hyde Park Corner. Deciding that a 5 minute fester was effort, I boarded 138+305 back to Piccadilly Circus, for the Bakerloo line. 3557+3355 took me up the line to required Regents Park. 3 minute fester had achieved winners 3262+3334 up to Baker Street, where I would head for the sub surface lines.

Or not...

Kings Cross-Aldgate was still suspended and the next train wasn’t for 10 minutes, which I flagged, in favour of the Jubilee line to Bond Street, with 96043 at the helm (didn’t manage to identify the rear train as the platform was rammed). Here it was time for the Central line, to winner shack Queensway with quadruple winners 91067+92170+92096+91275 providing the traction. This felt like a much longer journey that it actually was for some reason. I decided to start heading back back towards Central London at this point. 91335+92100 (plus two others I didn’t identify) took me back to Oxford Circus, after a short delay due to a passcom activation on a train in front. At Oxford Circus, I took duds 11075+11076 to Victoria, noting the PIS screen claiming that the third train was only 2 minutes away.

My time on the rails had now come to an end, and after eventually finding the coach station, it was onto Megabus to come back home with winner 50223, coincidentally the same bus a few friends had to London a couple of weeks ago! At least I boarded with the gen that plugs and wifi worked :D

The journey was... meh. The coach joined the M1 in Brent Cross after a 50 minute slog up Edgware Road, doss was achieved soon after joining the motorway for half an hour or so. I got talking to the passenger opposite after she’d asked to borrow my phone charger for a while, and managed to do a plug for Trainsplit.com when she mentioned a journey she would have to make and didn’t want to endure a coach for it, and the normal walk up train fare was too expensive. She seemed quite a nice lady, and we bade farewell in Birmingham running a few minutes late. The lower deck of the coach was less than half full after Brum, which was nice! We hit roadworks on the M6, which slowed us down a bit, and soon after we had to stop for fuel. We eventually arrived into Manchester at around 23:25, around 20 minutes late. I could have gone on a non stop coach 30 minutes later, but decided against it due to the later coach costing £3 as a £1 fare was available on the 18:00! It was an endurance fest though! :D
If I do decide to make these trip reports a regular thing, it’ll only be from bigger trips-so there won’t be one from my Saveaway today, however next Saturday’s London bash, which starts and ends much the same (also a Megabus £1 special!) may feature.

Shacks:12
LUL Shacks:15
Winners:8
LUL Winners:28

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Sitting at a table, or anywhere else for that matter, is just human nature. They may have been sitting at the fron due to being nearer the blocks at Euston.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Now there's bound to be someone who will be further behind on their trip reports than me :lol:;)

A great read there, although I can't believe you need Kensal Green - so dud for both '72 stock and 378s. An hours fester at Cheddington? I did it with a +1, although not by your rules.

Finally, why didn't you also give the idea of Chiltern or advance fares to the lady on the bus back who, like you, must have been out of their mind ;)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sitting at a table, or anywhere else for that matter, is just human nature. They may have been sitting at the fron due to being nearer the blocks at Euston.

Although depending which platform it goes into at Euston being at the front doesn't help as a couple in the original barriered area (6-9?) means the front of the train goes besides the ramp, I think it is 2nd coach which is best for those platforms for a fast exit (if that makes any sort of sense, by original I mean the set of 4 platforms which have had barriers for a fair while)

Probably wanted the table seats for the plug sockets ;)

--------

Anyhow, pass me the smelling salts as Jamie has done a trip report ;) Sounded like a good day in London nearly clearing the southern end of the WCML. IIRC I did Cheddington on a peak time extra which certainly reduced the wait. Apart from the long coach trip back north ;)

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
I enjoyed that read and you got plenty of winners in both shacks and units! Don't envy the bus trip, no way! Needs must I suppose!

Established Member
Now there's bound to be someone who will be further behind on their trip reports than me :lol:;)

A great read there, although I can't believe you need Kensal Green - so dud for both '72 stock and 378s. An hours fester at Cheddington? I did it with a +1, although not by your rules.

Finally, why didn't you also give the idea of Chiltern or advance fares to the lady on the bus back who, like you, must have been out of their mind ;)

I suspect you didn't do it on a MKC-Zone 1 single! I did mention Chiltern for Brum trips, however the fare I used trainsplit for was Brum-Glasgow

96tommy

A great read. Just pointing out the sub surface lines were closed all weekend due to planned engineering works

Established Member
Should I do another report for this Saturday's bash?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
MY LORDZ! 185143 has got a trip report done! :D Yes you must continue posting them now!

