• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I politely suggest none of you go anywhere near an Airport or get onto an Aeroplane as you are likely to be sadly disappointed by the compliance levels with regard to mask wearing.

Having recently utilised British Airways Flights (near 100% masked) and Edinburgh, London City and Heathrow Airports also virtually 100% masked , the counter-revolution appears to be in abeyance with regard to Aviation.

Wonder why ?
Because you’re in very, very big trouble if you cause disruption in an airport or on an aircraft.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
I rode with National Express yesterday. It made a change from the train, and being from Bradford to Manchester at least it was direct. Anyway, the driver did take our temperatures. Another driver I noticed at Leeds also took his passengers' temperatures. So this is continuing for the time being.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Beefeater need to go back to offering you the bread roll, prior to dining.

When they stopped that, it was like a step down in service.
Do they still serve Oasis Soup? You getta roll wiv it..

I was, for my sins, in a large Primark store today with my other half, me being bored started to count other shoppers to get a figure on mask compliance.
I suspect there are many out there who, like some posters on this thread, are wearing them only so as to ‘not stand out’ or fear of comments, stares or intimidation (none of which I’ve experienced).
I counted 59 non-wearers to 39 masked. Most of those masked-up were not teenagers or young adults, and I imagine the younger customers see others leaving the shop without masks & possibly take “courage” that there will be no comments?
Adding myself and my partner, that was exactly 61% not wearing masks (I didn’t count any staff)

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Mask compliance lower in Scotrail stations and trains last few weeks.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I was surprised to see on a quick visit to GLQ last week that the sole member of staff on one of the gatelines had no mask though it is quite possible they had an exemption. Almost all the passengers I saw were masked.

Calum1

I'm on the upper deck of the 7 in Glasgow to summerston and no one upstairs has a mask on

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Am currently on a Pendolino up to Edinburgh and it feels completely normal! Mask wearing is an astonishing 0% out of the 15-20 people in my carriage, and only one member of the catering staff was wearing his, which he later removed. Most in 1st here appear to be business-types.

Of course, nobody bothered putting one on as we crossed into Sturgeon’s territory. I’ll be interested to see how many on my train up to INV later are wearing one.

Slightly concerning though that WMT’s services on the Cross-City line are still playing automated “you must wear a face covering” announcements 2 weeks on from the legal mandate being removed.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Greater Anglia services to and from Essex on Saturday also still had the wrong "must" message playing. How difficult is this? I'm sure they all had them playing quickly enough when they were put in.

Its like getting a refund! One second to take the cash and three weeks to get it back :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Greater Anglia services to and from Essex on Saturday also still had the wrong "must" message playing. How difficult is this? I'm sure they all had them playing quickly enough when they were put in.

Its like getting a refund! One second to take the cash and three weeks to get it back :)
Poster up at Darsham station when I drove over the level crossing last week still said “Help us keep trains clear for those who really need them. Only travel if absolutely necessary.” This doesn’t appear to be isolated as I saw the same poster up at a different GA station the day before in Norfolk.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Carlisle station still has red posters up stating a £100 fine applies for not wearing a mask - these are from last July! Given that it was right next to where the dispatcher was standing I’m incredulous posters like this are still up.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My first proper local few days out since the easing as I’ve been working and on holiday since July 19th.

Waitrose 100% of customers in masks (except me & person I was with), but only 40% of staff. The queueing system (internal to the shop) totally removed, and also the small back entrance that has been closed since last March has been reopened.

“The Works” single staff member and no customers wearing a mask, someone later came in wearing a snood type thing, and took his off, presumably because nobody else had one on.

Still lots of shops on the High Street with out of date signage about how masks are compulsory etc, presumed out of date as most shops didn’t have staff or customers wearing them.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Its very much a what is everyone else doing thing as the weeks progress. At Cheshunt station on Saturday and all in my view were not wearing masks. There was a stream of four different people come on to the platform in masks; two of them removed them when they stopped on the platform. Sheepness but in my favour this time 8-)

LowLevel

Established Member
On EMR trains the auto announcements have been switched off, bar a few that have been missed the face covering posters have been removed too (I assume they're being doing on depots to clean the adhesive remnants off and stop people's hair sticking to them). The only ones still there are the ones asking people to avoid congregating in the vestibule outside the cab on 15x units which could do with staying there forever anyway.

