• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1992 Tube Stock ATO failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebmcr

Established Member
This evening, my journey from North Acton to Stratford was aboard a train with 001 in the cab display, and acceleration was very strange and choppy throughout the journey.

Was that likely to have been a train that had to be driven in manual mode?

There were also many strange noises coming from the relays in the driver's cab — different than the 'usual' ones, and at one point accompanied by what sounded like a mainline train's vigilance alarm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
This evening, my journey from North Acton to Stratford was aboard a train with 001 in the cab display, and acceleration was very strange and choppy throughout the journey.

There were also many strange noises coming from the relays in the driver's cab — different than the 'usual' ones, and at one point accompanied by what sounded like a mainline train's vigilance alarm.

Sounds like it, if what you describe as the vigilance alarm was whilst standing in platforms then it was the OPO alarm which the driver has to reset to prove he’s not become incapacitated. Alternatively a similar tone sounds if the train has an over speed, which would be accompanied by harsh braking, but missable if the driver was only just over as the Central Line (unlike other lines which insist on a complete stop) merely brings the train down to permitted speed, so if it’s only a couple of mph then it feels more like a kick than a full brake application.

If in coded manual you would have heard various chimes, which on the Central Line sound a bit like a doorbell, upward or downward sounding depending on whether target speed has increased or decreased.

rebmcr

Established Member
Sounds like it, if what you describe as the vigilance alarm was whilst standing in platforms then it was the OPO alarm which the driver has to reset to prove he’s not become incapacitated. Alternatively a similar tone sounds if the train has an over speed, which would be accompanied by harsh braking, but missable if the driver was only just over as the Central Line (unlike other lines which insist on a complete stop) merely brings the train down to permitted speed, so if it’s only a couple of mph then it feels more like a kick than a full brake application.

If in coded manual you would have heard various chimes, which on the Central Line sound a bit like a doorbell, upward or downward sounding depending on whether target speed has increased or decreased.

No chimes but the alarm was whilst stopped. Is there a 'non-coded manual' mode?

Nym

Established Member

Sounds a lot like there was a loss of PWM control or the encoder if the acceleration and braking was choppy. I'd need to dig deep in my old knowledge, but if you loose the Brake Encoder I believe that ATO will not function and you must drive in Protected Manual or Restricted Manual.

There's an angular encoder in the Traction Brake Controller for 1992TS, if this fails, the fall back is essentially a four position TBC, "Default Acceleration, Coast, Default Brake, Emergency Brake".

Status
Not open for further replies.