An enjoyable read, although I must point out that it's Berkhamstead, not Berkhampstead ;)

Established Member
London Bash

After another unpleasant 04:30 alarm call, it was time for another bash! I’d be starting on the same trains as last Saturday, but this time continuing on the Trent Valley Stopper through to Euston rather than bailing out at Milton Keynes again.

I set off for Runcorn at about 05:30, slightly later than intended with Dad driving as a result of this-motorways are only allowed to be used after one has passed their test (thankfully!) After getting a travelcard, and a short wait on a cold, snowy platform-all the seats in the rather small waiting area were being taken up by a large group of scousers, winner 390151 arrived to take me to Stafford. Winners are always nice, but more so on a mandatory move! I was surprised to get gripped on this service to be honest-getting gripped on a shortish VT move always seems rare! Arrival into Stafford was on time and after a short wait, I boarded 350115 to Euston. I thought this unit was a winner at the time-I would realise later-to my horror, that it was in fact dud from a Lime St-South Parkway leap! Thats annoying...

Arrival into Euston was about 5 down, inconvenient as I only had 30 minutes to get to my connection from London Bridge. This was always going to be a tight connection... (especially bearing in mind that the only time I’ve been on the SE side of London Bridge it didn’t have any platforms and the only time I’ve set foot in the station as a whole was running from one GTR 455 across a platform to another one!) I’d just missed a Northern Line train annoyingly, so after a 2 minute wait, it was onto winners 51549+51550 for the journey. Made it onto my platform with about a minute to spare, after a VERY long walk from the tube! I caught double winners 465019+465033 for the short (ish) journey down to Catford Bridge. The 12 minute fester here in the cold and the snow sure felt much longer! It was a relief to board double winners (that’s a common theme today!) 465197+465154 for the short hop back to Ladywell. I’d noticed on the way to Catford Bridge that the footbridge at Ladywell was at the London end of the platform, so I positioned myself accordingly, as I had a very short fester.

About 3 minutes after arriving, I boarded winners 465243+465023 to Clock House, which I noticed when I wandered outside looking for a shop is spelt locally as Clockhouse. Onboard the train I was immaturely amused by a fellow passenger with a thick cockney accent telling someone the next stop was Clock House. The word ‘House’ sounded like a very different word, one beginning with ‘A’...

ANYWAY... It was here where I realised I’d messed up. Big time. I’d forgetten to identify the last train I’d had, which was easily resolved by a quick tweet to SouthEastern, and an even quicker response-I’d barely had chance to put my phone away! But it was worse than that. I looked at my plan onboard the 10:01 Hayes service (winners 465190+465011) and realised that I was on the wrong train. I should have taken the 09:56 one stop northbound...
It was therefore time to hastily replan, when I discovered mistake number 3. I was planning to clear the Bexleyheath and Woolwich Arsenal lines, which involved a change at Dartford. After confirming with Kite159, I realised that I had only bought a Z1-6 travelcard. At this point on the journey towards Hayes I decided to ditch SouthEastern altogether for the day (after clearing the Hayes line) and just improvise. I therefore bailed at Winner shack West Wickham, still in the snow. Another short fester was taken before fresh duds 465243+465023 returned to take me to Eden Park, winner shack number 5. After a short amount of time, double winners 465158+465003 arrived to take me to the line’s terminus, Hayes. I had thought, well assumed really, that this was all winner track, however it was not. I’d travelled on an Orpington-Charing Cross service last year which had taken the curve onto the Hayes line south of New Beckenham. Ah well!

After deciding that I wouldn’t make it to Sainsbury’s and back, I headed back to the station and back onto the same pair of 465s, this time to New Beckenham. I’d decided to spend a bit of time on the trams by this point, however I still needed Lower Sydenham. After a 15 minute fester, double winners 465173+465188 arrived to take me one stop up the line to Lower Sydenham. After a very cold and snowy 8 minute fester-that felt a lot longer too! It was onto double winners 465025+465181 to Elmers End. A quick dash across the bridge saw me board winner tram 2535 for the one stop to Arena. This is only the second time I’ve been on the Croydon Tramlink so all but tram 2530 are required! It was a simple cross platform move at Arena for winner (obviously) 2554 up to Avenue Road. At Birkbeck, I noticed that, unusually, GTR Southern appeared to be behaving themselves! As such I decided that Birkbeck heavy rail shack was entering the book too. Bailing at Avenue Road, it was a quick platform change onto winner 2562 back to Birkbeck. GTR Southern’s 455813 was working the impressively punctual 11:57 Beckenham Junction service which I boarded, both shacks being required, as well as the 455.

