• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1960s timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

47296lastduff

If anybody has access to public or working timetable for North Eastern winter 1961/1962, I am trying to trace details of 1855 Leeds Central to (Manchester Victoria?) on a Saturday in October 1961. This is before the complete revision of services from Jan 1962 for dmu introduction. In particular I am after station calls between Leeds and Halifax.
Similarly for LMR winter 1963/1964, Saturday in October 1963, did the 0005 Manchester Central to St Pancras show a stop at Stockport Tiviot Dale please?
And finally, same timetable, Saturday in Jan 1964, did the 1819 from Blackpool Central show stops via Lytham please?
Any details or clues gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
I have the LMR public timetable for Sep 1964 to June 1965, so have some info on the second and third queries:-
  • 0005 Manchester Central to St.Pancras did call at Tiviot Dale - arr. 0023, dep. 0025.
    The same times applied to both Fri night/Sat morning and Sat night/Sun morning trains (not sure if you're looking for "very early hours of a Saturday morning" or "last train on Saturday night").

• The 1964/65 timetable I have to hand does not show an 1819 ex-Blackpool Central, although there was an 1823 departure to Manchester Vic (if that's the destination you're looking for). This ran via Lytham.
    In fact all the trains departing Blackpool Central in the afternoon and evening ran via the Coast route in the winter timetable. All called at Lytham, including the through Euston trains.

YorksLad12

Established Member
For reasons we don't need to go in to, I have a copy of Goodall's ABC Guide and Diary for Dec 2nd (1957) to Jan 5th 1958. It has your 1855 departure, but listed in 12-hour format - so apologies if I mis-type...

Actually: given that I had to photograph it with my iPad in order to be able to read the very small text, I might as well just share the photo!
IMG_0522.jpg

Bevan Price

Established Member
If anybody has access to public or working timetable for North Eastern winter 1961/1962, I am trying to trace details of 1855 Leeds Central to (Manchester Victoria?) on a Saturday in October 1961. This is before the complete revision of services from Jan 1962 for dmu introduction. In particular I am after station calls between Leeds and Halifax.
Similarly for LMR winter 1963/1964, Saturday in October 1963, did the 0005 Manchester Central to St Pancras show a stop at Stockport Tiviot Dale please?
And finally, same timetable, Saturday in Jan 1964, did the 1819 from Blackpool Central show stops via Lytham please?
Any details or clues gratefully received.

I don't have the NER timetable for 1961/62, but the LMR 1961/62 timetable shows it appearing to run as separate portions from Leeds Central (18:55) & Bradford Exchange (19:15), presumably combining at Low Moor, then calling at Halifax, Sowerby Bridge, Todmorden, Rochale, Manchester Victoria, Wigan Wallgate, Meols Cop, Southport St. Lukes & Southport Chapel Street (arr. 21:56) (The LMR timetable does not include "smaller" stations between Leeds & Halifax). It had a connection at Rochdale for all stations to Bury (Knowsley St.), Bolton & Wigan Wallgate.

The 1963/1964 LMR Timetable shows an 18:19 Blackpool Central to Colne, via Lytham, calling all stations to Preston (except Salwick), then Mill Hill, Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley (Barracks & Central), Nelson and Colne (19:51).

The 1963/64 LMR timetable also shows the 00:05 Manchester to London St. Pancras, running daily including Sunday. It called at Stockport Tiviot Dale then Derby, Leicester, Market Harborough, Kettering, Wellingborough, Bedford, Luton , St. Albans then St. Pancras. I presume it carried newspapers or parcels, because most of the intermediate stops were quite long (e.g. 20 mins. at Derby, 26 mins. at Leicester)

47296lastduff

Many thanks to all three of you for the comprehensive replies, far more details than I expected to be able to get after all these years.
Lockdown has given me time to check back on some ancient journey details, and confirm that I travelled over lines/connections which no longer exist. In my early days I did not bother about exactly which way trains went, so it is great to be able to reconstruct records from the sparse details I already had.
Again, grateful thanks for the speed of replies.

S&CLER

I don't have the NER timetable for 1961/62, but the LMR 1961/62 timetable shows it appearing to run as separate portions from Leeds Central (18:55) & Bradford Exchange (19:15), presumably combining at Low Moor, then calling at Halifax, Sowerby Bridge, Todmorden, Rochale, Manchester Victoria, Wigan Wallgate, Meols Cop, Southport St. Lukes & Southport Chapel Street (arr. 21:56) (The LMR timetable does not include "smaller" stations between Leeds & Halifax). It had a connection at Rochdale for all stations to Bury (Knowsley St.), Bolton & Wigan Wallgate.

The 1963/1964 LMR Timetable shows an 18:19 Blackpool Central to Colne, via Lytham, calling all stations to Preston (except Salwick), then Mill Hill, Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley (Barracks & Central), Nelson and Colne (19:51).

The 1963/64 LMR timetable also shows the 00:05 Manchester to London St. Pancras, running daily including Sunday. It called at Stockport Tiviot Dale then Derby, Leicester, Market Harborough, Kettering, Wellingborough, Bedford, Luton , St. Albans then St. Pancras. I presume it carried newspapers or parcels, because most of the intermediate stops were quite long (e.g. 20 mins. at Derby, 26 mins. at Leicester)

The Leeds portion arrived at Low Moor 7.17 pm, the Bradford portion at 7.22, the combined train left at 7.29 p.m. according to the final Bradshaw of May 1961.

Status
Not open for further replies.