• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1955 Electric Locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Further to my request re main-line diesel locos, I turn to the electrics.

20001-3 were at Durnsford Road. Now this was a SW depot yet most of the coverage I've seen of these locos seem to involve the Central Division - Newhaven boat trains and the like. Of course, other than Portsmouth the SW didn't have much long-distance work that could be worked by electrics !

The EM1 and EM2s are straightforward; freight and passenger work respectively on the Woodhead route (with some EM1 passenger work when necessary; some were boiler-fitted for such work).

26500/1 - shunting work on the North Tyneside electric system from their Heaton base.

26510 - built for banking work on the Woodhead (was it ever used in that way?), but by 1955 was based at Stratford and - I think - was used as a depot shunter at Ilford. Is that correct?

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
26510 built for Newport-Shildon, later (ca. 1941) rebuilt for use as a Woodhead banker, but possibly never used. Moved to Ilford ca. 8/49.

EDIT: I think that 26500 and 26501 were normally only used on the Quayside branch, possibly on the basis of a week on and a week off (unless I am mixing up that detail another class).

20001 to 20003 were allocated to Brighton. In addition to the Boat Trains, I think they worked goods trains, including a Norwood- Chichester (I think, at some time). There was DS 74 at Durnsford Road and 75S on the Waterloo & City.

(Most of the above from Shed by Shed, vol. 7, or memory.)

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
The Woodhead passenger electric locos had electric boilers (like a big electric kettle). The Co-Co EM2 locos seem to have only been used on Manchester-Sheffield trains, and there seem more than enough to cover those services, but some of the later Bo-Bo EM1 were likewise fitted as well. The boilered locos, only, are identifiable by being named, all after Greek Gods (and Goddesses). The Co-Cos had female Goddess names, the Bo-Bos had male God names. One of the engineers on the project must have recollected their traditional teenage school days doing the classics!

6Gman

Established Member
The Woodhead passenger electric locos had electric boilers (like a big electric kettle). The Co-Co EM2 locos seem to have only been used on Manchester-Sheffield trains, and there seem more than enough to cover those services, but some of the later Bo-Bo EM1 were likewise fitted as well. The boilered locos, only, are identifiable by being named, all after Greek Gods (and Goddesses). The Co-Cos had female Goddess names, the Bo-Bos had male God names. One of the engineers on the project must have recollected their traditional teenage school days doing the classics!

Only just! In the mid-50s there were 7 locos for 6 diagrams. So if one was under maintenance there was no spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.