• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1C94 Euston-Lancaster (5th Sep) declared failure north of Stafford after damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJS2003

Hi All,

Was travelling on 1C94 Pendolino 1757hrs Euston to Lancaster last night (5th Sep) when while travelling north of Stafford at speed there were several loud bangs from under coach E. Sounded like it hit an object which in turn felt like it was being thrown around under the carriage.

The train continued for a few minutes before slowing to a complete stop with no power. The staff tried to investigate on site and use (I think) the tilting mechanism to gain more access to the wheelsets maybe.

Eventually declared total failure and a Voyager was sent from Crewe (apparently they had to cancel that service at Crewe to empty it) to come alongside and evacuate the Pendo onto the Voyager.

That could only take us back south to Stafford as I understand it was then running ECS onwards. We were then transferred onto 1P07 Euston to Preston and I arrived 3hrs later than expected.

All staff were great at keeping informed, fed and watered and spirits high.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows of what caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Collisions a bit strong!!

Sounds like it picked up something that was lying in the four foot.
Or maybe something fell from underneath the train itself.

AndrewE

Established Member
Was travelling on 1C94 Pendolino 1757hrs Euston to Lancaster last night (5th Sep) when while travelling north of Stafford at speed there were several loud bangs from under coach E. Sounded like it hit an object which in turn felt like it was being thrown around under the carriage.
Collision's a bit strong!! Sounds like it picked up something that was lying in the four foot.
or something like a badger (or someone who jumped)...
I remember being in the front coach of a loco-hauled-train from Narvik to Gallivare in Sweden which ran over a moose, or whatever their big deer are called.
It wasn't noticeable in that it didn't check the train, but we heard a lot of rattling around under our coach and saw a red spray come out of the side, followed by various white stick-like bits of debris which we assumed were the bones.
Something very similar happened recently as we travelled south through Leyland in a Pendolino, my heart was in my mouth (knowing what has repeatedly happened in that area) but I assume it must have been a big stick or a dog, as nothing else followed it.

bobbyrail

Collisions a bit strong!!

Sounds like it picked up something that was lying in the four foot.
Or maybe something fell from underneath the train itself.

No matter on what position an object was in the four foot or not, an impact is an impact, i am pretty sure that is how the RAIB see it anyway.

hwl

Established Member
Transformer tripped and air pipe damaged and leaking hence brake and pantograph issues.

Peter C

Established Member
Transformer tripped and air pipe damaged and leaking hence brake and pantograph issues.
I don't know a lot about the unit in question here, sorry, so is all of that under the carriage? I assume so.

-Peter

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I don't know a lot about the unit in question here, sorry, so is all of that under the carriage? I assume so.

-Peter
The brake pipe will be under the carriage. As well as the brakes, it supplies air to the pantograph and various other things, like doors, windscreen wipers, toilets(?) etc.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I know 3 hours might seem stupidly long to some people but that isn't bad - that just proves a problem like that should not take more than that. Sensible idea to terminate a Voyager at Crewe (I'm not being sarcastic don't worry) - North Wales bound 10-car one I assume - given there's plenty of trains to North Wales!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Chester/North Wales Voyagers were disrupted by the Pendolino failure on Thursday evening, but it looks like the 1935 Chester-Euston was the train terminated at Crewe to become the rescue train.
This would only have been 5 car (dropped off the 1710 Euston-Holyhead at Chester).
The Wrexham portion of the 1810 ex Euston didn't run beyond Chester, where it was 107 late.

Edders23

it could easily have been an animal I have had a muntjac go under my taxi before and do no damage other than a loud thud but had a rabbit once shatter the hydraulics. It all depends where the animal hits and the noise could have been it bouncing off the underside of the floor.

Even a small animal can break something critical if it hits it with some force

Llanigraham

On Moderation
it could easily have been an animal I have had a muntjac go under my taxi before and do no damage other than a loud thud but had a rabbit once shatter the hydraulics. It all depends where the animal hits and the noise could have been it bouncing off the underside of the floor.

Even a small animal can break something critical if it hits it with some force

I had a case of a DMU failing in Section after it hit a pheasant which tore a brake line.

PJS2003

This would only have been 5 car (dropped off the 1710 Euston-Holyhead at Chester).

Yep, it was a 5 car, and it lined up with the door in coach A of the Pendolino. As I walked across into the Voyager I was in the first class coach and was asked to sit anywhere. Took a seat in first class as did other passengers until it was full and the remainder filtered through. Thankfully the 1757 was nowhere near full so we all got on the 5 car Voyager without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.