At Beckenham Junction, I had the ballsy idea of jumping on 2561 to Beckenham Road, to fill the 20 minute fester. Unfortunately, this didn’t go to plan as the Beckenham bound tram passed me on approach. Ah well! (My rules require me to board and alight for a shack to count-the observant amongst you will notice that I hadn’t boarded and alighted SouthEastern and Tramlink at Elmers End, this wasn’t something I managed to rectify that day-but I’ve made a note of it. As I had missed the tram at Beckenham Road, I ended up staying onboard to Blackhorse Lane, where I only just made 2537 for the bus stop bash to Woodside, due to it being an Elmers End service. Winner 2561 was taken back to Beckenham Junction, where I swiftly boarded winner 455838 back to Birkbeck. Given I had a session on the Caterham and Tattenham Corner branches in January, I was very surprised that both the 455s were required but hey, I’m not complaining. The trains were both on time, winners and I had a seat, what else can one expect from GTR!

I bailed at Beckenham Junction for fresh dud 2562 back to Harrington Road. Here, I just caught fresh dud 2561 to Beckenham Road. According to the information screens, the fester here was only 6 minutes, but it sure felt longer than that! I took this tram through to East Croydon station. I could now count East Croydon tram shack as my last trip on the trams was East Croydon-Wimbledon when GTR weren’t behaving. Spotting the famous EasyHotel on approach to East Croydon, I turned the other way and noticed a Sainsbury’s , so picked up a drink and some snacks for sensible ching and headed to the National Rail station. I practically walked straight down the ramp and straight onto a very full winner 377450 to Clapham Junction. I was standing, but it was the first time I’d had to stand all day, including the Northern line to London Bridge, so I can’t complain really (and I managed a much needed PNB). I bailed out at Clapham Junction and dived straight onto a 455 on the opposite platform. I never did find out the eventual destination of that train, but it was winner 5869 to winner shack Earlsfield. After a very short fester (around 3 minutes IIRC) I boarded winner 5910 to Ewell West. It had finally stopped snowing now, and I spent the 13 minutes stood in front of the timetable board planning my moves. Winner 5912 arrived to take me up to Raynes Park, however I noticed at the next shack that South bound services were being delayed. As such, partly influenced by a rapidly depleting phone battery (I did have a power bank however I left it on a bus in Liverpool on Friday and it hasn’t made it to the bus depot-typical Scousers!) I stayed onboard to Wimbledon and headed for GTR Thameslink.

Winner 319455 arrived, which I boarded without knowing how far I was taking it. A 700 passed a couple of shacks down the line, which was annoying! I decided to go to West Sutton, but at the last minute bailed out at Sutton Common for a 13 minute wait. The next service was slightly delayed, and was unexpectedly formed of winner 377519-do 377s do Sutton loop work often? A PNB was had onboard and I bailed two stops down the line, Morden South. I knew the next servide was highly likely to be a 700 as it had 8 Coaches. Sure enough, winner 700023 arrived shortly after I did. I parjed myself in the Declassified First Class-which is both of them on Sutton loop services! Everyone else thought it was classifield despite announcements at stations saying FC may be used and it being on station PIS Screens! As such I had First Class to myself until the service ‘terminated’ at Sutton-where the driver took advantage of the 2/3 minute dwell for a PNB! I stayed onboard to Blackfriars-wow that was a stagger through South London! It gave me a good 45 minutes of phone charging time though so it wasn’t all bad.

