• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185143-Trip Publishing Expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Harsh :(

I will have a flick through my Flickr tomorrow to see if I have anything

This is when you should try and set up your new phone so your photos are automatically backed up to Google Photos over WiFi so at least if you do lose your phone it is saved elsewhere (also helps if you have multiple devices)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
‘If at first you don't succeed...’ 04/04/18

As the title suggests, I was setting out today to do something I should have already done. However ‘The Beast From the East’ had other ideas!

As such, using the RTV I received for that farce at Hubberts Bridge, I booked an advance home on Tuesday and my Lincolnshire Day Ranger. The transaction itself was interesting... the first ticket office I went to tried and tried, but couldn't manipulate the system to get it to produce what NRE was offering. And when there's a £25 difference, that's a problem! I headed to Stockport, and after being told for certain that the £5.35 advance fare was a mistake, and they wouldn't sell a ticket so cheap for a 3.5 hour journey, I soon had the tickets in my hand-much to the disbelief of the ticket seller! (Just because you work for Virgin... not everyone's as greedy as Beardy!)

Anyway, stupid o' clock came about far too quickly and I set off walking to the station. No snow this time, which was a start! The 06:08 was this morning formed of 150228+142060, and was busier than expected for a 4 car service at 6AM! Plenty of seats available-but it certainly wasn't the ‘which bit of the train should I have today' I've experienced in the past. Arrival into Manchester was a minute or two late, but nothing that'd mean I wouldn't have time for breakfast thankfully! A Mega Melt was sourced and devoured whilst stood on platform 1 waiting for my train to Sheffield to arrive.

Yet again I found myself heading across the Valley of no Hope on a 150! BOO! ‘Refurbished’ 150275 was my chariot this morning. I suppose topping up the mileage was alright-I had it on a Kirkby-Rainford leap previously. Once I'd repaired my seat (some things just never change...) I tried to make myself comfy in the single seat by the RoboBog. The guard came through to check tickets, so my complimentary single got it's first check of the day. I'd clearly done a better job than I thought of getting comfy as I remember leaving Reddish North, then the next thing I knew, the guard was back asking for my ticket! He then realised he'd already seen it and apologised for waking me up as we approached Chinley. Still... better than the alternative method of train operation!

The rest of the journey was uneventful and we arrived into Sheffield on time. I was hoping for a 142 to Lincoln, but alas I got provided with 144008. The guard had to wake me at one point for my ticket, around Kiveton Bridge I think. I was dozing on and off most of the way to Lincoln, and the journey felt like it took AGES! I couldn't wait to bail out at Lincoln and get onto EMT. This is where things started to pick up! I boarded 153383 down to the required a shack of Metheringham. The train wasn't busy at all-the guard was soon along to check my ticket, he seemed to think about stamping it but correctly didn't. The journey to Metheringham took longer than I thought it would, however we arrived in just enough time for me to amble past a flooded building site, over the crossing and onto the Lincoln bound platform. My next shack to scratch was Ruskington. But given the choice between an hour at some random shack-or extra mileage, there's only ever one answer to that!

A busy 153381 took me back to Lincoln, the line of course looking a lot different from when I last used it due to the lack of snow this time! Arrival into Lincoln was on time, so I spent the 20 or so minute turnaround taking advantage of the city. I hoped to get a picture of a Stagecoach bus to Birchwood, however that'd have stopped me swinging by Heron Foods so I didn't bother waiting. I soon returned to 153381 for the trip south to Ruskington. A note to anyone-don't attempt a tight connection here, the route between platforms is rather excessive to say the least! I'd therefore planned for a same direction 60 minute fester. However... the Northbound dogbox was late...

I proceeded to walk quickly up the ramp, over the roadbridge, all the way round a stupidly long fence, back through the car park and onto the platform just as a well loaded 153376 rolled in. I was to be on this dogbox for a long time, Ruskington-Spalding via Lincoln Central! I parked my rear at a table seat infront of two girls complaining how expensive fares in the South East, in particular on SWR are. They seemed to make good points really, but comparing fares to/from the Travelcard zones with fares on a rural Lincolnshire dogbox is always going to be a non starter!

The turnaround on this service was much less, just over 10 minutes. I was comfy in my table seat, and couldn't be bothered getting off. So I didn't! I was starting to feel like a yo-yo having called at Metheringham 5 times in 2 and a bit hours! I was surprised at how far apart the stations on this line actually are, the dogbox seems to go forever. I hadn't noticed last time just how much the line turns to the left on approach to Sleaford... we seemed to be going left for ages! I also noticed the guard failed to mention Nottingham as somewhere to change for, which I thought was unusual. Quite a large amount of the passengers onboard alighted, many seemed to be heading for Skegness. I became sleepy again between Sleaford and Spalding, but managed to stay awake thankfully. I've not worked out how much extra mileage I scooped in with the double backs to Lincoln-but one thing for sure, if I have to pay £18.70 for a day ranger (with railcard discount) I'm doing as much as I can to get something that at least closely resembles getting my money's worth! I suspect it was a fair bit extra anyhow.

At Spalding, something I totally wasn't ready for happened. I saw a dogbox approaching! I had expected an hour here-so I ran over to board 153381 back to Spalding. It was the same guard I had before, we spent much of the journey chatting really. He mentioned he didn't like working 153321 as he was the guard working it when it sat down just after Market Rasen a few weeks back-and didn't get back to Lincoln until 02:15... ouch. Can't have been fun. (If you're reading, say hi!) I was now an hour ahead of my plan, so I had to hastily rethink. The only real option was to head to SkegVegas an hour earlier. Go ed then! I've spent long enough trying to get there...

After a long 25 minute wait, which involved me getting kicked out of the waiting room as soon as I found a plug in it! Closing time... I boarded 158799. A refurb unit would have been nice for a USB socket but ah well. Sleaford and Heckington were 2 shacks I’d lost pictures of so I managed to rectify that. Boston is still ‘required’ but I’ve not finished the line yet so I'm not too worried about that... (it's the OTHER two I've lost that are a ball ache!) the train began to slow on approach to Hubberts Bridge. I soon began to wonder if this was some kind of sick joke-but then I remembered that the single line starts there, which explained it. We rattled on to Boston no problem, and continued on towards Skegness. Surprisingly the track has been welded beyond Boston, which was a disappointment to say the least! The river looked very high, which I mentally noted as a potential farce later on.

I noted Thorpe Culvert as we passed as being in the ‘arse end of nowhere' category, along with Havenhouse International. But... I made it to SkegVegas! Somewhere I've wanted to visit for a long time, and I finally made it! Not sure what fills the gap of ‘I've wanted to do X for ages but not got round to it yet' and/or ‘I've always wanted to go to X'

I set off wandering to the seafront, being surprised at how busy the town was. I arrived at an arcade, which passed half a hour or so like a treat! My next call was Mcdonalds to redeem my monopoly stickers I won in Manchester the day before, went in for a drink and came out with a free meal and free mcflurry. Not bad! A Chicken Legend meal was the order of the day due to it being the most expensive thing on the menu (of course). I finished my scran and returned to the station, arriving uncomfortably close to the departure time of the 16:11 to Nottingham. However that was not my destination.

