• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1F09 Failed inside Severn Tunnel 10/12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Surprising that this has not made the forum but yesterday, GWR 1F09 0930 Cardiff to Portsmouth Hbr, became a complete failure inside the Severn Tunnel and worked by a pair of Turbos 165131 and 166209 (5 carriages in all). I cannot go back to Quote anything at this stage due to any items disappearing from the system with the train.
The train eventually came out of the Tunnel 146 minutes late but information is rather patchy.
Trains were allowed through on the Down Line after a time under Reversible working and each time the driver wanted to go onto the ground to deal with the issue the signaller had to be asked to put a block on. This would have been more difficult due to no through corridor access between the two units. Eventually an additional traincrew were dispatched to the scene and the train was finally split and came out in separate portions. If I receive information re the actual fault I will post it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
Surprising that this has not made the forum but yesterday, GWR 1F09 0930 Cardiff to Portsmouth Hbr, became a complete failure inside the Severn Tunnel and worked by a pair of Turbos 165131 and 166209 (5 carriages in all). I cannot go back to Quote anything at this stage due to any items disappearing from the system with the train.
The train eventually came out of the Tunnel 146 minutes late but information is rather patchy.
Trains were allowed through on the Down Line after a time under Reversible working and each time the driver wanted to go onto the ground to deal with the issue the signaller had to be asked to put a block on. This would have been more difficult due to no through corridor access between the two units. Eventually an additional traincrew were dispatched to the scene and the train was finally split and came out in separate portions. If I receive information re the actual fault I will post it.

Sounds horrible for all involved, let’s hope it doesn’t become a regular occurrence. Thanks for making us aware.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Sounds horrible for all involved, let’s hope it doesn’t become a regular occurrence. Thanks for making us aware.

I wonder why there’s been a cover up?

There has been no cover up as far as I can see. Much of the information has been obtained through Social Media and Forums , all GWR did was just what they usually post, i.e. details of delay on Journey Check.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Ah sorry, I misinterpreted your post and took it that GWR had removed any reference to the incident from internal systems you may have had access to.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Let's leave the "cover up" angle there shall we, I'm sure it was an honest mistake ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What do you mean by that?
I assume a reference to one of the internal industry systems like Tyrell that usually contains quite detailed internal information on what's occurring, who is doing what and what the plan is along with information that can be shared with the public (such as time scales, ticket acceptance etc).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What do you mean by that?

There is no quote because the only info in this case has disappeared from Journey Check or NRE after the train finished it's journey. Let's just get on by discussing the thread and not be pedantic. I only posted that in case somebody asked if I could quote from any source.

ChrisHogan

Suspect the "police incident" near Slough that stopped the job from 1035 for a couple of hours yesterday completely overshadowed the Severn Tunnel problem. The two in combination meant that there was hardly any service from South Wales to or from Paddn for several hours.

daikilo

Established Member
If the two sets were moved out separately it might suggest an issue with running in multiple such as a failure in the control system/s which either removed power or applied the brakes. Given the gradients in the tunnel it may have been unreasonable to shut down and tow one unit.

Parallel

Established Member
Earlier this year, I was on a 165+166 combo that developed a fault outside the Severn Tunnel, we were standed there for about 50 minutes. Apparently information was being given but the PIS was bust in one unit, the guard and driver were in the other unit. GWR twitter said 'delay is under investigation'

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Earlier this year, I was on a 165+166 combo that developed a fault outside the Severn Tunnel, we were standed there for about 50 minutes. Apparently information was being given but the PIS was bust in one unit, the guard and driver were in the other unit. GWR twitter said 'delay is under investigation'

If the guard was in the same unit as the driver (presumably front set) shouldn't the guard have been in the rear set? I always thought the guard had to stay in the rear, with the driver in the front set. (otherwise who is responsible for the rear set?)

Parallel

Established Member
If the guard was in the same unit as the driver (presumably front set) shouldn't the guard have been in the rear set? I always thought the guard had to stay in the rear, with the driver in the front set. (otherwise who is responsible for the rear set?)
I know Northern have this policy but the guard seems to go between the sets on GWR from what I've seen. There used to be occasions where services (some Summer only) were formed of 3 x 143 or 153 + 150/1 + 150/2 in the west, wouldn't have been possible to have a member of staff in all units.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I know Northern have this policy but the guard seems to go between the sets on GWR from what I've seen. There used to be occasions where services (some Summer only) were formed of 3 x 143 or 153 + 150/1 + 150/2 in the west, wouldn't have been possible to have a member of staff in all units.

Ok, thank you.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Not every TOC has that policy. This evening the guard worked a 12 car 319 set from the middle unit, leaving the rear one unstaffed.

packermac

The incident also caused the RTC tour to Cardiff to be diverted to BTM. Some passengers enquired about taking a service train back to Bath in case we did not get to Cardiff but that line was also closed due to a BTP incident.

father_jack

A second driver and guard were sent to the location of the problem on a westbound train, dropped off and both units ran independently as 1F09 and 1Z09 to Temple Meads.

Dren Ahmeti

Service alterations due to this were interesting:
1L65 ran Newport-Reading non-stop, 1hr08, panning up at Chipping Sodbury as it was very evidently on diesel and absolutely empty passing me on the platform at Parkway!

Envoy

Established Member
Not looking good is it - having trains of 2 + 3 coaches with no corridor connection!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I guess breaking in the tunnel is unfortunate but the 16x have ran in various multiple combinations since new. Not really caused an issue.

However I do prefer trains with corridor connections for many reason. No working toilet in your set? Could be a long wait to the next station. (Yes could happen on a solo set). Then watching the. Fare dodgers stand mid set the go for the one with no guard in etc.

drivers don’t like the gales however. Not sure if this is an issue on modern stock.

Dieseldriver

I mean, at the risk of turning this into a DOO thread, I'm sure it would be lovely for a Driver to be stuck in the middle of a 4 mile tunnel for 2 hours under the sea with 5 coach loads of passengers trying to rectify a complex fault, communicate with control, fleet, Signallers and aldo be in sole charge of hundreds of people...

Failed Unit

Established Member
I mean, at the risk of turning this into a DOO thread, I'm sure it would be lovely for a Driver to be stuck in the middle of a 4 mile tunnel for 2 hours under the sea with 5 coach loads of passengers trying to rectify a complex fault, communicate with control, fleet, Signallers and aldo be in sole charge of hundreds of people...
The train hit had a guard. They just couldn’t get between sets.

So the debate should become should each unit have had a guard (or conductor) in it. I guess that is a different debate but as you say the driver would have other things on their mind then the passengers like how to shift the train as quickly and safely as possible.

squizzler

Established Member
The apparent lack of incident coverage alluded to could be the result of people with mobiles being unable to post in real-time to their timelines on the usual websites: Facebook, Twitter, etc. No doubt that would be the most severe hardship for many!

Im sure someone will correct me if there is mobile reception in the tunnel :)

Andrew Ford

Service alterations due to this were interesting:
1L65 ran Newport-Reading non-stop, 1hr08, panning up at Chipping Sodbury as it was very evidently on diesel and absolutely empty passing me on the platform at Parkway!

How would a 16x pan up?

Status
Not open for further replies.