I headed for the tube here which mainly featured S Stock bashing-starting off with winner 21368 to winner shack Temple. A short wait led me to winner 24401 to winner shack Embankment, where I started crossing out the shacks I’d had on a map. As I was doing this, winner 21536 arrived, which I had until Westminster. While I was here, a freight train came through carrying what looked like ballast and rubble-presumably from the closure of the Circle line through Kings Cross. Interestingly, this showed as an Ealing Broadway service, which dissappeared after it had passed through! That meant I was sat at Westminster for 5 minutes! The next service, winner 21541, took me to winner St. James’ Park (or was that St. James Park? Or even St. James’s Park?). I had decided I wanted Knightsbridge, so kept going towards Gloucester Road to change to the Picc (after taking winner 21364 to Sloane Square of course!). From Sloane Square, I would have winner 21473 to Gloucester Road before a quick supply raid, a PNB and changing to the Piccadilly, which unusually was actually working! Double duds (GRR!!) 195+192 took me the two stops to Knightsbridge. My plan was to head back to South Ken and Circle line to Victoria, however the next Southbound Picc was in 4 minutes. As such, as time was not on my side , I continued to Green Park on winners 143+891. After a very long walk, I boarded double duds 11083+11084 to Victoria. This was where it got interesting...

I came out of the wrong exit of Victoria tube station, which was OK as fresh air (albeit polluted as the announcements as platform level telling people to walk, cycle or use public transport were saying-let that sink in for a moment!) Was appreciated. What wasn’t appreciated however was the complete non existence of signage to Victoria Coach Station! Having to use Google Maps in Central London to a major transport hub is because of a complete lack of signage is NOT acceptable! I found it eventually and noted my coach, the M15 to Manchester was departing from stand 13, as last week.

The coach (winner 50241) was much busier than last week though, but a window seat (with working plug) was sourced upstairs. I did get wedged in eventually unfortunately, but the gent that sat next to me was a really nice, friendly guy (especially for a Londoner:D) and I happily let him share my 4 way USB plug. We had a good conversation all the way to Manchester (where both of us were travelling to). Arrival into Shudehill was about 5 early-the bus journey was sooo much better than last Saturday’s that’s for sure! (And the same bargain £1 fare). I did find out en route, after noting the 19:50 Brum-Shrewsbury vomit comet leaving New Street at 21:05, that the train I was looking at catching home had left Euston 50 late, and eventually got to Manchester 100 late. That was annoying for sure! All in all it was a good day though.

Ching: £7.95 in Rail Fares; £8.10 Travelcard; £1 Megabus
Winner Shacks(inc. LUL):31
Winners:26 Heavy Rail, 5 trams, 10 LU

Dhassell

Ching: £7.95 in Rail Fares; £8.10 Travelcard; £1 Megabus

Not bad for the north to London! Bargain if you ask me, couldn't stand the megabus myself though!!
Sounds like you had a good day! I look forward to your next :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that was a good day in London!

Good to know FC is still declassified on the Sutton Loop, I must note that for when I finish clearing the shacks on that line.

Not as many 377s on that line as there was once, due to the 700s coming in, but I would love to have a 319 around it again. Quite the stagger as you point out though!

Established Member
The next bash I'll be doing a report for is this Friday. I think Kite159 knows where I'm going-but I won't spoil the surprise for everyone else!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm pretty sure I know where you're going too.

Another excellent read there - I notice that I wasn't the only person getting 465243 and 023 on Saturday. Shame you messed up your plans rather well too.

Finally, haven't you learned not to leave belongings on a transport service heading to Liverpool? ;)

Established Member
FQ - many people seem to have got 465023 & 465243 on Saturday.
I did as well!

185143 - a couple of great reads, I look forward to more.
As mentioned above, I too was out on the Hayes line, I had many of the same units you did.
The same can be said of the trams :)
If you thought Saturday was cold you should have been there on Thursday and Friday - Saturday was positively balmy by comparison.

Established Member
The wee adventure-17/02/17

I awoke much later than my planned alarm, at around 05:30. This meant no time for breakfast, which was inconvenient. I did take a bowl of cereal out though, with Dad driving to Warrington Bank Quay. Much of the journey was spent being concerned about missing the train, which thankfully didn’t happen. I unexpectedly met 2 friends (both veg) on the platform who would make the journey ermm... Interesting!

We all boarded dud 221115 for the 3 hour journey to Glasgow. I initially took a seat in Coach A, for some peace-but eventually decided to move to Coach D, where my friends were after learning how empty it actually was. I got my tablet out and started working on my Rail Miles spreadsheet, with a drink sourced from the onboard shop on the way. One of my friends offers me some adult beverages for some festering later, I accept these and put them in my bag. He also offers to refill my half empty drink bottle-albeit with vodka... (told you it got interesting!) As such, I ended up consuming quite a few adult beverages-as such, to say my memories of that journey are quite limited, is quite the understatement! It made 3 hours on a voyager feel like a breeze, and flew by! Therefore it wasn’t all bad!