I took a table seat on this rather empty 156498 (surprisingly) then remembered I was bailing in 5 minutes! The weirdest thing was... I wasn't the only passenger to alight! I camped out in the surprisingly decent waiting room on the Nottingham platform for a while before heading out for phots and to await the Skegness train. The 90-ish minute fester passed quite quickly, thanks to the games on the trusty tablet.

I saw the 156 approaching and yelled a LOT of obscenities at my stalker, 156470. I mean... I've (after winning on either an Occy Road leap, Stockport leap or a South Parkway leap-not sure off hand) boarded it at Elton & Orston, Swineshead and now Havenhouse, and alighted it at Netherfield...

But the best was still to come! The driver lowered his cab window to see what was going on, if only I'd had my camera out when the guard opened the local door! The look of utter shock on the traincrew's faces was very genuine! The driver apparently shouted to the guard that he thought he was seeing things-and the guard, who had been working trains to Skeg for 5 years, said I was his first ever Havenhouse passenger! This is approaching Sugar Loaf royalty... I should add at this point that if I had most people's rules (that is, counting any station that I have boarded/alighted at-picture or not), then Havenhouse would be the point I'd be saying ‘Shack 1500, tick!’ I hadn't planned that at all! Why would I-that measure is meaningless to me really...

Arriving into Skegness I was kicked off the train and into the holding pen/concourse for 10 minutes before being allowed to re-board 156470 for the arse numbing journey back to Nottingham. The ‘uggh how much longer??’ point was reached at Boston. Great... I know it's a lot further to Nottingham. Next thing I knew though, I woke up stopped at a station I didn't recognise. I'd have said it was Donny initially though that was impossible. It took longer than I'd like to admit to work out I was at Grantham... the rest of the trip back to Nottingham was slow and dull really-it was virtually dark now, and we stopped at every stop except Elton & Orston.

My chariot to Sheffield was Northern's 158903 on tonight's ‘Magical Mystery Tour' via Derbados and Beighton. Yet we still had someone on wanting Alfreton... about halfway to Derby I learnt of a fatality at Dronfield. Not thinking that we were booked via Beighton anyway, I became rapidly concerned for my connection! We had a very slow approach into Sheffield, arriving about 7 late. The TPE service ex Cleethorpes was late too, so the connection was made. Unrefurbished 185121 provided the thrash across the Pennines, a table seat being sourced easily. I wasn't too sure what to make of the drunk(ish) bloke who addressed me as ‘alright love' though...

My phone appreciated a charge (not that I yet realised just how handy that charge would be...) for the ride back to Manchester, where we'd made up 6 of our 9 minutes of delay. Not bad! I had however missed the last train back to Birchwood. It's not a valid connection, but it's usually made. I therefore had to catch the stopper from Occy Road. 158822 being my booked service to Occy Road first though, with me failing to sit in my reserved seat unsurprisingly. Annoyingly, tonight was one of those nights where the last train is the type with rubber wheels and departs from outside the Cornerhouse.

The coach had few seats spare upon leaving Deansgate, I was surprised at some of the journeys being done-quite a few were heading to Widnes in particular. As we left Deansgate and headed down Chester Road, we pulled into a bus stop and it soon became apparent we had a problem. Turned out the driver had been given quite poor instructions, and didn't know where she was going. Someone offered to navigate, which solved the problem. The issue was that she just had the postcodes, a brief description of the pick up point and a departure time. As some will know, the stations at the East end of the Cheshire lines route are very close together indeed-and the quickest way between them involves doubling back on yourself. Not easy in a coach! We got to Urmston and the navigator got off, I volunteered to take over. The bloke I sat next to, until he moved to allow a Second navigator to join (as he knew a shortcut between Irlam and Glazebrook) mentioned he'd travelled from Louth, so I wasn't the only one from that part of the world onboard! The schedule was... rather generous. Every stop we reached, we were early. A few people were wanting to make an early/late exit, which the driver obliged when it was safe. I know they're probably not meant to-but as the driver said, we're inconvenienced enough being on a coach-so if something will massively help people, and it's safe, then fair enough.

I was also someone who bailed early, I was dropped off at the end of my road, which saved me a 25 minute walk back from the station. The timetable on NRE-and therefore the itinerary I'd agreed with the TOCs when I booked my advance showed the bus taking 16 minutes. I thought that was optimistic, as the stopping train takes double that time-however I've done Birchwood to Piccadilly on a non stop TPE rail rep in 20 minutes before, and I never checked the details of tonight's rail rep.

However I alighted at 00:57... which is an hour and 14 minutes after I should have arrived at Birchwood station! (I bailed before the station-the coach was still pretty full). Does anyone know how Northern treat ranger tickets for delay repay purposes? Some TOCs seem to treat refund them in full, whilst others treat them as returns. I've only ever gone for the free singles with Northern-but if I'll get the full cost of my tickets (around £25) refunded then I'll opt for cash. However if I'll only get £14-odd, then the decision is a bit harder...

I realised at this point that the journey from Havenhouse back to my house had taken my nearly 7 hours... Wow. That's... wow. I can get back from INVERNESS in less time! I was more than ready for bed at the end of a long day!

Summary:
Shacks:5 (+2 reclaimed)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ah Havenhouse, middle of nowhere is about right.

Enjoy your trip to the Premier Lincolnshire seaside resort?

Established Member
Ah Havenhouse, middle of nowhere is about right.

Enjoy your trip to the Premier Lincolnshire seaside resort?
I sure did!

Put some trams in and it's giving Blackpool a run for it's money!

Established Member
Skeggie's wonderful - if you go there with class 20s, spend all day in the pub, and get some more winning 20s on the way back out!
Haha yes, I can well imagine!

That's a bit before my time though sadly...

Established Member
A Mega Day in London-21st April

I'd had this booked for a while, and was looking forward to my first London trip of the year-and the day had finally arrived! I headed to Runcorn station, picked up my travelcard and boarded a lightly loaded 390045 to London Euston. A fair few passengers got off at Runcorn, mainly young girls who were clearly quite drunk returning from a night out in Liverpool...

I didn't like my seat so sat at an unreserved table. The Train Manager appeared quickly and approved of my RMT badge, commenting (just like that, like it was nothing significant at all) that he'd saved someone’s life the day before. Wow. Apparently someone had knocked on his office door and said he was struggling to breathe, and was having a massive heart attack.

I had a rough plan-but got out my ‘London and the South East' network map to work out something properly. We made good progress towards London, and I’m certain it was the first time I'd stopped at Watford on a Virgin service. They've changed the announcement in the bogs to something a bit less ridiculous now thankfully! Arrival into Euston was on time and I headed down t'Underground.

