• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19(c) split

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
So, I went to Brighton for the evening on a whim with a friend today. I have a Zone 1-6 outboundary travelcard season, and he has a zone 1-3 travelcard season on his Oyster. We were hoping to buy Boundary Zone 6 and 3 respectively to Brighton returns but we were running a little late at Farringdon, so we didn't feel we had time to wrestle with the LUL ticket offices (can they even sell these tickets?), so we bought from the machine. I was expecting to get London Terminals to Brighton returns, but instead we ended up with Farringdon to Brighton route Not Underground.

Now, initially I thought this would mean we'd need to get an excess on the way back, but I realised that we can do a 19(c) split at, say, Streatham Common (Zone 3 and on one of the permitted routes to Farringdon)), and it'd be perfectly valid.

However, we're on a GatEx, so I strongly expect to receive problems at the Victoria gateline... any suggestions? Is my analysis of the ticketing situation correct? Can my friend just tap out with his Oyster and me with my paper travelcard season and have no problem? Or will we have issues/maximum fares?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
I agree entirely that the ticket combinations are valid. I have no idea what the gates will do if you do end up in platform 13 or 14. I've never had a day travelcard accepted by them, I don't know whether a season will be any different.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Don't think an inboundary Travelcard season on Oyster will be accepted at GatEx gatelines so it may not tap you out.

The combination is perfectly fine. If they have a problem with it, see if you can calmly talk to them about Condition 19(c). If not, then I would say pay the fare they asked for and lodge a complaint afterwards.

Muzer

Established Member
We ended up on 15 so no GatEx gateline to worry about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.