Arrival into Glasgow err... happened. Getting off the vomiter was much easier than expected, and I joined the ticket office queue to buy my ticket-an Off Peak Return to Stranraer. My friends decided to join me in heading to Stranraer-After a wee supply raid, we all headed for the Ayr express 380 service, formed of dud 380102. I was surprised that these services were first stop Kilwinning, so we settled in, making use of plugs and free WiFi on this service. Arrival into Ayr was RT, with a short connection onto dud (Again-GRR!) 156431 to winner shack Maybole. Maybole is quite a basic single platform shack, as such we had a reasonably short (by some standards!) 60 minute connection here.

After more beverages, winner 156513 arrived to take us down to Stranraer-and back to Barrhil. The last of the drinks were now gone-the journey down to Stranraer was very pleasant, with my visit to the facility where I opened the door and full-on fell onto the bog being quite amusing to the three of us! (I needn’t explain why this happened do I?:)) Anyhow, we reached Stranraer on time. We remained onboard the same unit, after alighting for a phot and to use the station facilities.

There were a handful of passengers onboard for the journey down to Stranraer, and slightly more for the return journey. I didn’t realise just how far Barrhill to Stranraer actually was, with the journey taking a little over 30 minutes. I had been warned by Kite159 of the remoteness of Barrhill. We had a near 2 hour fester here, most of which was spent watching another episode of The Grand Tour on my tablet and eating my lunch. Despite this however, the fester seemed quite long, despite having done much longer festers in the past. Winner 156506, which had been refurbed with a new DDA bog and Saltaire seat covers. The short trip to Girvan was quite enjoyable, mainly as it started raining pretty much as soon as we boarded!

When we arrived at Girvan, my friends went off into the town for a supply raid, however I couldn’t be bothered so remained on the station. The 55 minute wait went really quickly actually, and it felt like no time at all until dud 156431 returned to take us all the way back to winner shack Kilmarnock. It went dark during this journey, and it was en route to Kilmarnock that we learnt that there may be disruption to our journey home due to a fatality at Wigan. This had caused the cancellation of the northbound train that would form our train home, the 20:10 Crewe service! We were however assured by Virgin Trains’ excellent twitter team that our train would be running ok. On arrival into Kilmarnock, and after reminiscing my last trip here-bailing out of 221142 for a phot on a diverted service during the Lamington closure on my way to Thurso!
Station scored, we boarded winner 156465 one shack up the line to Kilmaurs. The guard of this service decided to kindly scrawl the date across my ticket (as it was an open return) in a permanent marker, to the extent that it was barely legible! We bailed out at Kilmaurs for a 30 minute fester, noting a double winner 156 heading towards Carlisle. Winner 156435 arrived for a short trip to Stewarton, a dud shack for my friends, but it reduced the fester at Glasgow Central so we all agreed to still bail anyway.

Whilst at Stewarton, I received a text from a friend saying he would be meeting us at Glasgow Central. Winner 156436 arrived to take into Glasgow, where we met my friend. He decided to joke and tell us our train home was cancelled-unaware of the disruption. We went around the corner to the departure boards and saw the train was ‘delayed’. I was assured that the train would only be about 15 minutes late-as such, I had time for a bag of chips and a deep fried mars bar from the blue lagoon, which to quote one of the staff in the First Class lounge on a previous visit, ‘It’s burnt down a couple of times but it’s alright!’. Dud 390134 arrived at 20:10 to work the 20:10 Crewe service. After one of the quickest turnarounds I’ve ever seen on an intercity service during disruption, we left 9 minutes late. Upon boarding, I realised I’d lost my phone charger at some point during the day, in the drink filled haze of the day that I can’t remember too. I borrowed a plug from one of my friends and charged my phone.

At Carstairs, we learnt that the 20:14 Edinburgh to Manchester Airport had been let out in front of us. This was bad news for my friends as they were going back to Manchester. Despite the TMs best efforts, they refused to hold the train. That was until we arrived into the platform opposite it at Preston, and the pendo did get let out in front. All in all, it was a great day with a fair few more difficult shacks ticked off!

