• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1A40 Penzance to Paddington GWR sleeper in trouble (19/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraggu

1A40 2115 Penzance to Paddington currently at a stand at Hemerdon after engine shut down.

Update: 1A40 declared a Failure. Class 08 will rescue the train and bring it to Plymouth where passengers will transfer to a HST. thats going to be fun for them.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8stewartt

Love it how an overnight express sleeper fails but then gets assistance from.....an 08! Brilliant!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
5Z70 15+55 Lairs to Old Oak Common arranged, 57603 on it's way down from Reading to work it. Can't understand whuy OOC as O thought all Maintenance was now done at Reading.
The 08 which rescued 1A40 had to be rescued itself at Plymouth by another 08 from Laira, the original one "blowing up" after it's mammoth effort.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Love it how an overnight express sleeper fails but then gets assistance from.....an 08! Brilliant!

I remember years ago being on the long-gone Muenchen-Oostende overnight D-zug and when I woke up we were moving very slowly. My head out of the window soon explained why - we were being pulled by a shunting locomotive of some kind.

No idea if that was booked or not.

D1009

Established Member
At least the HST made up 154 mins! with some help from a couple of fast stops.
That must have been something of a record for recent times, Plymouth to Exeter in 55 mins, Exeter to Reading via Bath in 1 hr 45 mins, and Reading to Padd in 23 mins, 3 hrs 9 mins overall inclusive of stops, many of which were omitted admittedly.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That must have been something of a record for recent times, Plymouth to Exeter in 55 mins, Exeter to Reading via Bath in 1 hr 45 mins, and Reading to Padd in 23 mins, 3 hrs 9 mins overall inclusive of stops, many of which were omitted admittedly.

It has a lot of time built into it to allow for Engineering diversions.

FGW_DID

Established Member
5Z70 15+55 Lairs to Old Oak Common arranged, 57603 on it's way down from Reading to work it. Can't understand whuy OOC as O thought all Maintenance was now done at Reading.
The 08 which rescued 1A40 had to be rescued itself at Plymouth by another 08 from Laira, the original one "blowing up" after it's mammoth effort.

Any maintenance will still be done at OOC for the time being. Reading is just being used for stabling / cleaning of the stock and is only TWThO.

Established Member
Here we go again... 5Z70 has come to a stand in Marley tunnel unable to obtain brake release. 57603 hauling 57604 and Sleeper ECS

D1009

Established Member
[
Here we go again... 5Z70 has come to a stand in Marley tunnel unable to obtain brake release. 57603 hauling 57604 and Sleeper ECS
Thanks, intending to return home from Exeter on 1M83, I've now adjourned to the Great Western. I guess there are worse places to be stuck!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
They’d do better getting rid of the 57/6s and getting a contract for 67s or 68s.

They will not. This issue has been done to death on the Forum already. A big issue is that GWR insist on crewing the locos rather than DBS or any other Company insist their own drivers drive them. There have not been many issues involving the 57s of late as compared with approx 3 years ago.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
[
Thanks, intending to return home from Exeter on 1M83, I've now adjourned to the Great Western. I guess there are worse places to be stuck!
Damn right. Comfy chairs too ;).

richa2002

Established Member
They will not. This issue has been done to death on the Forum already. A big issue is that GWR insist on crewing the locos rather than DBS or any other Company insist their own drivers drive them. There have not been many issues involving the 57s of late as compared with approx 3 years ago.
I suspect GWR would be fine with this. Instead, the unions wouldn't allow this booked work to be contracted out.

bus man

Showing as approaching totnes for last half hour. Wonder if it’s rexeiving attention or it’s in trouble again

On Moderation
I suspect GWR would be fine with this. Instead, the unions wouldn't allow this booked work to be contracted out.
Where does it say a change of traction provider has to be accompanied by change of company providing train crew? Lots of examples where hired in traction is used with the TOC’s own crews:
- Chiltern with DB 67s and DRS 68s
- VTEC Thunderbirds
- VTEC Class 90s
- Anglia Class 90s hired from DB
- ATW 67s

co-tr-paul

It was DBS who wanted their drivers.
Sigh. Why oh why do I have to keep repeating facts and explanations easily found previously posted on the Night Riviera thread ? :)

On Moderation
Sigh. Why oh why do I have to keep repeating facts and explanations easily found previously posted on the Night Riviera thread ? :)
Given the evidence I posted above, where there are plenty of examples of DB traction being crewed by TOC staff, it suggests limp GW management not being prepared to state the conditions they wanted. It's not difficult: go to tender and state it is for provision of traction only.

SamYeager

This issue has been done to death on the Forum already. A big issue is that GWR insist on crewing the locos rather than DBS or any other Company insist their own drivers drive them.

Perhaps because many of us don't routinely follow the Night Riviera thread? Equally it certainly wasn't clear to me that the issue was that both DBS & GWR wanted their own drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.