I was simply going to board whichever Southbound train arrived first, double winners 51517+51525 taking the prize. I bailed off at London Bridge to head to the Jubilee line, which I intended to clear to start off with. I started with winners 96092+96045 to Southwark, then quickly back to Bermondsey on winners 96041+96012. Nothing really interesting happened, apart from a couple of trains being turned at Canning Town (I think) so I'll just list the moves:
96486+96505 Bermondsey-Canada Water
96484+96425 Canada Water-Canary Wharf
96115+96480 Canary Wharf-North Greenwich
96089+96010 North Greenwich-Canning Town
96019+96506 Canning Town-West Ham
96037+96464 West Ham-Stratford

All were winner trains except 96425, 96115 and 96480, as were the shacks except Stratford. It had reached the point where I hoped it wouldn't get any warmer by around now, so my first point of call was the shop for a cold drink. I had come to Stratford for the DLR, clearing my Jubilee line shack requirements on the way. Anyone would think I'd subconsciously planned that back in December...

I was determined to get a Crossrail 345, so headed up to platform 8. A couple of PEPs departed for Shenfield (mmm....) and the next Liverpool Street train was not for 6 minutes. Which in the non-London world is a gift! I didn't want to wait, so I headed to the Central line for a fill in move. Quadruple winners 92045+92222+92072+92263 were taken to the required shack Bethnal Green. I just missed a train back to Stratford, which meant I’d have to wait for a TfL Rail train. Triple winners 92307+92132+92086 and an unidentified unit on the back took me back to Stratford. I was told by the TfL Rail platform staff a 345 had just left for Shenfield, but was assured there were several in service. The next Liverpool Street service was formed of 345011! I boarded and sat in an empty bay of 4 for the short hop back to the city. First impressions were very positive, the seats didn't seem nearly as bad as I'd been lead to expect, and the air con worked a treat! Liverpool Street was technically a required shack due to never managing to find a shack sign, an issue that was quickly resolved before boarding winner 321447 back to Stratford. I was struggling to comprehend just how much I'd done-I'd not even been in London for 2 hours!

I forced myself not to be distracted and finally went to the DLR. Winners 91+45+11 were taken to Abbey Road on a busy Beckton service. I just missed a train back to Stratford, but winners 59+76 rolled in which I took on a linear hop to Stratford High Street. Another short fester saw me board triple winners 78+10+81 to Stratford International. I'd deliberately sat at the back hoping that it'd be the same train on the way back, which it was. However the real treat came on departure from Stratford International when the onboard staff member opened up the control panel and drove the train! I was sat across the aisle from the driver-they should charge extra for that! I bailed at Star Lane just as triple winners 110+06+142 were rolling in and went back to West Ham. I was soon heading to West Silvertown, for the sole reason that the next southbound train to arrive at West Ham was the Woolwich Arsenal service. Another short fester later, winners 12+83 rolled in which I boarded to London City Airport.

I decided to try and be clever and double back, so I boarded double winners 137+109 back to Pontoon Dock. This backfired as I missed the Southbound train. Damn! I was getting a bit bored of the DLR now, and fancied heading onto SouthEastern metals at Woolwich Arsenal, so I started to formulate a plan as I boarded winner 13+dud 65 to King George V. As is the way in these parts, I wasn't hanging about long before winners 62+82 arrived to take me under the Thames to Woolwich Arsenal. I would have had a PNB was had in the 10 minutes or so I had before boarding winner 465042 to Westcombe Park, however I couldn't find a facility at WWA. The train wasn't very busy, and was surprisingly cool given the weather outside! Those air vents work a treat!

At Westcombe Park, the PIS showed the service I was waiting for as having 5 coaches. This meant one thing-I was finally getting a 376. I needed this train to stick to time, as I was intending to make a +2 connection at Woolwich Dockyard. I'd been told that the 376 interior is a tad basic-but I wasn't prepared for how poor it really is, and the seats are appalling! The only thing better about a 376 than a Networker is the seats are 2+2. People say the Merseyrail stock is tatty inside, but it's nothing like as poor as that 376 was. Anyway, the driver put his foot down and I had no issue at all catching 465906 to Charlton. I was bailing at Charlton as there was a faster train right behind us, so an easy shack scratch and nice way to red pen an extra unit. I was only waiting for around 3 minutes until double winners 465189+465930 arrived on the Charing Cross service, which were quite well loaded. A quick look at RTT showed I could bail at Blackheath and again pick up a unit right behind, so I did. Sadly I forgot to identify the 465 I then boarded and travelled to Lewisham on.

Why Lewisham? Simple. Back to the DLR I go! Once I found the station, I walked straight onto winners 107+147 to Deptford Bridge. Once again I'd tried to double back, and once again I hadn't learnt my lesson! I caught winners 75+35+97, and was very surprised to witness a ticket check onboard as I bailed at Elverson Road. As I'd just missed a Northbound train, I had to wait for the trio of units I'd just alighted to return from Lewisham. When they did, I boarded and went for Cutty Sark. I decided this was the point I was going to finish DLR bashing, and began to return to Lewisham. I boarded winners 138+116+119 for the short hop back to a sweltering Greenwich. A watched a pair of Networkers depart whilst waiting for the next Lewisham service, formed of winners 01+54+93. I returned to the National Rail station and tried not to melt on the platform, it was boiling out there today! Double winners 465002+465915 took me to Kidbrooke, and that was where my hastily made plan fell apart. I missed the tight connection I'd pencilled in, and couldn't get back on track, so I decided ‘sod this' and looked elsewhere. A 10 minute fester later, double winners 465035+465180 rolled in on a London Victoria service. I boarded a completely empty carriage and definitely didn't use any plug sockets onboard...

Had I been thinking about it, I should have alighted at Nunhead or Denmark Hill to scratch a shack, but I was too busy having scran and not charging my phone. As such I ended up at London Victoria, another technically required shack. Remembering to take my phone which had inexplicably gained about 40% battery since I boarded, I finally got a phot of the shack sign! I had one thing on my mind now, SWR 707s. Of course... that meant a trip on everyone's favourite TOC, GTR Southern! I noticed I could get on a Sutton service and bail at Battersea Park. Bonus shack! Required 455830 was a bit of a throwback to my last trip down south... ‘This train is the Southern Service...’ I was at Battersea Park for a matter of minutes, I also noticed that one on the platforms (Platform 1 I think?) Had no track! Soon enough I was on dud 455810 down to Clapham Junction, picking up a slight delay which the driver was very quick to apologise for-attributing to congestion.