Winners:
9 shacks
5 units

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Drinking, heavily at that, at your age? Tut tut! ;) :lol: How you kept going through the day I don't know! You've reminded me I need to stock up on supplies for a long Voyager journey later this year, mine will be far longer than yours though!

Way too much with the long festering there, two hours at Barrhill must have been more than challenging! Me and Blindtraveller had less time there than you but even with good company it's an endurance. Gave me time to sort my bag out though!

Established Member
My friends are a bit less responsible than I! Looking back at what I can remember, I'm not too sure how I kept going to be honest! Barrhill was about the point I sobered up too which didn't help :)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
3 hours on a 221 doing good speed isn't as bad as 3 hours on a XC 220 from Basingstoke towards Manchester [which I might have that pleasure in May time] :P

2 hours at Barrhill is 119 minutes more than I had there as I used the Sunday services which pass there :lol:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Has the legal drinking age gone down then? ;) Naughty ;)

Sounds like a good day was had, except your ride to Glasgow. I think you know what I think of it.

Established Member

Sounds like a good day was had, except your ride to Glasgow. I think you know what I think of it.

Well I've no idea what I thought of it!:D
A good day was indeed had.

Kite, I've done MAN-SOU and back on 220s. Never. EVER. Again!

cactustwirly

Established Member

Technically it's age 3 I believe? You only have to be 18 when purchasing alcohol

Sounds like a good trip bar the long festers.

Established Member
Storm Doris PEP Bash

I know I said I wasn’t doing reports from small bashes like saveaways but I am for this one.

I had booked advances (yes, I’m THAT tight!) Into Liverpool for a Saveaway on Thursday. My outward advance was booked on the 08:40 from Birchwood into Liverpool-same move as Tuesday, however a TPE 185 rolled in about 5 minutes after mine, which I boarded after asking the guard very nicely. (I wouldn’t normally make it obvious I’d done that, as you never know who’s reading and all that, but I was unaware at the time Northern had said passengers could use other TOCs).

I boarded double duds 185106+185125 and took advantage of a plug socket for the trip to Liverpool which takes just over 30 minutes. I said hi to a guard I know working the following Scarborough service and went to source my Saveaway. For anyone who doesn’t know, an all area saveaway for anyone under 19 is only £2.70! Noting the xx:32 departures to Pieland (Wigan) had been cancelled all day, I asked if I could take the 09:28 to St. Helens, to which the reply was a rather firm, but not impolite ‘No’. Poor service there Northern if you’re reading-potentially needlessly delaying people...

As such, I decided to head for the PEPs. Looking outside into the scouse empire, the weather was grim. As such, I decided to head for South Parkway to join Merseyrail there-the loop line is out of action until summer. I boarded dud 350245 on the 09:34 New Street service, which the guard promised would ‘arrive into New Street at 11:18-with a bit of luck’. It lost 2 hours between Runcorn and Hartford and arrived 123L... I alighted on time, taking care to use the handrails to avoid being blown down the platform. I headed to Merseyrail via MtoGo for a drink-which I’d soon regret...

All Southport services were showing ‘delayed’. I boarded (eventually) a Hunts Cross service, which called itself the 09:57 running 11 late. It was actually the 09:42 service, which had been delayed by multiple TSRs and signal failures between Liverpool Central and South Parkway in particular. There was another signal failure between South Parkway and Hunts Cross, which cost us another 5 minutes, making the service terminate 31 late (yippee!). I stayed on the PEP (507009) for the return service towards Liverpool. Obviously we had to stop at the failed peg (the peg protecting the main line where the PEPs briefly join it). We stopped, waited for a bit, then set off. As the train lurched onto the main line, the emergency brakes kicked in. It doesn’t take much to realise what I was thinking the problem was...but I was wrong thankfully. We were at a stand due to a technical problem-which turned out to be debris stuck in the contact shoe. That obviously required an isolation of the third rail to remove, which added another 25 minutes onto our delay in total. As a result of the TSRs between South Parkway and Aigburth, arrival into Liverpool was nearly an hour late. I stayed onboard to Southport however, where the train arrived into the bay platform (winner track!) A whopping 66 minutes late-my longest ever delay on Merseyrail, and longest delay of the year so far.

