• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st class if standard class is actually full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Established Member
It's nothing to do with one passenger being more important than another. More to do with somebody paying for a service.

For example, if a Standard Class passenger has reserved a seat, and another has not, as the rules stand, the passenger who reserved the seat is entitled to it (even if they paid less), and the passenger who did not reserve a seat is not. Both are Standard Class ticket holders, and both are equally important, but if the non-reservation holder is sitting in a reserved seat, I will move them out to make way for the reservation holder. However, if First Class is full, I will not go through Standard Class moving passengers out of seats to allow a First Class ticket-holder to sit down.

If a First Class ticket-holder has paid for First Class, they are entitled to travel in it. Under ordinary circumstances, a Standard Class ticket-holder is not entitled to travel there without permission. If the Standard Class passenger is not willing to pay for the privilege, they can't travel there. In a lot of cases it has more to do with the over-inflated ego of the individual traveller, and their own sense of importance. How else do you account for the individual (season ticket holder) I have come across standing in First Class on three different trains in the last fortnight? Why does he think he is entitled to stand there? What about his season ticket makes him more important than the thousands of others?

I have seen very well known faces from show-business and politics in both classes (and passed by hundreds more unrecognised, I am sure). If the train had crashed, I'm sure that news stories would have concentrated on the fact that "Joe Blogs, Footballer and his wife, Joanne Blogs, Actress" were on the train, but this would not mean that when the Blogs get on the train they are entitled to any more service than the couple of shop-workers in the table across from them who decided to splash out on an Advance First Class as a treat on their birthday trip to London.

It is actually very democratic - all anybody needs to do is pay the correct fare. My colleagues and I don't care about their religion, race, nationality, age, sexual orientation, occupation, criminal record or dress sense. All we care about is that they have a valid ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shempz

It'll be the latter. A gross exaggeration and the train not being crush loaded throughout at all.

Personally, unless the next train is hours away, if a train is crush loaded I get on the next one for my own sanity/comfort.

In fairness, the Uckfield line during peak (6.30ish onwards from Uckfield) is overcrowded on a normal day...any problems and it is a veal crate, especially given the trains are only every 30mins or 1hr depending on the time of day. Saying that, if this specifically related to passengers who boarded at Oxted rather than further down the Uckfield line, then they also have the East Grinstead line in to London as an option. In this instance maybe the overcrowding was caused by problems on the East Grin line rather than the Uckfield line, meaning everyone was trying to get on an already full Uckfield train which also would only have between 6 - 8 coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.