My intention here was simple, wait for a 707. I predicted that the Hounslow loop was a good place to start, and the next ‘Hounslow' service was formed of 707022! The train was actually quite busy, and it was nice to be on a safe guard operated train again. I found a pair of seats, taking advantage of the plug socket between them for the 25 minute journey to St. Margarets. This was also my first journey on SWR, I'm quite keen on the 707s actually. They're intended for short distance metro work (unlike the 700s intended for Bedford-Brighton and Cambridge-Horsham and the like), and they do that well. I wonder where they'll end up when SWR ditch them? I had a bit over 5 minutes in the sun at St. Margarets, where I was hoping for another 707 back towards Waterloo. I got lucky there as 2 turned up! Lightly loaded double winners (obviously) 707011+707005 were taken back to North Sheen (return to Baldock anyone...?) for another quick connection onto 707021 to one of the District Line termini, Richmond.
After successfully negotiating my way through the stragglers, I was the last to board winner S7 21345 on an Upminster service. I needed to start heading back towards Zone 1 now, however not so quickly that I wasn't able to bail at Turnham Green for an Ealing Broadway service. Winner 21498 was taken up to Ealing Common, my non existent plan being torn apart due to congestion at Acton Town. After a quick supply raid in a shop that could soon be an Asda, I returned to the station and boarded Piccadilly Line 1973 stock 157+144 to Acton Town, which was also slowed down by the congestion. Due to that short delay, I'd barely got off the train by the time winners 864+112 arrived. I boarded this for the fast run to Hammersmith, which was a lot quicker than I expected! Hearing Julie Berry announcements was beginning to remind me of Merseyrail...

After a short hop to Barons Court on double duds 190+191, it was now S Stock time again, fresh dud 21498 taking me the 3 stops to South Kensington. I wasn't the only one to alight at Earls Court and stare at the ‘Next Train to London' indicator... I had planned to keep going from South Kensington, however I was ahead of my rough schedule, so a quick fill in move back to Gloucester Road on winner 21458 was the order of the day. There was a bit of a gap in the service, so my required chariot 21568 to Victoria was rather busy. Not that I minded standing for a few minutes, given I was heading home. There was a mass exodus at Victoria, and I was very glad to hear that GTR, like VTWC, have replaced the AWFUL announcer!

I managed to get lost on the way to the coach station, as seems traditional, but after a fairly lengthy hike to stand 19, I was soon aboard the Megabus. I was VERY disappointed to be on dud 54265! There were just 25 passengers onboard, and 4 no shows. The slog through Central London was quick-we reached the M1 in just 36 minutes. I fell asleep for about half an hour, and went for a PNB when I woke, or that was my plan. I felt the brakes go on quite sharply as I walked down the coach, and saw we were pulling into Newport Pagnall services. We were given a 20 minutes stop as we were early, which was appreciated. The rest of the journey was very smooth and pleasant, minus the farce of a driver change at Watford Gap. I mean, yes it took just shy of 5 hours, but I had very friendly station staff and drivers, a working plug socket and wifi. All for £1!

I had planned to get the 21:40 from Piccadilly, but could tell I wouldn't make it. I jumped on M5000 3053 to Piccadilly, before boarding a fairly busy refurbished 185133 back to Birchwood at the end of a very long, but very productive day.

Summary:
31 LU Winners
31 DLR Winners
16 NR Winners
13 Winner LU Shacks
14 Winner DLR Shacks
11 Winner NR Shacks

Established Member
You're not wrong that a day in London feels a lot longer than a day anywhere else. A good London bash is always a fun trip to do though!

:lol:
Aye, I was only in London (from alighting the Pendo to boarding the coach) for 8.5 hours. And look how much I did!

Established Member
The East Midlands Explorer-28/05/18

Hello! Me again... been a while since I've last done a trip report, for which there are several reasons. To fill in, (I won't be doing reports for these days) I did a Northern(ish...) Family and Friends day ranger and managed to get up to Newcastle, many ‘Spoons, miss the last S&C train from Carlisle, get an endorsement for a Pendo to Wigan then Blackpool and back on a refurb 185. I also cleared the Heart of Wales line shacks on the first bank holiday Monday, including a bit of a farce where the traincrew didn't realise I genuinely wanted off at Sugar Loaf! (Not that it mattered as I've been there before). I also received some excellent news about a job I'd applied for (and have started training now having passed assessments and the like, which is all going well!) I also had a very boozy and thrashy day behind 37109 at the ELR before returning home on the last ever TPE service via Cheshire Lines (Don't get me started...).

And on to today! The plan was simple, and one I'd wanted to do for quite a while now. I filled in my free Northern Return ticket voucher and boarded the 06:43 Manchester Airport service. 156483+156475 were my chariots to Manchester, I'd just sat down when a member of staff I knew sat further down the train shouted me, so I moved to the ‘Guards travelling PASS' table and had a catch up. The journey went quickly, which was good as I had a 2 minute connection at Occy Road! After almost falling over when the driver missed his Vigilance alarm and ground to a halt, we arrived on time so I hot footed over to platform 2 to board 185145+185142 round to Victoria. Aye, cheating I know... this was about the 6th time I've been round the Ordsall Chord in this direction, but I've still never done it southbound!

A 10 minute connection was had here, however we left around 7 late due to a farce with coupling to a pair of dogboxes. But eventually 155343+153316+153378 left Victoria towards the Calder Valley... and stopped. And shut down... that's my 11 minute connection at Leeds gone then! I'd forgotten how nice the Calder Valley route is! Maximum respect to both traincrew, they were NOT hanging around at stations, and after departing Bradford Interchange we were back on time! Therefore the interchange at Leeds was much less stressful than I'd expected, I had time for a supply raid and to get my tickets to continue beyond Nottingham. 158855 was my chariot down to Nottingham, this service having been on my ‘to do’ list for a while. It was lightly loaded departing Leeds, so the guard soon reached my table near the front of the train. She was confused by my ticket, as she'd never seen one of the complimentary tickets before, so she took a good look at it. We picked up a lot of passengers at Barnsley (understandable...) and I got wedged out at my table. A mass exodus at Sheffield ensued, including a change of crew.

This service seems like a strange fit to the Northern franchise, it's a regional express, on a regional express train. In an ideal world, I suppose EMT should be running it. Nottingham is not ‘Northern’ in any way! I know Leeds isn't East Midlands, but they have to run to Leeds due to needing to maintain HSTs at Neville Hill. It felt more like a TPE service, just on an inferior train facility wise. Either way, it was a very pleasant journey indeed though I was ready to bail at Nottingham after 2 hours. That journey really didn't feel like the ‘Northern Fail' we've all come to know and loathe! (As an aside, I met a friend at Piccadilly on Thursday and Saturday evening. Thursday I had an awful journey, it took 4 hours to get home from Huddersfield to Birchwood thanks to Northern running just 3 trains in the Evening Peak... The first thing she said to me on Saturday-and this was after I'd just chugged up the M6 on a Megabus and done a Metrolink rail replacement-was that I looked so much better and less stressed!) I was glad I'd purchased my tickets as it was quite a hike to my next train, 222009 to Wellingborough.