There's a recorded announcement on the stations about face coverings but nothing to say it's mandatory and lots of signage encouraging people to use rail.

By and large it nearly all looks like it used to.

Company policy is still for staff to wear face coverings at the moment pending a further review with health and safety reps. To be fair for people doing ticket inspections or passenger assistance etc at close quarters that probably makes sense if they're dealing with passengers who prefer to continue to wear their face coverings. Depending on how things go it can be reviewed later.

DannyMich2018

I've noticed that in supermarkets generally compliance with wearing face covering is quite high but other shops such as TK Maxx and Sports Direct much fewer with them on. Of course many elderly people who are more likely to wear them are less likely to shop in these places. I'd wear a face covering if a particular shop or train/bus was busy but less likely if was pretty quiet.
One thing I've noticed and it's not just supermarkets but ever since Covid many shops are nowhere nearly as busy as they used to be. Pre-Covid go into any of the supermarkets in my town either at lunch time or at the weekend and most would be busy but even if you go in during these times all are seemingly quieter. Of course many people are working from home but online has really took off the last 15 plus months.

MikeWM

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed that the guidance at the top of the government's main page https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus has changed from

- Wear face coverings in crowded places to help protect others.

to

- Wear face coverings in crowded places and on public transport.

at some point in the last week? The 'and' there is rather concerning as it implies an expectation to do so even if not 'crowded'.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Poster up at Darsham station when I drove over the level crossing last week still said “Help us keep trains clear for those who really need them. Only travel if absolutely necessary.” This doesn’t appear to be isolated as I saw the same poster up at a different GA station the day before in Norfolk.
That's practically an antique!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On my XC HST yesterday morning, it was disconcerting to see mask usage at over 50% in my coach and the Train Manager was making inappropriate announcements about "respect" which was most unwelcome, but when I went to get out at Wakefield, everyone in the vestibule (who also got off) was unmasked and most people at the station were unmasked too, so that made me feel more positive

The next train was a Northern train towards Sheffield and hardly anyone wore masks :) The Guard came round checking tickets and was also unmasked. That train felt normal!

On my return journey, no-one wore masks on the Northern rail replacement bus, the vast majority on the station were not wearing masks, and when the HST pulled in, I saw most coaches had the vast majority unmasked, although one coach looked like it may have been 50/50. While waiting for my train, I saw an LNER (to Skipton) and a few Northern trains; most people I could see were unmasked, even on LNER whose messaging is very strongly encouraging mask usage, so that was a really good sign (my last LNER journey was similar, but I had wondered if that was just because I was in 1st and we were getting regular drinks). At York station the vast majority were unmasked.

So it's definitely getting better, though the messaging on some trains is absolutely appalling (but thankfully generally being ignored) and if this continues I am going to have to start writing complaints to TOCs, but I'll give them at least a week or two to sort it out before I do that.

Has anyone else noticed that the guidance at the top of the government's main page https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus has changed from

to

at some point in the last week? The 'and' there is rather concerning as it implies an expectation to do so even if not 'crowded'.
We need to push back against, and not be complicit in, this unjustified demonisation of public transport.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
I've noticed that in supermarkets generally compliance with wearing face covering is quite high but other shops such as TK Maxx and Sports Direct much fewer with them on. Of course many elderly people who are more likely to wear them are less likely to shop in these places. I'd wear a face covering if a particular shop or train/bus was busy but less likely if was pretty quiet.
One thing I've noticed and it's not just supermarkets but ever since Covid many shops are nowhere nearly as busy as they used to be. Pre-Covid go into any of the supermarkets in my town either at lunch time or at the weekend and most would be busy but even if you go in during these times all are seemingly quieter. Of course many people are working from home but online has really took off the last 15 plus months.
Online is generally working a lot better than it was before the pandemic - good availability for next day delivery round my way, and substitutions aren't that common. I keep meaning to go back to going into shops in person, but I can see me cutting back to half the number of trips I did before and just keeping the deliveries on long-term.

