• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

18th August Glasgow trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanize

me and my Grandad started at Dundee station, on the 09:51 FSR Class 170 to Glasgow QS. We found seats in the front carriage, and before long the refreshment trolley came and I bought a bottle of Apple juice and a mars bar (my morning confectionary :)). The journey carried on past Gleneagles, Dunblane (where we got slowed down due to the stopping service to Edinburgh W being a few minutes ahead), bridge of Allan. At Stirling, I noted 170473 ready to form a Glasgow QS service, (luckily it would leave after us).
We arrived at Glasgow QS at 11:16, then me and Grandad wasted no time buying our Roundabout tickets, before joining 158736 on the 11:25 to Maryhill. The outward journey was uneventful, the return, I sat in Declassified FC (Maryhill-Glasgow QS cleared in FC!) to arrive back in Glasgow QS at 12:12.

It was then down to the low level platforms, to get a 320 to Milngavie (having let the Helensburgh bound 334 go first), as we departed glasgow QS, I saw Evil hippo on the Platform (More of which later!). I duly highlighted the Milngavie branch and met Evil Hippo (Zoltan) at Westerton, then joined 318256 to Dalmuir. because it wasn't cross platform interchange at dalmuir, we missed a 6 car 320 formation going via Yoker (line I neaded to do!) but couldn't complain as there was a 318 leaving 6 minutes later on the 13:19 to Lanark (via yoker to my Delight!) Saw lots of EMUs in Yoker depot, particularly class 314s in abundence.

Me, Grandad and evil hippo alighted at partick where we got the GLUG (Clockwork Orange :) to St Enoch. At St Enoch, we walked the 5 mile walk to Glasgow C (Evil Hippo left at this point to do his own things) while me and Grandad joined the 14:20 to Neilston (which was the Black and orange class 314) a journey which took forever! Then we changed ends and headed back to Central, found the mens loo and a drinks shop (johnson's apple juice at only £1.59) before boarding the 15:38 Class 156 to Paisley Canal. this journey was pretty good as we passed Sheilds Road and Corkerhill!

We took the 15 mile walk from Paisley C to paisley GS, seeing some of the Glasgow independents on the way, prior to getting a 6 car 334 to Glasgow C. Then we went downstairs at Glasgow C, having our tickets checked 3 times before getting a delayed 334 to Partick. Here we changed to a 320 to Glasgow QS then walked to the main station. I'm armed with the latest copy of rail (Just a day old!) which didn't have the pictures I submitted :(. Then we boarded the 17:40 170/158 combo at the first second, to ensure we got a table! This journey was eventful, we saw 66s on frieght, various 170s in various liveries and the stations along the way. At Perth, the 158 at the rear which was the same one that took us to maryhill detatched, while just the 3 car 170 continued to Dundee (and subsequently Aberdeen). We arrived on time at 19:10 and what a good day it was!

Glasgow has one of the best Rail Networks IMHO, must go again soon!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I agree with the last sentence, it rocks! I need another trip up to Glasgow!

That's the latest addition of places to re-visit, not due to happen til March 2006!

evil_hippo

I caught the Springburn electric line earlier, it managed an average of exactly 1 passenger per station! Makes South Hampstead look like Clpaham Junction at 8:15.

What I like about Glasgow is that it has, contrary to popular belief, three frequent underground links across the city centre. The Blue and Green lines on the SPT map run underground can be just as useful; and can manage as little as 6 minutes between trains. (fortunatley people want to cross the city in greater numbers than those wishing to travel on the Springburn line).

And 318s are SO comfortable!

Status
Not open for further replies.