Did I get a winner 222? Of course not! I made myself comfy in the composite/free wifi coach for the next hour or so, putting everything on charge. I was on winner track after Leicester too, which is fairly rare these days! I strongly echo the posters who say the MML is hugely underrated. It is. It's lovely! It also has the added novelty (more so if you're from oop nowf like me) of being a 2/3 track, non-electrified main line to London! Yes I know Bedford-St. Pancakes is wired... it just didn't feel like I was on a London service, it was lovely and quirky.

For some reason, I was expecting a short fester at Wellingborough so the +28 came as a bit of a shock! Plenty of time for a PNB and to melt on the platform then. Next stop: Corby. Corby is one of those shacks I've wanted to tick off for a while, for no apparent reason. A spot which has now been replaced by Carmarthen of all places... I was lucky and got required 222022 up to Corby, the ‘end of the line'. I didn't leave the station, but it had a bit of an ‘Is this it?’ feel to it. The 40 minute turnaround didn't half drag! My electronics batteries certainly appreciated it though, and I was soon back down the branch and I bailed at Kettering. I do love a day of hopping between winner shacks, on winner units and reading road signs to places I've never heard of! I had another 10 minutes or so here at Kettering, and the leaflet stand caught my eye. Sea Life Brighton is a bit optimistic, even when GTR are behaving! Certainly not a local attraction in Kettering.

Would my next move be a winner? Amazingly, yes! A standing room only and, IIRC, slightly delayed 222018 took me to Market Harborough. I soon fell in love with Market Harborough station. True, it's not the most glamorous station in the world, but for photography it's great! It was too soon when my next train arrived, and the allocators had finally sent a HST! Winner 43081+dud 43083 took me onto Leicester. I would have stayed on to Nottingham if it weren't for needing Loughborough, the +45 at Leicester wasn't too welcome mind! That was... until 43467+43468 rolled in. I was waiting to get a video, then I saw a member of staff approach with the same thought as me! Then a couple of spotters turned up too. No doubt the passengers on board were a bit confused! The newer livery looks even better in the flesh than on pictures! It looks fantastic. My train onto Loughborough was about 14 minutes late, the dispatcher confirmed that the Nottingham service would depart first, which was bad for me but what can you do eh. At least it was a winner, 222103. This was a short journey, and I was soon at my last required shack of the day waiting for the Sheffield service. However this too was also delayed and all my connections were going to go “Tango Unform”.

I boarded winner 222012 and hurried to the Train Manager, explained the situation and she let me stay on to Sheffield which helped massively and saved me 2 hours as I'd have been in Nottingham an hour. I managed to end up in a ‘panel' seat in a very warm carriage for the journey up to Sheffield, which took longer than I expected it would. I was soon saying goodbye to one of my favourite TOCs, however wasn't ready to go home yet. I rushed around Sheffield Station IDing units for about 40 minutes until the Hope Valley stopper. Nothing rolled up that was required, so I went to the stopper. An ex ATN 150... FLAGGED! After 40 minutes, a winner arrived-153380 on the Retford service. I bailed at Darnall, which was eventful. Anyone who knows the area can probably guess what's coming! There were a group of youths with bikes on the platform, it didn't feel right as soon as I alighted. The guard had to forcefully tell them to move away from the train a couple of times before she dispatched it. I set off down the ramp to look at the timetable boards outside. I'd just lost sight of the platform and I heard the unmistakable squeal of emergency brakes being applied. My first instinct was to turn round, and I see these youths charging down the ramp as fast as they could on their bikes so I dived to one side! They did later apologise for that though in fairness. I looked at the timetable and had about 25 minutes until the train back to Sheffield. Nothing else happened until about 10 minutes before departure when BTP turned up! They asked if I'd seen anything, I was mid way through starting to tell them before they noticed the youths further up the street along with the smell of illicit substances. Charming...

I was therefore rather glad to board 144017 back to Sheffield! I headed over to platform 7 for the Hope Valley stopper, another 150. Ugghhh! Departure time came and went. 150110 eventually left Sheffield 53 minutes late, with not to stop orders between Marple and Manchester Piccadilly. This saved just 5 minutes so seemed a little pointless. The train was absolutely rammed and boiling, with no mention of delay repay being mentioned either. I'd obviously missed my connection home from Piccadilly, but I saw something on platform 4 and had to do a double take: my last voyager! One very quick ticket purchase later, I was aboard 221140 down to Stockport. Score! After a very brief chat with a member of staff I know at Stockport, I boarded 390152 to head back to Piccadilly.

My last move was 156472+156464 on the 21:11 Liverpool service, slightly delayed due to a 185's batteries dying on a Middlesbrough service. I was glad to get home at the end of a long but very enjoyable and productive day! I should have my report from this Saturday up soon...

Summary:
Winner Shacks:4
Winner Units:6
Winner Locos:1

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least the new timetable has some benefits at the lower end of the MML with the connection between a Corby - London & a London - Nottingham being not so bad (pretty sure it was something like a +1 in the old timetable for some services).

Congrats on the new job and finally clearing the voyagers, and all those new ex-GWR units is giving you something local to hunt down again :)

cactustwirly

Established Member
The MML is indeed brilliant, especially on a non stop HST from Market Harborough!
I think it's my favourite intercity line.

Established Member
The Great Welsh Adventure-Part 1

Been a while since I've done a trip report, been too busy with work really. Certainly still been busy though! My last bash was a trip up to Aberdeen, featuring a certain least used station... That trip nearly didn't happen due to some idiot driving to the station and leaving his advance tickets at home(!)

Anyway, onto this trip! I had 4 days off work, so decided to take advantage and go on a bash. However, I'd been on a week of night shifts. But I wasn't going to let that stop me! Once I'd booked off duty, I headed for the train home-formed of 150103 for the 20 minute journey. After dumping my work stuff, I'd intended to get some sleep. But with a combination of looking forward to my trip and getting more sleep the previous day than on previous nights, I couldn't sleep. Ah well. I'd been debating wether to start my journey from Warrington Bank Quay or Manchester Piccadilly, I eventually opted for the former.

My ride down to Crewe was formed of a well loaded 390044, and I certainly didn't Arrive Awesome after having to walk through 3 carriages with luggage trying to find a bog! I ended up stood by the door for the rest of the journey. I had 12 minutes at Crewe, so it was supply raid time. Far too much money was spent in WHSmith before crossing the footbridge over to platform 6. A busy 175007 rolled in, which meant I was standing for the first part of the journey as far as Shrewsbury. Quite a lot of people bailed at Shrewsbury, so I dived into the carriage and made myself at home at a table seat. I still had nearly 5 hours on this train! The service was well loaded as far as Cardiff, where there was a mass exodus. Many more passengers boarded the train, and after Bridgend I was on required track. I was rather bored by this point, and had almost ran out of supplies by this point. The scenery however, along the coast around Llanelli and Carmarthen was surprisingly pleasant. After Carmarthen, our final crew change, I requested Johnston.

