• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st Class Free Alcohol Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Are any other long haul operators likely to join VTWC and LNER and offer their First Class Passengers a free tipple or two. I know GWR do occasionally break out the "free wine" but why not go the whole hog and have free booze as standard on premium routes.

Cross Country could do with joining in as well.

Does anyone know the reason GWR have not got the same policy as VTWC and LNER - is it historic or a conscious business decision ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Those not drinking - early trains, people going to meetings, people with parked cars etc etc would be paying for the heavy drinkers.

Iskra

Established Member
EMT do in their London lounge on an evening, and possibly on their evening peak trains too.

Butts

Veteran Member
EMT do in their London lounge on an evening, and possibly on their evening peak trains too.

Which Station are we talking about ? And can anyone confirm free scotch is available to 1st Class Passengers on a par with Virgin and LNER ?

robbeech

Established Member
The obvious answer (and please note this is from someone who does a fair bit of 1st travel up and down the ECML and to a lesser extent the WCML and doesn’t mind a drink) is that in the current railway world there are better things to look to improve.

Cross country would be an obvious choice but there are a fair few inexpensive* FOR on the shorter legs which may suffer.

*relatively so if looking to include a beer or glass of wine.

robbeech

Established Member
I don’t think so, I assume as it is ‘complimentary’ it has no price and as such does not fall Under the rules. Though I cannot say for sure.

Butts

Veteran Member
The obvious answer (and please note this is from someone who does a fair bit of 1st travel up and down the ECML and to a lesser extent the WCML and doesn’t mind a drink) is that in the current railway world there are better things to look to improve.

Cross country would be an obvious choice but there are a fair few inexpensive* FOR on the shorter legs which may suffer.

*relatively so if looking to include a beer or glass of wine.

There may be "better things" but not many that could be changed so quickly - ie overnight.

robbeech

Established Member
There may be "better things" but not many that could be changed so quickly - ie overnight.
I agree this would seem really straightforward but no doubt they’d have to actually discuss it a bit first rather than pop to bookers (wholesale warehouses are available) on the way into work.

I suspect currently there is more chance of one of the current operators removing at least some of the offerings rather than any more adding to it though I’d be more than happy to be proved wrong for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.