• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1972 Tube Stock & Bakerloo Line Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the 1972 tube stock (with no cab doors) how do the drivers get off the train to clear blockages/check signals e.t.c? They must be very annoying. Why didn't they have cab doors? Virtually all previous stock did. On the Victoria line (1967 stock) it wasn't as big an issue as it is all in a tunnel. The Bakerloo has a large overground section. On another note I have never used the DC lines or the Bakerloo line north of Warwick Avenue. Do these lines share the same tracks between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
On the latter point yes- the fourth (central) rail is electrically bonded to a running rail and the third rail energised at somewhere between the total LU voltage and the normal NR voltage.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Simple answer for no cab doors on 1967 and 1972 Stock was ATO, less chance of the driver falling from an open cab door, so fit them with a restricting interlocked window.

Yes, north of Queens Park Bakerloo Line trains share the NR operated DC lines. NR services now operated by London OvergrounD. Some stations are now operated by London UndergrounD.

The window is interlocked? I didn't know the Bakerloo had ATO.

tom1649

Bakerloo isn't ATO. Only the '67 stock had interlocking windows as far as I know.

Simple answer for no cab doors on 1967 and 1972 Stock was ATO, less chance of the driver falling from an open cab door, so fit them with a restricting interlocked window.

Yes, north of Queens Park Bakerloo Line trains share the NR operated DC lines. NR services now operated by London OvergrounD. Some stations are now operated by London UndergrounD.

So how often do drivers fall out of cabs? Did the 1972 stock have ATO when they were used on the Northern line?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On the 1972 tube stock (with no cab doors) how do the drivers get off the train to clear blockages/check signals e.t.c? They must be very annoying. Why didn't they have cab doors?

The 1972 stock does have a cab door of sorts - the emergency door in the middle of the front. Of course, egress from this puts one directly above the 4th rail.....

Daniel

Established Member
As for the original question of how does the driver get down onto the track, they go via the 'M' door, (on the front of the train).

Oracle

Established Member
There is also energised 4th rail south/east of Queens Park to the Up (Southbound) platform at Kilburn High Road. I think that there used to be 4th rail in both platforms as the trailing crossover from Up to Down was beyond the station. I am pretty certain that the crossover is now west/north of the station so trains reverse in the Up. However I stand corrected if I am wrong!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The 4th rail up to Kilburn High road is surely bonded and 0V, not "energised" as such- as that's how it is on the rest of the system?

Th standards are, as I understand it:
Purely 3rd rail, national Rail: 750V (can be lower in places). Traction current return via running rail at 0V
"Hybrid"- Watford DC, Western parts of the District/Overground system: 3rd rail at 660V, 4th rail/running rail at 0V
Purely Underground (including surface lines): 3rd rail at +420V, 4th rail at -210V for total potential difference of 630V

Status
Not open for further replies.