Arrival was on time, so I headed up the path towards base camp. I was staying in the Windsor Hotel, a short walk from the station and £100 for 3 nights. Not too bad really. I had an hour or so until the hippo returned from Milford Haven, so I took my stuff up to my room before returning downstairs to the bar for a pint. I was chatting to the landlord before heading back to the station, via the chippy. Hippo 007 returned just before I'd finished my chips, I hopped aboard bound for Whitland. Clearly 253 miles on this hippo today were not enough for me...

I was heading to Whitland for one reason. Fishguard! As I alighted, the barriers stayed down to allow a Milford Haven train to pass. 150236. Yuck! I was very thankful I hadn't caught the 12:30 from Manchester! I had a bit of a wait as the Fishguard train was late, but 150258 eventually arrived. The service was lightly loaded so I took a table seat in the front coach. I struggled to stay awake on the remote, scenic journey to the Harbour, which was uneventful until leaving Fishguard & Goodwick when the engine in my coach suddenly shut down! We carried on to the Harbour, swift turnaround and back out with just the one engine. I was the only passenger onboard for the ride back to Clarbeston Road. Due to the delay, the signaller had let the Cardiff train out in front. I was not happy with that as I wanted to board it to Clunderwen! This meant I was a shack down already. Balls.

After what felt like quite a while, 150229 arrived on a Milford Haven service. I was going to bail at Johnston and go back to the hotel, but I decided to go to Milford Haven first. On departure from Milford Haven, I requested Johnston from the guard. He then advised me that he'd removed some abusive and aggressive youths on the way down as they'd refused to buy tickets. As I was the only passenger on the train, he asked me to use the local door-“That way, they aren't getting back on either!” I happily obliged of course! I stopped in the shop for supplies, mainly adult beverages for tomorrow, before heading back to the hotel. The barman had told his regulars about what I was doing, who were all intrigued. After a quick pint and chat about random stations, I headed upstairs to bed-for the first time in over 24 hours.

Was a decent first day really, a lot of required track had been covered along with 5 winner shacks. More to follow!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think Johnstone is a very long way from Clunderwen!

Indeed it is, a rogue E slipped in to turn the single platformed West Welsh Johnston with a 2-hourly service to the double platforms of the Scottish Johnstone with 4 trains an hour

Established Member
The Great Welsh Adventure-Part 2

I’d been concerned I might sleep through my alarm this morning, given my lack of sleep over the past 48 hours, however thankfully I managed to be awake before it. This was handy as, due to the Fishguard delay last night, I could catch the first train out of Johnston and visit Clunderwen. 175010 formed the first Manchester train, with me mentally questioning why the train was calling at Sandbach, Holmes Chapel and Alderley Edge. Then I remembered... (I wonder if the new lot will keep bailing Northern out on their endless strike days with additional calls?)

The guard came to check my rover, so I requested to alight at Clunderwen. The hour or so fester dragged somewhat, but eventually I flagged 175104 down. This service was busier than the last, but I managed to get a table seat and take in the impressive views across Carmarthen Bay. Another ticket check took place after our reversal and crew change at Carmarthen, with me again requesting to stop at Kidwelly. It looked like a long way to the opposite platform, so I was glad to find a same direction +15 connection! Kidwelly is a quiet, pleasant station-reminded me of Llangennech for some reason, so the wait was surprisingly enjoyable. I had yet another hippo for the next leg of my journey to Gowerton, a lightly loaded 175103. I took this service as far as Pembrey & Burry Port, where it started to rain... a supply raid was the order of the day so a quick stop in the Co-Op was made for a meal deal. Retiring to the shelter for the rest of the fester, I took a look at my plans for the next 2 days. Eventually, after what felt like a very long time, my next train arrived. 150258. Yes, THAT one I had the day before... late again too. I got a seat near the bog and waited for the extremely cheerful, friendly guard to make his way down the train. Was a nice change from a hippo I suppose. As I bailed at Gowerton, I commented that they were being brave trusting that heap on a Milford Haven-Manchester. He told me it was being swapped at Cardiff as there was an engine fault on it, as I knew all too well!

I didn't have too long to wait due to the delay, and I soon boarded a fairly busy 175008 back to Carmarthen. It was a good connection onto the Pembroke Dock branch, I had a hunch that quite a few of our passengers were headed that way. As I found on arrival at Carmarthen, I was right. We all marched round to platform 2 to board our dogbox. 153303 was my chariot down to Pembroke. The line is very scenic, with a fair bit of jointed track too. There was a mass exodus at Tenby, which I'd been warned to expect due to an event on the Sunday, but plenty of passengers boarded too. We stopped at pretty much every request stop, and a few random level crossings where the driver has to initiate the crossing sequence. It was a very good journey, and I alighted at Pembroke after an hour’s travelling. The fester here was just over an hour, which seemed excessive for the penultimate station on a 2 hourly branch line, but it's due to having to pass the other unit at Tenby. I therefore had time for a pint, which was spent in a rather small pub watching a rugby match. It was the wrong code of rugby for me though, but it passed the time adequately.

I returned to the station to find half of Pembroke waiting for the train! I opted to stand by the bog once I'd boarded, ensuring I'd requested to stop at Manorbier. A PNB was taken and I alighted onto the rain swept platform 10 minutes later. I parked myself inside the windowless (and therefore, due to the wind direction, useless) shelter to await the next train. Said train being the last ever HST to Pembroke Dock. I was informed by another forum member that the service had left Tenby a few minutes late, and had loads of veg onboard. As expected then! My HST soon arrived, 43158+43122 being my required locos for today. Felt rather strange being on a 2+7 HST on what was effectively (at this point) a local stopping service!

Everyone was kicked off at Pembroke Dock so they could clean the train, everyone pretty much had the same idea. Get phots and do a supply raid. I got some decent phots of the HST, respecting the boundaries-unlike several people who walked off the end of the platform into the 4 foot and/or onto the disused platform opposite(!) Then headed off to Tesco for supplies. Well stocked up on junk food and beer, I returned to the station. The train had been unlocked, and I initially took a seat in the second coach to tuck into my supplies. After departure, I got up to use the facility and noticed the window was available. I took the opportunity to window hang and get some pictures, which was brilliant fun-though quite sad knowing I'd never be able to do it down here again. The Train Manager had assured me that the train called at all stations on the return, request or not, so I didn't bother requesting Penally as I knew we were stopping anyway! I filmed the train leave, and was glad the weather was good as the station was quite exposed.

