• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1950'S Railway maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam100

Hello, i have been looking for maps/plans of railway lines for around the 1950's when there were many more line, so far i have searched everything that has come into my head, internet, old news papers, library, frinds and family but i am unable to find any maps or plans of where the lines used to exist around my area. in the ideal world i would like to see detailed maps, o.s maps, plans or guides of my area especially bourne/stamford.
I am new to your forum and i am more into the local history of my area and hope to create now and then maps and images. if any one knows where i could find any information regarding this it would be of great help to me and the local people interested in our railway history.
thank you, Sam.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W14Fishbourne

A couple of sources:

First of all, join up to Britain's Lost Railways (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Britains_Lost_Railways/) if you're interested in old lines.

Secondly, try Col M H Cobb's masterwork "The Railways of Great Britain: A Historical Atlas". The good news – it shows all lines past and present on the background of old 1 inch to the mile Ordnance Survey maps. The bad news - the Atlas cost £150 and all the copies of the first edition have been sold. The better news - Ian Allan is printing a revised edition - why not put it on Santa's list? I did, and he obliged! IA is also printing it in smaller, cheaper, regional chunks under the title of "Railways of Britain". Volumes 1 and 2 are now out covering Norfolk/Suffolk and Kent/Sussex respectively. Other areas will surely follow. (See: http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/product.php?productid=56596&cat=1004&page=2)

Thirdly, watch out in second hand book shops, car boot sales, etc, for old 1950s/60s Ordnance Survey maps of your area. You can usually pick them up for a pound or two.

sam100

thanks alot for that, i do appreciate all the information and images. i did see the past and persent railways book seiries but only found volume 1 which was around £20 off amazon.co.uk. have also been into many charity shops and believe me you do find some useful items and books for very little money. i find this site very interesting, i will try and add my own images and information, i live a stonesthrow form the east coast main line so will add any images i manage to get.
once again thankyou.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Secondly, try Col M H Cobb's masterwork "The Railways of Great Britain: A Historical Atlas". The good news – it shows all lines past and present on the background of old 1 inch to the mile Ordnance Survey maps. The bad news - the Atlas cost £150 and all the copies of the first edition have been sold. The better news - Ian Allan is printing a revised edition - why not put it on Santa's list? I did, and he obliged! IA is also printing it in smaller, cheaper, regional chunks under the title of "Railways of Britain". Volumes 1 and 2 are now out covering Norfolk/Suffolk and Kent/Sussex respectively. Other areas will surely follow. (See: http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/product.php?productid=56596&cat=1004&page=2)

Despite its price, the Cobb book is actually good value for money considering the amount of research it has taken and its size (it is two hardback thick A4 volumes, which come in a box). Both me and my brother were interested in it, so we went halves and bought a copy to share - think it was £120 when we got it, so £60 each wasn't too bad. As I can't find the books, I'm hoping he has them at his house at the moment!

sam100

expensive maybe but i dont think money can buy a persons research, someone who has quite possibly dedicated all of there life to a subject, the best thing is reading it and gaining knowledge, even sheding light onto valuable resources that may be lost or unheard of.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
oh by the way what was the book like, for example does it cotain detailed maps, images maybe?, historical dates, facts, interveiws? plans, diagrams? who build certains structures, why, how? just so i can get a general idea of such a book incase i decide to part with £150 (maybe less).
much appreciated.

sam100

wow thats excellent, really good website can follow all the old lines perfectly.
thankyou metroland.

theblackwatch

Established Member
oh by the way what was the book like, for example does it cotain detailed maps, images maybe?, historical dates, facts, interveiws? plans, diagrams? who build certains structures, why, how? just so i can get a general idea of such a book incase i decide to part with £150 (maybe less).
much appreciated.

From what I remember there are no images or interviews. There is a review of the book at http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/pages.php?pageid=110 which also includes a link to a sample page, so you can see what it's about.

kestrel

I'm glad someone has brought the subject of this book up, i once saw a copy of it years ago but it was a tad over my price range, i've been looking in 2nd hand bookshops and its one of a few books that Never turns up:roll:, shall be placing an order soon then.

(Another one you never see of which i have a hardback copy: 'The diesel impact on british rail' by R M Tuffnell and signed too its an absolute gem of a book and apparently worth nearly £200 because of its rarity8).)

I have an almost brand new copy of 'jowetts nationalized railways' which is fantastic piece of work all hand drawn and written with a wealth of information in it, i paid a tenner for it in 'Keegans bookshop' reading (now closed both brothers called it a day early this year!)

Status
Not open for further replies.