My observations are only in Edinburgh, where masks are still mandatory of course. I'd say around 90% mask usage on buses I've been on, but I've stopped getting my lanyard out of my pocket, and I've not had so much as a second glance for going maskless over the last couple of weeks. My local pub were a bit jumpy about it last time I went in, but then they had only just re-opened after being pinged out for a week. People are really only going through the motions

Skimpot flyer

Established Member

to

The guidance can say what it wants. I’m not wearing a mask in any setting as I am exempt. If I wasn’t, the wearing of a mask would for me have ended on July 19, no ifs or buts, or attempts to stigmatise me as selfish!
I genuinely believe there are some train users who do not actually know the compulsory element has been dropped (with a few publicised exceptions, like on TfL services). The recorded announcements on a recent Thameslink journey, saying ‘you MUST wear a face covering’ are only perpetuating this confusion, certainly amongst irregular users of trains.

philosopher

Established Member
Some observations from a trip to Birmingham this weekend:

On the train from London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street on Saturday about 70% were wearing masks. On the train back it seemed higher, perhaps at 80% or 90%. Train back had announcements encouraging mask wearing, however train there did not.

About 40% were wearing masks in shops in Birmingham city centre, a lot less than London where I would say it is still about 75%. Birmingham city centre seemed as busy as pre covid times, despite the loss of some big name stores there over the past 18 months.

Pub I went to still was table service only, which I was somewhat disappointed by. This pub is a gastropub so perhaps is more inclined to keep table service, however my friend did say most pubs in the area were still mainly table service. No one other than the staff were wearing masks.

One way system still in place in Marylebone, which was generally being ignored but did seem to actually make the place seem more busy. At Moor Street there were a couple of people handing out lateral flow tests. The coffee shop I used at Moor Street was completely back to pre Covid times, no staff wearing masks, no social distancing signs and no perspex screens!

So all in all, a mixed picture.

Jamiescott1

Theres a new card shop opened today in the town I live.
As I walked past I noticed that they have arrows on the floor and a one way system inside.
I didn't stop to read the full details of the signs on the door but saw covid mentioned.
The shops been open less than 8 hours

Bikeman78

Established Member
One way system still in place in Marylebone, which was generally being ignored but did seem to actually make the place seem more busy.
Are there any other stations in England that still have a one way system?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Milton Keynes Central had a 1-way system on the bridge that was being enforced last week, unsure if that’s the case now.

MikeWM

Established Member

Ely still has 'enter via the ticket office, exit around the sides of the station building'. Very few people have ever seemed to follow it, and even fewer seem to do so now.

The back of the 'no exit' sign on the platform by the ticket office has a sign saying 'you must wear a face covering on rail replacement buses', so I think it is time they retired both sides of that sign...

GodAtum

On Moderation
We need to push back against, and not be complicit in, this unjustified demonisation of public transport.

I'm specifically not wearing a mask for that every reason. On Southern there are still automated announcements telling people masks are compulsory. I've also given advice to people who sit next to me asking me to wear a mask that this is not a TFL service.

Green tractor

On my XC HST yesterday morning, it was disconcerting to see mask usage at over 50% in my coach

Why is it "disconcerting" to see people following the guidence to wear face coverings on public transport? They have made their choice, and you made yours.

jumble

On my XC HST yesterday morning, it was disconcerting to see mask usage at over 50% in my coach and the Train Manager was making inappropriate announcements about "respect" which was most unwelcome, but when I went to get out at Wakefield, everyone in the vestibule (who also got off) was unmasked and most people at the station were unmasked too, so that made me feel more positive

The next train was a Northern train towards Sheffield and hardly anyone wore masks :) The Guard came round checking tickets and was also unmasked. That train felt normal!

On my return journey, no-one wore masks on the Northern rail replacement bus, the vast majority on the station were not wearing masks, and when the HST pulled in, I saw most coaches had the vast majority unmasked, although one coach looked like it may have been 50/50. While waiting for my train, I saw an LNER (to Skipton) and a few Northern trains; most people I could see were unmasked, even on LNER whose messaging is very strongly encouraging mask usage, so that was a really good sign (my last LNER journey was similar, but I had wondered if that was just because I was in 1st and we were getting regular drinks). At York station the vast majority were unmasked.

So it's definitely getting better, though the messaging on some trains is absolutely appalling (but thankfully generally being ignored) and if this continues I am going to have to start writing complaints to TOCs, but I'll give them at least a week or two to sort it out before I do that.

Best not come and travel on the London Underground during rush hour
About 85% of people are still indulging

Status
Not open for further replies.