Due to the amount of time spent on 507009, I was rather unwilling to remain onboard the same PEP back to Liverpool, and I was in dire need of a PNB, so I alighted and used the station facility-via Poundland of course! After finishing what needed to be done, I boarded 508104 for the journey back to Liverpool on the following service. The guard warned passengers that it had gone ‘Tango Uniform’ earlier, and to expect a delay en route, however all was ok until the Bootle area. That said, we only lost 12 minutes between Bootle and Liverpool. I alighted at Central, where the train terminated-the Hunts Cross line had now been suspended altogether. I was now ‘all PEP’ed out’-to borrow that phrase from the friends I met with in Liverpool. I needed a break from the railway, so I sourced a Mega Box from KFC in St. Johns shopping centre for £3.99. I used a Scottish plastic £5 note to pay for this which was accepted without much fuss-after asking me if it was Irish...

The KFC meal was hellfire, and my friends messaged me to say they were now in Liverpool and meet on the platforms of Liverpool Central. I told them I’d be a while as I was eating KFC-which was no problem. Once I’d finished eating, I headed for Central and stood in a deep puddle so now had wet feet. I soon got a message from my friends saying they were outside KFC and where was I! I turned around, walking through the same puddle again of course, and went back to meet them.

Due to me being ‘PEP’ed out’, we decided that the city line was the place to go. We walked into a very busy Lime Street, and looked at the departure screens...and walked straight back out. Everything for the next 90 minutes was showing as ‘Cancelled’!

We therefore headed over to Central where the rainbow board was noted as showing completely red-major disruption for all routes.
Noting this, we boarded the first train to arrive-507031 working the 14:38 Southport service, which we ended up taking all the way to Southport (again!). The delay this time was about 60 minutes less than my previous journey, which was good! My friends went off for some food, whilst I stayed on the station charging my phone. Around an hour later, they returned and we boarded 508111, which is the Beatles Story liveried unit, and also happens to be an absolute BEAST! Sadly we alighted at Liverpool Central, as the Hunts Cross line had not resumed. MYLORDZ what a bash that was! Deciding that pacer action was required, and the 17:20 Liverpool-Kirkby being the connection for the Rainford service, we boarded it. 508108 provided a good run to Kirkby, although we arrived about 5 minutes late. After passing some of the ‘local yoof’ stood under the bridge smoking some very dubious smelling cigarettes, we noted the distinct lack of a unit in the Wigan bound platform. An announcement came telling us the service would be about 30 late, so we decided not to bother. We headed back to the 508 we’d just alighted but we were too late. Therefore I took advantage of the 15 minute wait for a PNB, and we boarded 507012 on the 17:58 Liverpool service, which we took all the way back to Central.

Upon arrival, we noticed the Hunts Cross line had resumed, so we decided to do it. To get an extra 1 mile 12 chains in the book, we stayed on 507012 back to Moorfields, and joined 508114 to Liverpool South Parkway. I’d decided, noting that the service hadn’t really recovered a great deal-trains were running to Manchester again, but very sporadically and unpredictably, that I should probably start considering heading home. Heading over to the city lines, a VSTP Oxford Road stopper was due in about 10 minutes, which I decided to board, after getting the OK from the guard-revenue and ticketing had been thrown out of the window, they were just concerned about getting everyone home. (not literally, the guard still had his loo roll holder-sorry new ticket machine). 142037 was providing the thrash home, I said goodbye to my friends at Hunts Cross and enjoyed the hellfire bouncy ride home!

All in all, it was a very enjoyable, but a surprisingly tiring day-given the unpredictability of it all. I didn’t get any winners-units or shacks, but given that I’ve cleared all of Northern England for shacks (bar one VERY irritating exception!) Then I wasn’t expecting shacks. Merseyrail is cleared for units, as is TPE. My main unit requirements in Merseyside are LM 350s, so I wasn’t expecting many units either!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Which is the shack you need up north then?

Way too much 507 and 508 bashing for my liking, how you didn't want to smack your head against a wall several times with all that time on the Southport line I don't know!

Established Member
Which is the shack you need up north then?

Way too much 507 and 508 bashing for my liking, how you didn't want to smack your head against a wall several times with all that time on the Southport line I don't know!

I'm afraid I love 507s and 508s! You'll be pleased to know i've just done Bootle New Strand-Southport-Hunts Cross-Ainsdale on 508130!

The shack I need is Berwick upon Tweed.

Status
Not open for further replies.