• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1K08 0945 Llandudno to Crewe - 3rd January 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
I've just been checking the service from North Wales to Manchester on 3rd January for Mrs Welshman, who is keen to spend her Christmas money!

According to RTT, the service from Llandudno to Manchester is due to be reinstated on 3rd January [depending, I suppose, on any late-running engineering operations around Ordsall].

But does anyone know why the above service is already scheduled to run to Crewe instead of Manchester?

It just seems to be a "one-off" - the Manchester service is scheduled to run normally, otherwise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've just been checking the service from North Wales to Manchester on 3rd January for Mrs Welshman, who is keen to spend her Christmas money!

According to RTT, the service from Llandudno to Manchester is due to be reinstated on 3rd January [depending, I suppose, on any late-running engineering operations around Ordsall].

But does anyone know why the above service is already scheduled to run to Crewe instead of Manchester?

It just seems to be a "one-off" - the Manchester service is scheduled to run normally, otherwise.

I'm going to hazard a guess from what I can find. A "fiddle" to get units back in place. In effect a Llandudno to Manchester changing over with the Crewe shuttle at Chester.

Welshman

Established Member
That seems a good guess, thank you.

Looking again at RTT, I notice there is a 1052 to Manchester Airport starting from platform 5 at Chester.
Although the ATW journey-planner suggests going via Crewe to Manchester, I wonder whether to recommend her to switch to the 1052 if her train is in on time, as she arrives on the adjacent platform 4.
But it could be academic anyway as I will be suggesting she goes via Crewe if they are still bussing the Warrington-Manchester section!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That seems a good guess, thank you.

Looking again at RTT, I notice there is a 1052 to Manchester Airport starting from platform 5 at Chester.
Although the ATW journey-planner suggests going via Crewe to Manchester, I wonder whether to recommend her to switch to the 1052 if her train is in on time, as she arrives on the adjacent platform 4.
But it could be academic anyway as I will be suggesting she goes via Crewe if they are still bussing the Warrington-Manchester section!

Shouldn't be but keep fingers crossed !!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Do ATW still divert trains via Altrincham when Warrington to Manchester is blocked?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Do ATW still divert trains via Altrincham when Warrington to Manchester is blocked?

During the current Ordsall Lane blockade they have been turning at Warrington.
Saves a unit (or two), and maintains Warrington WCML connections.
It's also harder finding paths on the CLC during the week.

Edit:
Don't forget the Virgin-only option from Llandudno Junction.
The 0939 from LLJ via Crewe (15 min wait) will get you to Manchester at 1146.
You have to wait till late afternoon for trains back though (1655 is the first), and the wait at Crewe is 25 min.
The Virgin-only off peak return ticket is cheaper too (£21.50 v £27.15).

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Welshman

Established Member
Edit:
Don't forget the Virgin-only option from Llandudno Junction.
The 0939 from LLJ via Crewe (15 min wait) will get you to Manchester at 1146.
You have to wait till late afternoon for trains back though (1655 is the first), and the wait at Crewe is 25 min.
The Virgin-only off peak return ticket is cheaper too (£21.50 v £27.15).

Yes. Thank-you for that. It's something to keep in mind.

greaterwest

Established Member
These trains are to maintain route knowledge in order to divert in the event of Engineering work. Diverts happen quite often but subject to pathing.

I don't think they're going to be short of paths at 0400hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.