I opted to spend the fester stood on the platform, mainly as some of the “local yoof” were stood smoking in the shelter. Admittedly I did laugh when one of the lads dropped the lighter they were sharing and it smashed! The train soon arrived though, 150229 this time. I boarded and requested Lamphey, before going for the PNB I'd needed on the HST. Lamphey was station 1565/2565, meaning I had 1000 to go! (Yes, I know Corfe Castle technically counts now...) It started to rain during my fester here, but thankfully the shelter was somewhat more effective than the one back at Manorbier as I stayed fairly warm and dry. I had just over an hour here, but it passed quite quickly. I took advantage of the time to consume more of my supplies and work on my mileage spreadsheet, and before I knew it, 150229 returned to take me to Narberth.

I seem to recall reading on here that IETs won't fit down the Pembroke Dock branch. Is that the case-or is it just that the relavent paperwork hasn't been signed off? If so-I assume Narberth tunnel is the issue as it looks very tight and the track appears to be on quite a cant as well. I wasn't waiting too long before my next move arrived, 153303 again. The service was standing room only, though I was getting off at Kilgetty so didn't really care. Kilgetty was to be by far my longest fester of the day, 1 hour 40 minutes. I did a bit of research, both into why I recognised the station (turns out it was on one of the Police programs (Brit Cops I think) that Dave like repeating over and over, the Police were called to a train there.) And secondly into any eating establishments. Fish and chips were soon sourced, I returned to the station to eat them-washing it down with a beer or 2. The time passed surprisingly quickly, and I was back aboard a train before I knew it. This time it was 175104 on the way back from it's adventure to Manchester. Another bus stop move ensued, this time one stop back to Saundersfoot. I just had Tenby left on this line now, and that was on the cards for tomorrow.

It was only a short wait before 153303 returned, much emptier than when I'd last been onboard.It had gone dark now, and I was heading off the branch line. A table seat was sourced for the journey to Ferryside, remembering to request it of course! It felt like I was on this service for ages, but eventually the dogbox arrived into Ferryside where I alighted into the night-still covered in half of my can of beer which went over after a sudden jolt. Oh well! Ferryside felt like quite a big station to serve seemingly little, and reminded me of the quieter stations in Tayside for some reason. I'd noticed that this service back to Johnston seems to take a long time, this was due to a 20 minute dwell time at Carmarthen. Uggh...

175006 was my ride back to base camp, tiredness was really kicking in now so it was a struggle to stay awake. However I managed, taking advantage of the dwell at Carmarthen to snap a phot of the shack sign as I'd forgot earlier due to the tight connection. I alighted, without a warning of abusive and ticketless youths on the station and headed back to the hotel. A couple of pints were had before bed, whilst filling in the landlord and a couple of regulars (who'd been told of my quest and were intrigued!) On the days events. I had time for a much needed lie in tomorrow with it being a Sunday, which was much appreciated!

Summary:
14 winner shacks
2 winner locos

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least you picked a good station (Kilgetty) for a long fester, at least it had stuff nearby unlike some of the other stations on that line :)

Established Member
A day (or three) of “First”s-Part One 11/02/19
Hello! Not done a trip report for a while, mainly as I often can't be bothered to be honest. However this trip was one I certainly won't be forgetting in a hurry-for both the right and wrong reasons...

I’d finished my shift at work and headed up to Manchester Piccadilly’s platform 14 to catch my train home, but on hearing an announcement I deviated to Platform 13. Why? The 14:33 to Crewe (30+ late) was running non stop to Crewe. Hellfire! 323227 was rather empty as a result and managed the non stop run in just 34 minutes. It could easily have been quicker had we not caught a stopper between Slade Lane and Heald Green mind. I bailed at Crewe and headed over to Platform 11 in order to catch a train home, I got talking to a TPE driver who had been out on the 68s for the day before we both boarded 221106+221101 to Warrington Bank Quay. I'd decided to stop off in Poundland whilst heading over to Warrington Central, doing so caused me to miss my train as it left earlier than I thought it did. Balls.

After flagging the bus option, I joined 150134 for the short hop back to Birchwood. I had about 3 hours at home before returning to the station in order to catch 156427+150127 back to Piccadilly. I'd been looking forward to this trip for a while-and it was finally here! I was heading up to Inverness on the Caledonian Sleeper-for the first time EVER-and spending the day in the Highlands. I had originally planned to spend a few days up there, but my plans had to change. Ah well, I'd make what I could of it regardless. It felt strange bailing at Piccadilly at this time in the evening and not being on the way to a night shift really. I stopped off in Sainsbury's for supplies before joining the 21:36 Shrewsbury service as far as Crewe, formed of 175105. It was onboard this train I got a hint that something might not be right. The Highlander had not left Euston. I wasn't overly concerned, but had my +15 connection in mind for the first Kyle service.

When I bailed at Crewe, I noticed it was still “Delayed”. I spoke to a dispatcher who looked on TRUST and saw the train was still at Euston. She advised me to make myself known to the Team Leader on platform 6, and await further information. I just started making my way up the stairs when I received the gen on the situation. And it wasn't good. The Highlander had been cancelled, with passengers being told to make their way up to Scotland on the Lowlander and travel on ScotRail the following morning. Brilliant... that's my plan completely ruined. I debated not bothering, but chose to persevere. The Team Leader told me to join the Virgin service to Preston due imminently and board the Highlander there. 390130 took me to Preston, along with some liquid refreshment to drown my sorrows.

I received a call from Caledonian Sleeper Guest Services whilst onboard informing me of the cancellation and telling me to board the Lowlander at 03:45. That came with a lot of apologies! I had nearly 5 hours to kill (fun...) so decided to take 319378 out to Kirkham & Wesham as a fill in move, my first visit to the station since the extra platform was added. I joined a completely empty 150268 working the last service back to Preston and camped out in the waiting room. Needless to say, the fester wasn't exactly pleasant. A takeaway was ordered and a bit of sleep was achieved before the Lowlander eventually arrived. After joking to the cleaner who let me out of the waiting room that the seat I expected to spend the night in was onboard the train, I watched the Sleeper arrive. I later found out on this forum that required 92014 was hauling my train as far as Carstairs.

The Train Manager stepped out, I approached him and explained I was the passenger for Inverness. Yes, *the* passenger. Being the only person to board such a long train was rather odd! I was told my coach was at the very rear of the train, that two seats had been kept together for me and I'd be changing at Edinburgh. Most of the passengers were asleep as I gently wandered through the carriage to the aforementioned pair of seats. The seats seemed comfy, I managed to curl up across two seats and try to sleep. I remember seeing 1M16 pass, then found myself heading to Scotland via the Land of Nod...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite a bad start to the adventure! I never had such an issue on the Cally Insomnie when I used to use it regularly. That was back in First ScotRail days though, only used it a couple of times under the new lot.

I can't say I blame you with regards to not posting many trip reports, the community's been very quiet in recent months and I have noticed a few people have either stopped posting reports (the legend that is Keith Jarrett being the first name I've not seen in a long time, but I believe that's not necessarily through choice of not posting much), and ever since I lost my passion for the railway I obviously don't post much these days either. I prefer to explore the world!

