• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st class on commuter services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddon

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I board a commuter service in South London, between two stations that have no first class ticketing, (for example Streatham Common to Wandsworth Common) and the stock used includes first class seating, am I allowed to use it?

What if part of the train's route takes it through two stations that do have first class services (i.e. a Caterham to Victoria service will pass through East Croydon and Clapham Junction, a route for which first class tickets can be bought, but most other stops on route are standard class only)

Any advice appreciated...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Nope, if a RPI was to come along they'd charge you the equivalent of 1.5 times your original ticket (clarification needed on exact number) to act as a First Class supplement.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
look at the timetable. is FC advertised for that train? if not all accomodation is considered standard class and any first class areas are considered 'declassified'.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
look at the timetable. is FC advertised for that train? if not all accomodation is considered standard class and any first class areas are considered 'declassified'.

Didn't happen yesterday when there was a HST vice 150, but that's another story.... :-x;)

Daniel

Established Member
As Yorkie states - if the timetable advertises that the train does not have first class service, but the train it uses does, then it is effectively declassified.

thefab444

Established Member
if the timetable advertises that the train does not have first class service, but the train it uses does, then it is effectively declassified.

So does the timetable not advertising anything count? I presume it does, as when 450/0 units used to run the Hounslow loop services, FC was not even mentioned in the timetable, but was still declassified.

Daniel

Established Member
That's what I meant thefab444. If a train doesn't state the service conveys first class then that's what I would class the timetable as showing a train not having FC.

glynn80

Established Member
That's what I meant thefab444. If a train doesn't state the service conveys first class then that's what I would class the timetable as showing a train not having FC.

It is not whether the TOC issued timetable states whether the service has First Class or not (some Intercity TOCs such as EMT don't mention which of their services conveys First Class, http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk...-A6CF-5B14526ECB20/0/Route1TimetableDec09.pdf), it is whether the National Rail Timetable (http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3828.aspx) lists the service as conveying First Class or not (designated by a "1" in the box above the particular service):

2yueoih.jpg

HelloMello

Not sure if they still do it, but if you were on the Weybridge <> Waterloo via Hounslow service and it has first class it normally says on the P.A "All seats on the service are standard class"

Status
Not open for further replies.