• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1Hxx Loco Haul Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Does anyone still have copies of the ones from 1987 to 1996 inclusive?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yep that's the one. What year did they finish ?

I'm not sure, I have one - 1986.

Wow, that bought back memories.

I'm too young for when they first came out, but I find it interesting from a historical point of view - how things have changed as it were that sort of thing.

The considerable reduction in loco-haulage since then. By comparison I have a list of all the booked loco-haulage in Ireland for 2004, compare that to today and rather like the UK it's considerable decimation (in Ireland it's near total really) - what's left is typically push-pull worked and on longer-distance InterCity routes.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I can't believe that I dumped all my copies not realising what an interesting read it would have been today.

I think they would be to a lot of people either who want to remember those times or who weren't around then who wish to learn about them such as myself.

History has always interested me, and railway history is no exception. I find the changes through the years very interesting, often because they can be so stark even just one year to the next.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure, I have one - 1986.

I'm too young for when they first came out, but I find it interesting from a historical point of view - how things have changed as it were that sort of thing.

The considerable reduction in loco-haulage since then. By comparison I have a list of all the booked loco-haulage in Ireland for 2004, compare that to today and rather like the UK it's considerable decimation (in Ireland it's near total really) - what's left is typically push-pull worked and on longer-distance InterCity routes.
Yes it really has changed, although it has been making a bit of a comeback in recent years.
I was wondering the other day which year did we reach minimum loco hauled services in this country?
There’d have to be at least two different categories - overall weekly mileage, variety of traction and also maybe destinations served?

Re those books - They were very useful for planning moves away from your normal area if you weren’t one of the ‘Main Men’, which I definitely wasn’t, although I dabbled a bit and knew a few back in the day.
The one you’ve pictured is from the year I started bashing.
Is it a winter timetable one?
I was wondering if you could tell me what 33 turns were around Exeter back then?
I think a few Exeter - Paignton weekday jobs, and possibly a few Barnstaple turns although they could’ve been diagrammed for 31/4s?
Maybe a few Brighton turns too?
( I feel like I’m setting you homework here ;))

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes it really has changed, although it has been making a bit of a comeback in recent years.

Which I personally am quite pleased about!

I was wondering the other day which year did we reach minimum loco hauled services in this country?
There’d have to be at least two different categories - overall weekly mileage, variety of traction and also maybe destinations served?

I think it would be a few years ago perhaps when Chiltern and ScotRail had no loco-hauled stuff and the 37s weren't out abd about so much.

Re those books - They were very useful for planning moves away from your normal area if you weren’t one of the ‘Main Men’, which I definitely wasn’t, although I dabbled a bit and knew a few back in the day.
The one you’ve pictured is from the year I started bashing.
Is it a winter timetable one?
I was wondering if you could tell me what 33 turns were around Exeter back then?
I think a few Exeter - Paignton weekday jobs, and possibly a few Barnstaple turns although they could’ve been diagrammed for 31/4s?
Maybe a few Brighton turns too?
( I feel like I’m setting you homework here ;))

Apologies, that was an example photo I got from Google, the only one I possess is 1986.

delt1c

Established Member
Remember them well amnd they revealed some gems, like 08 haulage (I joke not) , also summer only services with 20's and other no heat freight loco's

sprinterguy

Established Member
A query possibly worthy of a thread in itself, but if we're including push-pull workings in the equation then I reckon it'll be sometime between the cessation of regular WCML push-pull workings in June 2005 and commencement of Wrexham & Shropshire services in April 2008.

Outside of the stalwart East Coast and Anglian electric push-pull workings, was there much at all in the way of regular scheduled loco-hauled workings during 2007? A scratch set of class 90 hauled mark 3s, that ultimately earned the "Pretendolino" moniker after they were tarted up, started operating a daily weekday diagram in March that year, and there were ad-hoc class 90 hauled mark 2 services for Virgin Crosscountry between Birmingham and Manchester until August. Presumably the odd Pendolino drag from Crewe to Holyhead, too. The Rhymney class 37 workings had ceased in December 2006, and the Welsh "Gerald" service didn't commence until December 2008.

theblackwatch

Established Member
This thread title is a bit confusing as it refers to two separate series of books:
the 1Hxx series - published by Peter Watts Publishing (he of Pathfinder Tours).
Loco Hauled Travel - published by Platform 5/Metro Enterprises and compiled by the late Neil Webster.

Loco Hauled Travel migrated into a (thinner) publication called Diagram Diary - I think the first of these was in 1989. They clearly ceased by 2001 as Neil Webster died in that year. By then, Freightmaster was also publishing a title called Class One.

I think the last 1Hxx publication was 1H86 or 1H87 - you can still find them on sale on Pathfinder trains!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
This thread title is a bit confusing as it refers to two separate series of books:
the 1Hxx series - published by Peter Watts Publishing (he of Pathfinder Tours).
Loco Hauled Travel - published by Platform 5/Metro Enterprises and compiled by the late Neil Webster.

Loco Hauled Travel migrated into a (thinner) publication called Diagram Diary - I think the first of these was in 1989. They clearly ceased by 2001 as Neil Webster died in that year. By then, Freightmaster was also publishing a title called Class One.

I think the last 1Hxx publication was 1H86 or 1H87 - you can still find them on sale on Pathfinder trains!

Wasn't aware of the distinction and when the OP said "yep, that's the one", I assumed it was simply a different name for it.

Did they cover the same thing?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A query possibly worthy of a thread in itself, but if we're including push-pull workings in the equation then I reckon it'll be sometime between the cessation of regular WCML push-pull workings in June 2005 and commencement of Wrexham & Shropshire services in April 2008.

Outside of the stalwart East Coast and Anglian electric push-pull workings, was there much at all in the way of regular scheduled loco-hauled workings during 2007? A scratch set of class 90 hauled mark 3s, that ultimately earned the "Pretendolino" moniker after they were tarted up, started operating a daily weekday diagram in March that year, and there were ad-hoc class 90 hauled mark 2 services for Virgin Crosscountry between Birmingham and Manchester until August. Presumably the odd Pendolino drag from Crewe to Holyhead, too. The Rhymney class 37 workings had ceased in December 2006, and the Welsh "Gerald" service didn't commence until December 2008.
I’ll start a new thread on it at some point over the weekend then, because it is quite an interesting subject and I reckon you might be right at guessing 2007ish.
I’ll do it tomorrow when I have all my faculties. ;)

theblackwatch

Established Member
Wasn't aware of the distinction and when the OP said "yep, that's the one", I assumed it was simply a different name for it.

Did they cover the same thing?

They were slightly different - the Loco-Hauled Travel books gave actual loco diagrams, whereas the 1Hxx series was a list of headcodes for loco hauled stock, along with (if my memory is right) whether the train was formed of Vacuum, Air or Dual Braked stock. The Loco-Hauled Travel books were later expanded to include an appendix of headcodes - I'm not sure if this occurred after the demise of the 1Hxx books or if it caused them to cease though!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They were slightly different - the Loco-Hauled Travel books gave actual loco diagrams, whereas the 1Hxx series was a list of headcodes for loco hauled stock, along with (if my memory is right) whether the train was formed of Vacuum, Air or Dual Braked stock. The Loco-Hauled Travel books were later expanded to include an appendix of headcodes - I'm not sure if this occurred after the demise of the 1Hxx books or if it caused them to cease though!

There is an index of departures from each station that were loco-hauled with headcodes listed in my 1986 Loco-Hauled Travel book, though I'm not sure if that's quite what you meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.