I guess I'm lucky compared to a lot of people, I have WAY too much time to play with so writing reports is easy enough. Plus since I travel solo I have plenty of time to type them up as I go along. I realise this is not the case for a lot of people though. Frustratingly, while I have time to do trips I just don't have the money!

How do you find it on nights? I've been on the OOH crew for nearly 4 months here and I really don't like it. I'm moving back to days after next week, a bit less money on the average month (about £130 less I think) but less stress, a better team and I'll be able to go back to a healthy lifestyle again!

It still sounds weird to me to read about you drinking adult beverages, given last time I saw you was in Manchester I think, when you still were entitled to child fares! Anyway, why I brought it up was I'm curious as to what beverages you had to drown the sorrows of the epic delay. If it had been me I'd have probably popped to the shop and got a few cans of beer in!

Looking forward to more from you soon, I always enjoy your reports!

Established Member
Ouch.
A poor start, I hope things improved later.
The railway can be so frustrating!

Established Member
A day (or three) of “First”s-Part Two 12/02/19

Yawn.
Morning. We were now stopped for the split at Carstairs, which meant we weren't far from Edinburgh. We set off shortly after I woke, I opened the curtain to try and keep track of where we were. A member of staff came into the carriage speaking to passengers who had connections and informed us of platforms and times for these. This was the first time I'd travelled through Haymarket without stopping, and I alighted at Edinburgh a few minutes later. I had about an hour here, so took advantage of this time to get supplies for the rest of the day. As I wandered back into the station, I noticed an Inter7City Power Car on platform 19. This was listed as my train to Inverness!

I'd been dreading a rammed 170 droning it's way up to the Highlands, so the sight of an HST was more than welcome! 43012+43143 were doing the shoving this morning on the 08:33 to Inverness. The service was very lightly loaded departing Edinburgh, a Caledonian Sleeper staff member came round before departure to ensure everyone had made it onboard which was nice. This was my first HST north of Stirling, and my first ScotRail HST, so I was quite happy despite the circumstances. My plan for the shacks on the Kyle line had been well and truly torn apart mind, which was more than a bit annoying. The weather was rather “dreich” until arrival in Perth, where I was able to properly settle in for the scenic Highland Main Line. By that I of course mean the remains of the liquid refreshment I'd had in my bag since Manchester was consumed as it was now after 10AM.

I'd forgotten just how impressive the scenery is up here, particularly in the area just south of Kingussie. Once the trolley arrived, some more drink was purchased along with the truly fantastic fudge ScotRail offer onboard. On departure from Aviemore the Caledonian Sleeper staff again came round the train asking if sleeper passengers had any connections from Inverness. I was seriously impressed by the way we were being looked after, which gave a very good first impression of the onboard service. Around 8 of us had connections and we were told the Guest Lounge would be opened up for us to wait.

Arrival in Inverness was at 11:59, over 3 hours later than intended. This meant that the first two Kyle trains had already departed, the next service being at 13:35. The staff in the Guest Service Centre were expecting us, and had a supply of delay repay forms ready to fill out with us. The lounge is a small but rather impressive room with ample supply of hot drinks, crisps and Tunnocks Teacakes. I'd mentioned my situation-that it was my first ever trip on a sleeper, and that I'd been stuck at Preston for most of the night. It had also ruined my plans for the day, and I was booked to head back to London the same night on the sleeper. The staff told me to bear with them, and they'd see what they could do. I got talking to another passenger who travelled First Class fairly regularly, and agreed with me that the staff had been excellent-and that they always were. He'd travelled via Glasgow and joked that waking up in Motherwell didn't quite match the adverts of waking up in the rural Highlands. I commented that “Sleep on a bench in Preston, then wake up metres from Scotland's biggest Psychiatric Hospital” doesn't quite have the same ring to it either!

At this point the staff member returned and asked me to come out to the counter. They'd upgraded me to a berth for my Southbound journey “Really, it's the least we can do” and needed some details to cancel my seat and book it. I was the only person left in the GSC by this point, everyone else had gone off for food or returned to the station. We chatted for about 10 minutes before I had to leave, thanking them for going above and beyond to make up for my poor experience. I was now rather excited for the journey back down south!

Anyway, time to make what I could of this trip. My carriage awaited me, 158718, working the 13:35 to Kyle of Lochalsh. All I had time for was a simple out and back trip, no intermediate shacks at all. I ate my sandwich and had a beer or three as the train headed out towards Dingwall. The line out to Kyle is absolutely stunning. Most of the journey is Mountains on one side, and numerous different Lochs on the other. Most of the intermediate shacks looked very pretty and the last 20 miles or so where the line hugs the coast are just... wow. The train's auto announcer was at least one stop behind for most of the journey as well. Arrival into Kyle was on time-and what a place it is! The view of the station from the roadbridge with the impressive backdrop of the mountains behind made the 20 hour trip worth it. I had an hour to waste, so wandered up the road for a nice cold pint. I picked up some more adult beverages from a local shop. The shopkeeper picked up on my English accent and asked where abouts I was from. Turned out she'd lived about 10 miles away from me before moving to the Highlands!

It was starting to go dark as we approached departure time, so I knew I wouldn't be seeing much scenery on the way back. I therefore settled into my tablet and watched a few pre-downloaded TV Episodes. The day's travelling (and lack of sleep) had caught up with me by now, the friendly conductor woke me up at Inverness. Once I alighted and had a quick PNB, I stopped in WHSmith to pick up a meal deal in case I couldn't eat on the Sleeoer. I headed over to platform 1, checked in and was directed to my carriage. Dud 67013 was providing the thrash as far as Edinburgh, I was in the front coach around 1/3 down the carriage. After dumping my stuff in my cabin and putting my tablet on charge, I headed straight to the lounge car.

The lounge car wasn't the usual setup, but instead a normal first class mk3 buffet coach. I had a look through the menu before ordering the traditional Scottish Haggis, Neeps & Tatties. The food arrived at departure time and was extremely good. The Haggis was highly recommended by the passenger I'd spoken to earlier-I certainly agree with him, it was excellent. A couple of cans of St. Mungo's washed it down well. A 170 passed us whilst we were in Moy loop, I retired to my cabin shortly arriving into Aviemore. I got comfy in bed as we chugged through the Highlands.

The cabins are small and cosy but are more than sufficient for the purpose they serve. This was the first time I'd properly slept on a train, so the lateral movement along the Highland Main Line really took some getting used to. The ride was smoother than I'd expected though, and I was asleep shortly after Blair Atholl.

In much better circumstances than the previous night, I was heading down to London via the Land of Nod...

Tech-my usual Adult Beverage of choice is Kronenbourg. I quite enjoy working nights, but only do it for a maximum of 2 weeks out of 12. I wouldn't fancy it all the time though. I was indeed entitled to child fares on Metrolink/TfGM buses only when we last met. Struggling to believe it was that long ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.