• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19:20 Virgin Euston-Manchester Ghost Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

table38

Established Member
The Virgin timetable shows a 19:20 departure, but any ideas why this doesn't appear in the NRE Journey Planner? It does run because a colleague caught it last night!

vt1.jpg

vt2.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It's been removed by NRE from all Journey Planners as the stop at Milton Keynes is now an "open" stop, and needs amending to reflect this. (It was previously pickup only.)

It'll be back in the next day or two, and is still running as normal...

Smethwickian

There are some posters on this site who (when the subject of 'definitive' information comes up, as opposed to stuff Joe Public is not allowed to see in 'internal' or 'staff' documents) seem to insist that NRE is utterly definitive, possibly absolutely infallible, and suggest no passenger should ever pay heed to any other information or publicity.

So, for them, if they're at Euston at 1920, the train does not exist, it does not run, it is a hallucination, forbidden to the mortal public, and they must not attempt to board it...

table38

Established Member
Thanks all, interestingly the aforementioned colleague tells me that the train wasn't on the platform displays at Stoke, which were showing "some cross-country train", most likely the 20:55 Bournemouth-Piccadilly.

Perhaps more of a "stealth" train than a ghost train :)

First class

Established Member
1H05 1920 EUS-MAN 2125 appears to be an "unadvertised ordinary passenger" working according to a certain internal system. Possibly just a mistake.

Looks like this then forms 2157 5H05 to Longsight.

table38

Established Member
I did ask the obvious question, "was it on the board at Euston" and apparently it was. He said they had just turned up early for the 19:40, saw the 19:20 and went for that.

(A train in the hand is worth two in the timetable)

causton

Established Member
It's showing up on Open Train Times as being cancelled all this week :?

1H05

Ooh I never noticed that feature on it - I went to check the EUS departures to see if it showed up at all but it's conspicuously absent!
(PS: Offtopic I know, but just saw on the EUS page that LO services are still timed to run as 313s! :P )

BrianTheLion

The Virgin timetable shows a 19:20 departure, but any ideas why this doesn't appear in the NRE Journey Planner? It does run because a colleague caught it last night!

vt1.jpg

vt2.jpg

What i'd like to know is why the Virgin timetable shows a train leaving at 18:57 yet the NRE planner says 19:00?!?

Who'd do you believe?

John55

If you look at page 7 of the Virgin timetable and not just at page 8 you will notice the 19:00 train is the last shown on page 7. The trains are ordered by arrival at Manchester not by departure from Euston so passengers can easily find the earliest arrival at the destination. The 18:57 is of course an FO service which is slower than the 19:00 so arrives 2 minutes later and therefore appears after the 19:00. NRE looking for fastest journey will not pick up the 18:57 unless you request slower services.

Always advisable not to only look at what someone has posted who may not have been interested in that particular issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.