• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1H80 ; 1H81 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Does anyone remember the published books (forgot the publisher - was it Platform 5?) of 1H80, 1H81, 1H82, 1H83 etc. Basically it was a list of diagrams. I used it to know what type of loco was on a diagram and where to get the return leg etc for maximum mileage behind a particular loco.

Also, any other excellent publications you remember from the 80s.

I also remember Ian Allan trying to sue Dale Fickes when he bought a Railtraction allocation booklet in competition to Ian Allen, in 1973?1974?

Then along came the likes of Platform 5 and Metro Enterprises and absolutely totally blew the competition away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
I like the way Platform 5 revolutionised rolling stock books in the late 1970s. For too long, Ian Allan got away with the con trick of producing separate books for allocations and loco technical details. And the Platform 5 books had far more information in them.

50010 Monarch

I have a copy of 1H85 & it was compiled & edited by Ken Howard & published by Peter Watts publishing. Basically it provides a list of loco hauled passenger services & their respective headcodes. Train starting points are listed in alphabetical order but no loco diagrams are provided. Details of whether the train was formed of vacuum, air braked or air con stock were provided however.

A progression from this were the 'Loco Hauled Travel' books by Metro Enterprises. These provided a list of booked passenger workings for each class of loco & at the back was an alphabetical list of train starting points & headcodes as per the '1H**' books.

Both were very useful publications although they would be extremely thin books these days. Back in the eighties HST's didn't count as loco hauled!

D6975

Established Member
It probably wouldn't even be a book now, more of a leaflet...

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I like the way Platform 5 revolutionised rolling stock books in the late 1970s. For too long, Ian Allan got away with the con trick of producing separate books for allocations and loco technical details. And the Platform 5 books had far more information in them.

Oh yes, and when their "combine" came out, it was awesome.

GazzaB24

Sorry for being pedantic but 1H80, 1H81 were great for knowing what trains were loco-hauled (and thus avoiding units) but there weren't any "diagrams" as such in them. I suppose it comes down to what you define as a diagram but the previously mentioned "loco-hauled travel" books of the early 80's (also by platform 5) had the diagrams by loco class, or at least, anticipated diagrams for each class in. They even had some suggested moves near the back of the book if I remember correctly.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Sorry for being pedantic but 1H80, 1H81 were great for knowing what trains were loco-hauled (and thus avoiding units) but there weren't any "diagrams" as such in them. I suppose it comes down to what you define as a diagram but the previously mentioned "loco-hauled travel" books of the early 80's (also by platform 5) had the diagrams by loco class, or at least, anticipated diagrams for each class in. They even had some suggested moves near the back of the book if I remember correctly.

I am glad you were pedantic - because you are correct. My appologies. That is what I used them for - loco hauled travel. Yes Platform 5 had a superior product now you mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.