• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st Class complimentaries on South West Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Lewis

Quick query?

I am travelling First Class on the 15.20 Waterloo to Exeter St. Davids later today. Can I expect anything complimentary in First Class from the trolley? Also, is the train likely to be very busy, as I only have a counted place, not a seat reservation.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnny Lewis

Thanks a lot! At least I will be spared any embarassment when I order tea, water, orange juice, gin, sandwiches, crisps, cake, biscuits and a banana, all of which I am currently enjoying for free on East Coast!!!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Its a 'Regional Express' rather then Intercity, so your ticket gets you a nicer seat* and that's it

*most 159s have the same seats as First on EC, it's not like Southern where you get the same seat with a antimacassar. Also be advised that Window alignment is poor as the windows are spaced for standard (where there is perfect alignment)

Muzer

Established Member
I might just be weird, but I really dislike the seats in first. Seriously, I would pay more to sit in standard.

(I seem to recall in my vague memories that there used to be something complimentary, or am I going crazy?)

Andrewlong

If the author wanted freebies, did not the topic raiser consider travelling with FGW instead ?

Birdbrain

159 First class is a waste of time in my opinion.The standard seats are comfortable and align with the windows perfectly, the first seats do not.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
If the author wanted freebies, did not the topic raiser consider travelling with FGW instead ?

Perhaps the OP found cheaper tickets with SWT instead of FGW, which can be quite pricey (of course, I'm certainly not judging the OP's finances!)

I've yet to try First Class with SWT. I must try it very soon.

I've done Bath Spa-Clapham Junction on a 159 in First class before, on a weekend. Nothing free, but I feel that the extra couple of quid that I paid was worth it to have a table to myself, a comfortable seat and a plug socket.

Admittedly, Standard looked nice too, so wouldn't be too bad being stuck in there.

Compared to FGW where you can sometimes be lucky even to get a coffee, banana and a tiny cookie for free then the saving on SWT would be worth it (c'mon, buying those things would set you back the best part of £4) - though if FGW offered WiFi then it'd be a different story.

Muzer

Established Member
The plug socket is the only reason I'd use first class. If I were on the train for more than an hour, I might consider it for that.

Qwerty133

Established Member
I've done Bath Spa-Clapham Junction on a 159 in First class before, on a weekend. Nothing free, but I feel that the extra couple of quid that I paid was worth it to have a table to myself, a comfortable seat and a plug socket.

Admittedly, Standard looked nice too, so wouldn't be too bad being stuck in there.

Compared to FGW where you can sometimes be lucky even to get a coffee, banana and a tiny cookie for free then the saving on SWT would be worth it (c'mon, buying those things would set you back the best part of £4) - though if FGW offered WiFi then it'd be a different story.

where do you shop- you can easily get that for just over £2

starrymarkb

Established Member
With First and Standard being similarly priced on SWT (and both far cheaper then FGW standard) I'll be giving 159 First a go in August - Definitely think the extra £5 return will be worth it on a Summer Saturday (when standard is likely to be busy and full of kids!)

Actually this will be the first time I've travelled in First while paying for it (before has either been declassifed ex-TPX and the other was an free upgrade due to a vehicle fault on the ICE)

Status
Not open for further replies.